T14 debt better than full-ride at T20-30 school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 debt better than full-ride at T20-30 school?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Say full ride at T20-T25 school vs whatever debt you have at your current school. If you had to do it again, would you still go to your T14 or take the full ride with less prestige and presumably less job prospect?

A paralegal at my work has great numbers for law school but is seriously debt averse. Our firm is in a large market on the west coast. I am curious to know the answer to this.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: For those who graduated from T14 with significant debt, would you do it again vs full ride at lower school?

Postby grand inquisitor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:55 pm

didn't you already make this thread?

Anonymous User

Re: For those who graduated from T14 with significant debt, would you do it again vs full ride at lower school?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:56 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:didn't you already make this thread?

i did not but if there is a same thread i apologize i will delete it.

Pokemon

Gold

Re: T14 debt better than full-ride at T20-30 school?

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:17 pm

If full ride, you must take the t-30. If partial it gets tricky since you have to value increased chances of unemployment versus lower debt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Pokemon wrote:If full ride, you must take the t-30. If partial it gets tricky since you have to value increased chances of unemployment versus lower debt.

OP here. Considering most biglaw associates call it quits soon after they are able to pay down their debt, isn't this a factor to consider? I guess the advantage of T14 is that there is more likely chances of being employed than going to T30.... but it seems like it's also a steep price to pay for years to pay down the debt.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Say full ride at T20-T25 school vs whatever debt you have at your current school. If you had to do it again, would you still go to your T14 or take the full ride with less prestige and presumably less job prospect?

A paralegal at my work has great numbers for law school but is seriously debt adverse. Our firm is in a large market on the west coast. I am curious to know the answer to this.

Depends on so many things, but probably the full ride honestly. I didn't go to a T14 and I have massive debt so I guess I picked the option marked "neither"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm a 3L at a bottom-half T-14 (#8-14) with a half-ride scholarship and I chose this over multiple full rides at schools around #20. I'm doing well in school and am an SA at a biglaw firm right now.

I think if I could do it again, I'd take a full ride. The freedom associated with no debt is hard to beat. With that said, had I gone to the lower ranked school, done worse in classes, and struck out at the decent job options, I'd be kicking myself for not going T-14. So I think most of the answers you get are going to be colored by experiences that a prospective student can't expect to match (whether that be striking out or doing great - you simply don't know).

rwe13

New

Postby rwe13 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Took 165 T-20 over 150 T-14 and 45 T-6 and don't regret it For what I want to do and where I want to work my school is fine and I'm super debt averse
That being said I don't think I'd regret the T-14 either and it would have provided added security

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L at a bottom-half T-14 (#8-14) with a half-ride scholarship and I chose this over multiple full rides at schools around #20. I'm doing well in school and am an SA at a biglaw firm right now.

I think if I could do it again, I'd take a full ride. The freedom associated with no debt is hard to beat. With that said, had I gone to the lower ranked school, done worse in classes, and struck out at the decent job options, I'd be kicking myself for not going T-14. So I think most of the answers you get are going to be colored by experiences that a prospective student can't expect to match (whether that be striking out or doing great - you simply don't know).

OP here.

Thanks for this post. I learned from my friends who took out sticker at T16/T17ish school that it took them 7 years on average paying $2000 a month to get rid of the debt. That's just for law school. He has been doing biglaw for all these years. He truly had no other option it seems than to do biglaw. I remember he would go into work by 9AM the latest and usually got off work at 7PM-8PM, sometimes at 6PM if he has to go to some networking function.

It's hard to imagine a long term life like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm

I did T14 with debt and don't regret it, but I'm also on PAYE and mostly don't care about the debt sitting there.

Internetdan

New

Postby Internetdan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Strive til I die.
Stryve 4 Lyfe.

ComesNowAS

New

Postby ComesNowAS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Took the full ride over 25% scholarship at T14s. I'm a very risk averse person, and not having the pressure of debt was a godsend. I'm a bit more limited in my career options, but given my goals at the beginning of the process it was the right move -- and I've been fortunate enough to do well and open up the doors that I would have wanted to have open by going the T14 route anyway.

As a poster stated above, though, the outcome could have been different -- i.e. not do very well with a full ride -- and I may have regretted not taking the T14.

bretby

Bronze

Postby bretby » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:05 pm

I'm only a rising 2L, but I also took a full ride at a T30 over 25% at T6 and I don't regret it. Friends that took on debt to go to T6 are trapped doing biglaw, but I don't have that burden. That said, I had no interest in biglaw and knew that going in. Also, I was conscious that I had to not only network hard but also do really well in my classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:08 pm

I'd take T14 with 40% scholarship all over again, because I'm an obscenely lazy student and, even accounting for the fact that it would theoretically be easier, don't think I'd have done well enough at the T20 to have a high chance at getting the job I landed.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond, or are you energized and perform better with strong competition?

If a school offers you a full ride or close to it, I'd assume you would be coming in with a high LSAT relative to your classmates and would do better than median grades wise if you put in the work. Would this be a fair assumption to make? OL here

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond, or are you energized and perform better with strong competition?

If a school offers you a full ride or close to it, I'd assume you would be coming in with a high LSAT relative to your classmates and would do better than median grades wise if you put in the work. Would this be a fair assumption to make? OL here

I wouldn't exactly call a T20 a "small pond." There's very little difference (if any) between your average Vandy student and your average Cornell student.

Eta: Woof!

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond, or are you energized and perform better with strong competition?

To some degree you can obviously judge your own ability and work ethic compared to the average person at a school, but this is very difficult for a number of reasons. First, many people are not great at self-evaluating and may be inclined to overestimate their academic ability, especially if they are trying to justify going to a lower ranked school but still expecting to do well. Second, I think people often underestimate how driven everyone else will be to do well. GPA and LSAT are somewhat correlated with performance in first year classes, but it is not a perfect correlation and there are plenty of people with high stats who don't do well, and people below the 25th percentile LSAT and GPA who end up in the top 25%.

Personally, I did feel like I would be able to do well compared to others at my school, and I did, but I could have just as easily been wrong and ended up without a biglaw job and a ton of debt. I know people with full merit scholarships (and presumably had better stats than I did) who struck out at OCI, and I'm sure they started thinking they were in a good position based on their LSAT and GPAs.
Last edited by Avian on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Removed

Postby soj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Return to “Legal Employment�