First Ever Summer Associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First Ever Summer Associate

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Does anyone have experience being the first ever summer associate at a firm or insight into what that may mean for job prospects after this summer. Should I expect an offer?

FWIW - I'm a 2L summer associate at a 20ish lawyer firm. The firm has had 1L summers before, but never a 2L. They do management side L&E and various transactional work. Pay is probably market (but I have no idea what market is because its not a major market).

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: First Ever Summer Associate

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:31 pm

I don't think anyone can answer this question. My expectation is that the firm would continue hiring 1Ls if they didn't have a hiring need so I would expect they believe they can offer you. But that might change because those sort of things do change at smaller firms. Just work hard and see what happens. If you're especially nervous, ask someone you trust at the firm if there's a possibility of an offer.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Postby TheRealSantaClaus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:39 pm

i guess it's nice that they hire 1Ls so that 2Ls aren't wasting their time at a place that probably won't result in an offer? so maybe the pivot to 2L means it's a conscious decision that an offer is at least contemplated? and the fact that they told you this... is good news?

transferror

Silver

Postby transferror » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Just treat it as a ≈10 week interview. There's nothing else you can do at this point. Good luck.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:20 pm

I was the first ever summer at a large investment bank, continued to work part time during 3L, then stayed on for 2 years after graduating before lateraling. Not a law firm, but a similar situation. Feel free to ask any questions here or PM me for anything really specific.

As others have said, the best thing you can do is treat it as a 10 week interview. I'm sure that my willingness to stay on part time during 3L made a huge impact on their decision to hire me post grad.

Return to “Legal Employment?