answered

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

answered

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:18 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Disclose the reason for leaving my current firm? (Firm in a wormhole)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it comes up, is this something I want to mention? My current firm is currently in a deep hole for several wrongdoings and the feds came down hard on it. I have nothing to do with it as a law clerk and not yet having received any full time associate offer.

I am in the process of jumping ship and finding a new job. If they ask, is this something I should disclose and say I had no part in it and it was kept hidden from new hires? (including me the law clerk)

Kind of seems like sensitive information and inappropriate to talk about. Maybe think of a different reason to say, like looking for more of a challenge or something?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:31 pm

don't bring it up and it it comes up just tell them that you werent involved and don't really know much about the whole situation. you're interviewing at x firm because they have a strong y practice group or are well known in the legal field for z.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah don't mention that, guilt by association is human nature, and one mention of that, that is all they will associate you with.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:37 pm

i only clicked this thread to find out about your firm's space exploration but now i'm really disappointed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 pm

I would look at your documentation to see whether you have an NDA or some other confidentiality requirement, and start from there.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Postby lacrossebrother » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 pm

LeDique wrote:i only clicked this thread to find out about your firm's space exploration but now i'm really disappointed

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Out the firm here obviously...

So we can all apply there and get in on this space shit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:32 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Disclose the reason for leaving my shady firm? but how?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:33 am

You're really focusing on the wrong details here. Forget about the Feds and the firm's problems. The way to explain that is simple: "It's a small firm that expected to hire me on a permanent basis but circumstances prevented it from being able to."

What work did you do as a "law clerk?" Is it basically attorney-level work or were you more like a paralegal or file clerk? How long is "prolonged?" Months? Years?

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 am

You should leave the firm immediately. IMHO, ongoing association with the firm hurts you more than helps. An employer may wonder why you haven't left already, given that your pay is low and you're still a clerk with no immediate hope for advancement. If you talk about the "feds" freezing this firms assets as the reason you haven't been promoted during interviews, I'd assume it is an auto-ding. Generally it is easier to find a job when you have a job, but this seems to be an exception.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:You're really focusing on the wrong details here. Forget about the Feds and the firm's problems. The way to explain that is simple: "It's a small firm that expected to hire me on a permanent basis but circumstances prevented it from being able to."

What work did you do as a "law clerk?" Is it basically attorney-level work or were you more like a paralegal or file clerk? How long is "prolonged?" Months? Years?

OP here. I did associate work. No paralegal. The main reason why I took this job on while waiting on bar results was a promise that I would get amazing litigation experience, which I did. Now although I love my boss and co-workers, it's been 6 months since I had passed the July bar and sworn in.

ClubberLang wrote:You should leave the firm immediately. IMHO, ongoing association with the firm hurts you more than helps. An employer may wonder why you haven't left already, given that your pay is low and you're still a clerk with no immediate hope for advancement. If you talk about the "feds" freezing this firms assets as the reason you haven't been promoted during interviews, I'd assume it is an auto-ding. Generally it is easier to find a job when you have a job, but this seems to be an exception.

Well it's better to be paid than not pay. It's not that I need the money but I don't want to be home searching for jobs all day. I do that at work while being paid and post on tls lol. I am just curious about what would be the best way to explain my situation without prompting more questions.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 pm

There is no good way to explain your situation which is why you should get out of it.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Why can't you just say the firm isn't in a position to give you a permanent job? This stuff happens all the time. I don't get what the problem is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Why can't you just say the firm isn't in a position to give you a permanent job? This stuff happens all the time. I don't get what the problem is.

OP here. Because it would cause the employer to think I am incompetent and that is the reason why they are not offering. It would be weird to hire something pending bar results without plans to keep them as law clerk. I chose not to quit because litigation side of the firm is fine and I think it's better to work and build experience even if the pay is terrible.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Why can't you just say the firm isn't in a position to give you a permanent job? This stuff happens all the time. I don't get what the problem is.

OP here. Because it would cause the employer to think I am incompetent and that is the reason why they are not offering. It would be weird to hire something pending bar results without plans to keep them as law clerk. I chose not to quit because litigation side of the firm is fine and I think it's better to work and build experience even if the pay is terrible.

I don't think that's true. "Law clerk" implies a degree of nonpermanance and small firms don't always have capacity to hire people. I think it would be eminently reasonable to say "they hoped to keep me on after law school but unfortunately they haven't had the need to hire new associates on a permanent basis, so I'm looking elsewhere." Your supervisor is supportive so hopefully s/he will corroborate that they wanted to keep you but aren't in a position to do so. You're making this too complicated.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why would the firm jump to that conclusion? Especially if it is another smaller firm, they are going to understand that firms won't be able to hire every temporary clerk they bring in regardless of how qualified they are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Return to “Legal Employment�