Anyone works at a PE firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone works at a PE firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 am

I am looking to have a career at a middle market PE firm. Can anyone share experiences working at PE as a JD holder? Which skill sets are required/desired? e.g. ability to read financial statements, CPA is recommended, developing licensing agreements, etc? How do partners bring money for funds?

mvp99

Silver

Re: Anyone works at a PE firm?

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:49 am

wallstreet oasis has some of the info youre looking for, including some insights into the fee structure in these firms (they basically charge two kinds of fees, smaller and numerous fees that I would guess are meant to mostly pay for overhead cost and a substantial percentage e.g. 20% of the profits of the fund which they probably use to pay for bonuses) how high level employees are compensated, etc. I think (from what I read) that LBOs use to be the norm but now funds require a few people with substantial amount of money to set up a fund. The principal investors receive larger returns not proportional to the investment of smaller investors and their precense is used to lure in everyone else. interesting stuff....

twixt

New

Re: Anyone works at a PE firm?

Postby twixt » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 am

Mergers and Inquisitions would be really good for you to check out, they focus a lot on the more mature candidates and if you search they have multiple in-depth articles about how to transition from law to finance. You will need to know accounting and modeling, so I'd start studying up before any interviews (finance interviews include technical portions where you will be quizzed on this).

Return to “Legal Employment�