Investigations Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BizBro

Silver

Investigations

Post by BizBro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:23 am

How's investigations work in big law? What are typical exit options?

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Re: Investigations

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:59 am

Lots of doc review... lots and lots of doc review. That's how they work

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 am

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:Lots of doc review... lots and lots of doc review. That's how they work
As a junior associate but then you start getting tasks like preparing interview questions etc right?

Where do these 3rd or 4th yea associates end up?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:48 am

divorce court

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:59 am

Lol anyone have any non troll responses?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am

At my firm, investigations is generally considered a group where the work isn't very exciting but where the partners can get you to the USAO or SEC.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 am

Lincoln wrote:At my firm, investigations is generally considered a group where the work isn't very exciting but where the partners can get you to the USAO or SEC.
Is this like best case scenario or fairly common across the industry? What kind of roles would be available at the SEC?

I like the sound of investigations but I worry because sir pirate has so many more lateral options. Scared I'll do doc review for 3 years, get shit canned, and then have to leave the profession all together

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 am

BizBro wrote:Is this like best case scenario or fairly common across the industry? What kind of roles would be available at the SEC?
I don't really know, cause it's not my group. We have a former senior SEC person and a well regarded former AUSA in our investigations group, and my understanding is having them as references helps. Can't speak to other firms.
BizBro wrote:I like the sound of investigations but I worry because sir pirate has so many more lateral options. Scared I'll do doc review for 3 years, get shit canned, and then have to leave the profession all together
hehe

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 pm

I interviewed for a lateral position doing white collar work and was asked what my least favorite part of my current job was. I answered doc review. I did not receive an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

speed_the_loot

New

Post by speed_the_loot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Last edited by speed_the_loot on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:04 am

Doc review, write interview outlines, participate in witness interviews (mainly take notes), write interview memos, put together presentations, take notes on phone calls and meetings with the government and write memos on them. Probably take on a couple of factual areas in the case and become the subject matter expert on them and write memos and brief other attorneys on them.

Go read the Valukas report or the Wells report and imagine that it was actually the work product of a couple dozen associates and a half dozen partners. That gives you a sense (though most investigations never occur in anything like that public a fashion or as large a scale). Maybe instead of putting together a public report on whether Tom Brady deflated footballs, you're putting together a confidential presentation to the SEC about whether Mega Corp's Russian joint venture bribed a local government minister to get products on the shelves. Same general process.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:23 am

It's all doc review. If you're senior enough you get to meet with important people and take notes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:03 am

Exit options would be a federal agency like the SEC (Enforcement or OCIE) or DOJ, general counsel's office at a major corporation, and senior compliance roles at financial institutions or large corporations.

The federal agency and corporate GC options are difficult to get without connections and being at the right place at the right time, but compliance roles are pretty easy to get and have good hours and salaries. Most people I know ended up in high level compliance roles in banks and one at the SEC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”