Rejected in less than 24 hours normal?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaysta

Bronze

Re: Rejected in less than 24 hours normal?

Postby kaysta » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 pm

rpupkin wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Disagree that lateraling as a first year lit associate is basically impossible. I'm T14 top third who's been sending resumes. I'm employed at a non big-law firm. Had one V50 interview and have am law 200 interview two weeks from now. Not offer in hand but firms have been receptive.

El Pollito wrote:lateralling as a first year lit associate with whatever stats is basically impossible.

Idk stranger things have probably happened somewhere at some time. let the man have his dream and take his shot. Id be interested in hearing the outcome actually. also +500 just for not going anon with this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:35 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:Disagree that lateraling as a first year lit associate is basically impossible. I'm T14 top third who's been sending resumes. I'm employed at a non big-law firm. Had one V50 interview and have am law 200 interview two weeks from now. Not offer in hand but firms have been receptive.

Op here. i think T14 + 1/3 GPA had a lot to do with it. Those are impressive stats that shouldn't be overlooked. You could easily have gotten 2L SA job while in school, and your qualifications wouldn't suddenly change just because you are a few years removed from school now. I can't see any reason why your peers who 2L SA'd is more capable than you are now.

Just based on those stats alone you are far more qualified than I am. I honestly don't have much of a selling point. My school is terrific and ranks well among academics and whatever US News "tier 1" spread is (20-30 range) but it's certainly not T14. I did well in college and went to this school full ride (as opposed to sticker/little $ from T14) and i got a lot of other "soft" merit achievements but no one other than my mom cares about that.

but i do have a significant number of acquaintances and friends in various firms who can vouch for my personality and work ethic (no humble brag this is an anonymous post) so im really just praying and holding on to that to pay off. im meeting an acquaintance for dinner next week who is a bigshot at biglaw in my city. It will be more of an informative meeting just to get insight into his life as a biglaw lawyer.

On the bright side, I got an interview offer from this one small firm whose requirements were "top 20% only from top law schools". I think this is probably a clown firm with super insecure lawyers but the lawyers there were actually legit from T14s. Weird. I'll report back.

El Pollito

Diamond

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:55 pm

kaysta wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

El Pollito wrote:lateralling as a first year lit associate with whatever stats is basically impossible.

Idk stranger things have probably happened somewhere at some time. let the man have his dream and take his shot. Id be interested in hearing the outcome actually. also +500 just for not going anon with this

The OP wants to know if it's normal. I'm telling him or her it's perfectly normal.

kaysta

Bronze

Postby kaysta » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:59 pm

El Pollito wrote:
kaysta wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

The OP wants to know if it's normal. I'm telling him or her it's perfectly normal.

"the man" and his dream I'm referencing is tyroneslothrop1

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Were you at wustl or something

Anyway from the questions/comments in here it sounds like you need to rethink a lot of things and reevaluate how you view stuff

Return to “Legal Employment�