UChicago OCI 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bill_swerski

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby bill_swerski » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 am

chicago-gunner123 wrote:
lawlschool1l wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm still trying to figure out something: why does it matter how many markets you bid? If, for example, I bid the ten firms with the largest class sizes in LA, SF, NY, Chi, and DC why is that any more risky than bidding just LA firms? This is, of course, assuming I don't reveal to interviewers that I'm bidding five markets.


Eldon's answer is right. I will add, however, that interviewers will often ask where else you are bidding, and lying is stupid. Most markets want you to be committed to being there.


Thanks for the responses, it makes sesnse. But why exactly is lying stupid (aside from whatever moral qualms you might have)?


Lying is stupid because often you will be interviewing with other firms the same day. One reason is that it is always possible they will either see you walking in or they will talk to other interviewers. So if you say "I am only bidding NY" and they see that you're interviewing with a DC firm right afterwards it's not a great look. Another reason is that most people are not as good at lying as they think they are. So, when you say "I'm only bidding NY" and you're from Chicago and lived there your whole life, the interviewer will probably follow up on that with more questions.

I know people lied in my class and it sometimes worked for them, but it isn't necessary when you can just tell the truth and as long as you have a compelling reason for working at that specific firm it won't be a problem.

Also, I should probably add that while I agree with TCR in this thread that you should bid NY, the NY firms started asking about ties last year and were sometimes aggressive about it. Every single NY firm I interviewed at asked me why NY? (15+ firms) and often they asked follow-up questions. Other markets still ask more about ties, but before the last 2 years NY firms apparently didn't ask about ties at all. NY still has the biggest class sizes and most flexible grade cut-offs so I still recommend bidding it to reduce risk, but I just want to remind people to have some sort of answer prepared as to why they want to be in NY.


New York firms actually started to get worried about ties/interest in working in NY because so many UChicago students end up turning down NY. I think firms caught on to the whole "just bid NY as a safety". Some large firms even dropped out of OCI altogether last year because of that (ex. Weil, a top NY firm, did not do OCI last year, and I suspect it is because for this reason). So NY firms are starting to be more cautious in ensuring that UChicago students are genuinely interested in working for them. In other words, they would appreciate non-bullshitters.

WheninLaw

Silver
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could someone explain, or direct me to someplace that explains the mechanics of picking up extra screeners once the OCI process actually begins?


From what I remember, there is a small window for you to pick up interview slots that people have dropped. They fill up almost immediately. You can also show up early and ask if they would have time to squeeze you in later. I'd avoid doing this at lunch, because (1) hunger and (2) they probably hate all of you at that point :)

bill_swerski

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby bill_swerski » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:17 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone explain, or direct me to someplace that explains the mechanics of picking up extra screeners once the OCI process actually begins?


From what I remember, there is a small window for you to pick up interview slots that people have dropped. They fill up almost immediately. You can also show up early and ask if they would have time to squeeze you in later. I'd avoid doing this at lunch, because (1) hunger and (2) they probably hate all of you at that point :)


Yeah, FYI studies have shown that people become increasingly irritable as it gets closer to lunch time (seriously). So see maybe if you could meet with them once they are done with lunch. It only takes 5 minutes for them to really get an impression of you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:49 pm

bill_swerski wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone explain, or direct me to someplace that explains the mechanics of picking up extra screeners once the OCI process actually begins?


From what I remember, there is a small window for you to pick up interview slots that people have dropped. They fill up almost immediately. You can also show up early and ask if they would have time to squeeze you in later. I'd avoid doing this at lunch, because (1) hunger and (2) they probably hate all of you at that point :)


Yeah, FYI studies have shown that people become increasingly irritable as it gets closer to lunch time (seriously). So see maybe if you could meet with them once they are done with lunch. It only takes 5 minutes for them to really get an impression of you.


Original anon. This makes sense and I'll definitely avoid. Do any additional or cancelled slots become available on Symplicity throughout the process in any way or is directly asking interviewers the only way?

User avatar
2014

Platinum
Posts: 6027
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:56 pm

They are available by Symplicity but I forget the actual logistics. I think you find out two days before how many opening there are (it's usually 1-3 per firm) and then at like noon the day before there is some system for open sign-ups. You have to already have the space in your schedule - the system won't let you move other things around to accommodate whenever the open slot is, and the slots will generally fill in like 30 seconds. There may be a limit of 1 or 2 a day that you are allowed to open sign up for, but in practice you likely weren't going to be able to do more than that anyway.

I will also note that you can switch interview slots with friends if both agree - it is very helpful in situations where you want to stack your interviews up close to each other so you don't have to sit around at Booth all day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm sure you may already know but just in case you didn't get the email: schedules are up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Quick two questions about OCI:

1) For the employers that request a cover letter be brought to the interview, should this be the same type as used for mass mailing? I've never heard of a cover letter being used AT an interview so I was surprised.

2) How long should the writing sample be for employers that request one be brought to the interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Follow up question: Are interviewers likely to find out where else you are applying just by seeing you walk to interviews, etc...?

User avatar
Eldon Tyrell

Silver
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick two questions about OCI:

1) For the employers that request a cover letter be brought to the interview, should this be the same type as used for mass mailing? I've never heard of a cover letter being used AT an interview so I was surprised.

2) How long should the writing sample be for employers that request one be brought to the interview?


1. Probably, maybe even shorter than mass mailing because you're literally going to hand them the cover letter as you walk in the door. So I don't see how anything cobtained in the cover letter will affect your chances.

2. If they don't specify, then turn in whatever you're comfortable with. I think I have them my whole memo, but it wouldn't be a big deal if you cut it to only one issue or something. They don't read these closely at all.

User avatar
Eldon Tyrell

Silver
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Follow up question: Are interviewers likely to find out where else you are applying just by seeing you walk to interviews, etc...?


It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Any cb besides baker botts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 pm

I haven't heard any CB's but I know that Jackson Walker invited some screeners to a dinner

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard any CB's but I know that Jackson Walker invited some screeners to a dinner

Went to dinner with them but no cb for me or anyone I know yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:57 pm

It is generally true that DC callbacks come later than NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Overheard someone getting a callback, plus Gibson Dunn doing the usual dinner thing

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Overheard someone getting a callback, plus Gibson Dunn doing the usual dinner thing

cb where? and can confirm gibson has a dinner both tonight and yesterday but idk any cbs from there yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Overheard someone getting a callback, plus Gibson Dunn doing the usual dinner thing

cb where? and can confirm gibson has a dinner both tonight and yesterday but idk any cbs from there yet


I'm not sure, I don't actually know the student, must've been a transfer student. Sorry not to have more info about it, but I just overheard them. Otherwise I haven't heard anything.

A friend got a dinner invitation for Norton Rose, too

User avatar
Eldon Tyrell

Silver
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is generally true that DC callbacks come later than NY?


Yes. NYC is lightning fast - often calling back the day of or the next day after your screener. You're not screwed if you don't hear back immediately even in NYC. But be more patient with the other markets for sure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

What should we so if there's conflicting dinner invitations tonight? And we're really interested in both firms?

User avatar
Eldon Tyrell

Silver
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:12 pm

It would probably be impossible to go to both. If they are like the callback dinner I went to, its a fairly long affair, and no one really left before dinner and drinks wrapped up. And I went to the PW thing which is really big. If it's a smaller firm I could see it being even more awkward - do you order an entree, do you not, how do you excuse yourself since you might be compelled to tell them some reason you're leaving that's unrelated to you going to another callback dinner.

I would pick the one you want most and email the recruiter from the other dinner and say you are sorry and that you have an unavoidable conflict. I doubt it will have any lasting effect on your chances at that firm. Plus these dinners mean you're getting a callback anyway right? So this is more a chance for them to demonstrate how amazing they are. Not for you to keep selling yourself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any cb besides baker botts?


do we know if all the offices have sent out CBs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:I doubt it will have any lasting effect on your chances at that firm. Plus these dinners mean you're getting a callback anyway right? So this is more a chance for them to demonstrate how amazing they are. Not for you to keep selling yourself.

I hope this is right.

User avatar
Eldon Tyrell

Silver
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:I doubt it will have any lasting effect on your chances at that firm. Plus these dinners mean you're getting a callback anyway right? So this is more a chance for them to demonstrate how amazing they are. Not for you to keep selling yourself.

I hope this is right.


I know this is a stressful time, but err on the side of common sense and give the firms a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. Partners won't even remember your name at these things so I doubt they have someone furiously taking notes about who is there and who isn't. You'll have a callback anyway and you can demonstrate how awesome you are there.

And if you don't get an offer for the firm you'll likely never know it was for this reason. So just pick the best course of action and then see it through. Worrying about this sort of stuff is what gets you an ulcer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:47 pm

So one of these dinners = a callback?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 pm

was invited to Baker Botts dinner yesterday but no formal CB call/email. Anyone heard from them?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.