Thanks TLS.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El Pollito

Diamond

Re: Thanks TLS.

Postby El Pollito » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:33 pm

That last anon post made me sad. I hope you work it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:It's usually called "University Counseling Services" or something similarly generic. It won't be a specialized therapist.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post. I was asking more along the line of a title for a certain type of therapist. I'm planning on seeing a third-party therapist, not someone through my school.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:It's usually called "University Counseling Services" or something similarly generic. It won't be a specialized therapist.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post. I was asking more along a title for a certain type of therapist. I'm planning on seeing a third-party therapist, not someone through my school.

Idk, may be worth trying through the school bc it may be free, and they hve a lot of different therapists that you can go to. It seems most have some sort of assigning coordinator and you can describe what you are looking for and they may be able to match you with somebody.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
frank-reynolds wrote:
Did you have any friends before law school? It might be a good idea to reach out to them and ask them candidly for their impressions. Other than that, your school probably offers some sort of counseling service. I'm not sure if that's your best option, but it's probably the easiest to try.

Yeah, I had friends before law school. I've never had a lot of friends (and generally the friends I've had were a little messed up in their own ways), but I don't think I've ever been universally hated. That's a good idea, but I haven't seen the friends I've kept in touch with in person for about 3-8 years. I tried asking my spouse, but their best guess was I'm insecure and quiet (not wrong, but not really helpful).

EDIT: A.nony.mouse: When finding a therapist, is there a specific term for the type of therapist that will give you no-bullshit advice/feedback? When I think 'therapist,' I imagine someone who's going to do some socratic-method type stuff, or someone who's there mostly just so you can have someone listen to you; but then again I know nothing about the topic.

I think it's important to note that there's a difference between not liking you and not liking talking to you. It is a subtle difference but a substantial one. I'm just shooting in the dark here but given what your spouse said I think it may be the latter. If you come off as insecure and you're shy, it's very possible that some people don't find talking to you enjoyable. Insecurities definitely shine through and shyness obviously makes conversation more difficult. There are a number of people I know that I don't have a negative opinion of, but I just don't like talking to them. But as others have said, someone like a therapist could help greatly.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
frank-reynolds wrote:
Did you have any friends before law school? It might be a good idea to reach out to them and ask them candidly for their impressions. Other than that, your school probably offers some sort of counseling service. I'm not sure if that's your best option, but it's probably the easiest to try.

Yeah, I had friends before law school. I've never had a lot of friends (and generally the friends I've had were a little messed up in their own ways), but I don't think I've ever been universally hated. That's a good idea, but I haven't seen the friends I've kept in touch with in person for about 3-8 years. I tried asking my spouse, but their best guess was I'm insecure and quiet (not wrong, but not really helpful).

EDIT: A.nony.mouse: When finding a therapist, is there a specific term for the type of therapist that will give you no-bullshit advice/feedback? When I think 'therapist,' I imagine someone who's going to do some socratic-method type stuff, or someone who's there mostly just so you can have someone listen to you; but then again I know nothing about the topic.

Really, any therapist should give you no-bullshit advice/feedback, they'll just have different styles for doing so. Probably one of the first things that will happen if you meet with one is talking about what you want out of the experience, as what they will offer should be tailored to your personal circumstances and needs. You want a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist (the latter are MDs who can prescribe drugs rather than do talk therapy). Personally (and I get this may sound snotty) I preferred going to a PhD than MA or MSW or the like, but that's because I'm super overeducated so it was helpful for me to have someone who kind of understood that world (I mention it because it might be pertinent for JDs).

I know it seems a little weird to pay someone to listen to you talk about your problems, but I did find it helpful and I did find that the therapist I had provided insights that were different/more helpful (or helpful in a different way) from talking to my friends or family. I think someone who has training in the wide range of ways people's brains can fuck them over just provides a useful perspective. I promise it's not like the cartoons of lying on a couch with someone saying "but how does that make you FEEL"; in my experience, at least, the therapist gave really concrete suggestions about how to handle some of the things flying around in my head (also helped me to articulate them).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:16 pm

ElPollito: Thanks for the kind words, and sorry for bumming you out.

Sublime: Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get back to school.

Lalilu- eh, screw it: I hadn't even thought of that distinction; thanks. Hope you're right about which side of that line I fall on - at least that's a little less depressing.

Nony: Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. Assuming you've passed the bar, if you don't mind me asking, did seeing a professional give you any hiccups during C&F?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 pm

Update: OP's officemate has agreed to give an exclusive interview

Return to “Legal Employment?