Which firms are best at letting you work from home?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Which firms are best at letting you work from home?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:California offices

I wish.

New york based firms are generally more facetime based

But ca based firms and some ca offices of other firms are known for less of a facetime emphasis

That is the CW, but I think it's mostly flame. What itbdvorm said is spot on. Very few firms these days have a formal "face time" policy. But if you're an associate on a busy matter/case, working a lot from home is probably not a good idea if you care about your future at your firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:California offices

I wish.

New york based firms are generally more facetime based

But ca based firms and some ca offices of other firms are known for less of a facetime emphasis

That is the CW, but I think it's mostly flame. What itbdvorm said is spot on. Very few firms these days have a formal "face time" policy. But if you're an associate on a busy matter/case, working a lot from home is probably not a good idea if you care about your future at your firm.

At the new york V5 I worked at, the office was bustling and fully operational on a saturday morning or a thursday at 9PM. At each of the California firms I've worked at, it was completely dead on weekends and if I stayed until 7PM, I was likely the last person to leave on my floor.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 pm

I always hear people say "it's a total dead zone after 6:30" but I think that's just because by then all the secretaries are gone.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

I think its easier for litigation. I literally think that no one would notice if I didn't come in for like two straight days. I get most of my assignments over e-mail and sometimes, rarely, over the phone. We make changes to briefs in tracked changes and shoot back. Someone comes in my office maybe once every other day.

I'm pretty junior so maybe this will change. But from what it sounds like, the junior corporate associates are the ones who can't work from home.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the new york V5 I worked at, the office was bustling and fully operational on a saturday morning or a thursday at 9PM. At each of the California firms I've worked at, it was completely dead on weekends and if I stayed until 7PM, I was likely the last person to leave on my floor.

Okay. I think we're talking about two different things here. Yes, I agree that, in California offices, it's far more common to work from home during the evenings. But when I hear someone ask about "facetime" and "working from home," I assume they're asking about business hours.

Return to “Legal Employment�