Thanks TLS. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thanks TLS.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks TLS. Helpful to someone in need as always.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Being the SA that nobody likes

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:41 pm

People are cold to you at work because . . . they're jealous of your height, looks, and conversation skills?
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Do you get along with the real lawyers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Tough, but not irreconcilable situation. First, can you think of something that you might've done or a breaking point that set this all off?

Don't let your emotions get the best of you. You're there solely for the offer, so as awkward as the events may be, don't stop going to them. I would try to find more opportunities to have more one on one conversations with different people at the firm (not just Summer Associates) to make the events less awkward.

The summer will be over before you know it. Hang in there :)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:49 pm

In my experience, you typically have done something for people to treat you that way. You might not even be aware of it. For example, the fact that you think people are jealous and resent you for being tall, handsome, and not socially awkward probably doesn't bode well for you. People might not like you because you come off as conceited and douchey.

It's hard to say because none of us interact with you on a daily basis. But people don't generally resent attractive people. If anything, they generally try to hang around them. So if you're attractive and putting everyone else off of you, there's something you're doing or something in your personality that they don't like. Have you treated anyone else poorly? If so, it might have gotten around. Seems pretty weird that your officemate would freeze you out if you hadn't done anything. I'm a very chatty person and that sort of thing doesn't turn off. If I am not acknowledging you, it's because I don't know you or I don't like you. Otherwise, I'd talk your ear off.(unless I was really busy with work)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 pm

lawman84 wrote: But people don't generally resent attractive people. If anything, they generally try to hang around them. So if you're attractive and putting everyone else off of you

This. Are you sure you're actually attractive? Maybe you have body odor or you're really unattractive. But seriously, is it your hygiene? I know that would piss me off and want to avoid someone.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:55 pm

As the great philosopher Raylan said, "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Given your treatment I think you need to be seriously introspective.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:57 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:58 pm

There's a new guy at work that I am confident would describe himself the same way, but he is completely obnoxious and rude in conversation. It's really hard to know without seeing you interact with humans. I speed walk to avoid him at all costs.
The one thing that I can think of is the fact that I hooked up with a couple of the female summers in the first couple of weeks, but I never told anyone else.
oh jesus

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:01 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:The one thing that I can think of is the fact that I hooked up with a couple of the female summers in the first couple of weeks, but I never told anyone else. And even if they went around telling people (which I mean, why would they?) I can't imagine that this would make people hate me.
No. This explains why both male and female summer associates might be avoiding you like the plague.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 am

Is this going to be one of those long con gradually building to more ridiculousness troll threads?

Please tell us more about these hookups.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 am

I think you're missing the point of the quote. I'm not saying they're assholes. I'm saying you might be. A large group of people don't collectively dislike someone to the point of avoidance for no good reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:07 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:Is this going to be one of those long con gradually building to more ridiculousness troll threads?

I knew I was going to regret posting this. This site kinda sucks because everyone automatically assumes everyone else is a fucking troll. Is it so impossible that I'm telling the truth? I came on here partially to anonymously get this off my chest because I can't discuss it with anyone in real life and partially to see if anyone had any useful advice. I have no interest in discussing the hookups.
Have you tried asking your officemate if everything is good between y'all?

Probably won't help because most lawyers are passive-aggressive as fuck but I'm not sure if it can make things worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:10 am

when was your last STD test?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I think you're missing the point of the quote. I'm not saying they're assholes. I'm saying you might be. A large group of people don't collectively dislike someone to the point of avoidance for no good reason.
I know what you meant, but generally when I think of that quote I think of the jerk off who is getting into fights with people all day and always thinks the other person is the one who is wrong when it's always him. The whole point of this thread is that I honestly don't get myself involved in situations where I'm thinking "wow that person is an asshole" but somehow I'm repudiating the whole summer class. I think I would know if I was that big of an asshole, I mean you would have to realize right...?
No. I bet at least 50% of the people who are assholes don't realize it. And they probably think they're self-aware. The other 50% or less just don't care.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:12 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:The one thing that I can think of is the fact that I hooked up with a couple of the female summers in the first couple of weeks, but I never told anyone else. And even if they went around telling people (which I mean, why would they?) I can't imagine that this would make people hate me. They weren't repeat hookups by the way (and in fact the two girls don't even seem to like me much anymore either, but not because I was rude to them during or after).
This is kind of burying the lede, dude. I think hooking up with more than one woman in your program in the first couple of weeks is definitely going to make you that guy people avoid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
star fox wrote:Is this going to be one of those long con gradually building to more ridiculousness troll threads?

I knew I was going to regret posting this. This site kinda sucks because everyone automatically assumes everyone else is a fucking troll. Is it so impossible that I'm telling the truth? I came on here partially to anonymously get this off my chest because I can't discuss it with anyone in real life and partially to see if anyone had any useful advice. I have no interest in discussing the hookups.
Have you tried asking your officemate if everything is good between y'all?

Probably won't help because most lawyers are passive-aggressive as fuck but I'm not sure if it can make things worse.
I was thinking about it, but what's the point? This is how the last 2 weeks have been: I get there in the morning and say good morning and get "hi" back. If I say anything else the rest of the day, I get a one word response. She leaves at the end of the day before me without good bye, good night, or anything. But the second someone comes in to say hi she perks up and is the chattiest person you've ever met.

It's so absurdly, blatantly obvious that there is really no point in me asking. It would just make it even more awkward (if it can possibly get anymore awkward than sitting in your office all day in silence).
It literally can't get more awkward. And people apparently actively avoid you. So there's no real damage that can be done if you can ask in a non-asshole/non-pathetic way.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The one thing that I can think of is the fact that I hooked up with a couple of the female summers in the first couple of weeks, but I never told anyone else. And even if they went around telling people (which I mean, why would they?) I can't imagine that this would make people hate me. They weren't repeat hookups by the way (and in fact the two girls don't even seem to like me much anymore either, but not because I was rude to them during or after).
This is kind of burying the lede, dude. I think hooking up with more than one woman in your program in the first couple of weeks is definitely going to make you that guy people avoid.
And if this dude isn't trolling, his lack of awareness of this leads me to believe there's a lot more about his behavior of which he is unaware.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am

lmao

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”