Didn't do write on and no journal how screwed for Oci Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Didn't do write on and no journal how screwed for Oci

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:29 pm

School got out spent a day moving out, then drove from the Midwest to San Diego for my sisters wedding, then drove to North Carolina for my job. Didn't have time to do write on and thus no journal. I know I should have skipped the road trip looking back but I can't turn back time.

Anyway T20 right around the top 11-12%. Am I going to have a hard time at oci and mass mailing? Advice?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Didn't do write on and no journal how screwed for Oci

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School got out spent a day moving out, then drove from the Midwest to San Diego for my sisters wedding, then drove to North Carolina for my job. Didn't have time to do write on and thus no journal. I know I should have skipped the road trip looking back but I can't turn back time.

Anyway T20 right around the top 11-12%. Am I going to have a hard time at oci and mass mailing? Advice?
I think you will be fine. Some people may ding you because they loved journal or hate the fact that you are going to get a job without one, but I think they will be the minority.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Probably just drop out. No but seriously this is an inquantifiable question. Your chances would be marginally better if you were on a journal. If you wrote onto law review, your chances would improve more. So basically, just drop out.

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Why not just say WashU bro?

HerculesQEinstein

New

Post by HerculesQEinstein » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Unless you're on Law Review, journals don't matter at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:12 pm

As other have said, it would have definitely helped get past the initial screening pile to get an OCI interview scheduled, but from there only matters to a few -- especially during callbacks. Top 11-12% at T20, I assume you'll be okay (just not as ok as you could have been).

However, if you are in an interview and the lack of LR or journal does come up (it likely won't unless you bring it up) you should have a better explanation than that you chose a few road trips over the write-on competition though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 pm

bwh8813 wrote:As other have said, it would have definitely helped get past the initial screening pile to get an OCI interview scheduled, but from there only matters to a few -- especially during callbacks. Top 11-12% at T20, I assume you'll be okay (just not as ok as you could have been).

However, if you are in an interview and the lack of LR or journal does come up (it likely won't unless you bring it up) you should have a better explanation than that you chose a few road trips over the write-on competition though.
Not the OP but similar situation (top 10% in lower t14, traveled instead of doing write-on)- are there any decent, fall-back excuses that will deflect this question? Thinking about begging a secondary journal to let me on, or somehow trying to find a pro bono project. Any advice would be really, really appreciated.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Post by imalreadyamember? » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Serett wrote:Why not just say WashU bro?
If true, what's with WashU 1Ls posting here about skipping write-on? Cmawn man. That said it could be Notre Dame or something

Catsinthebag

Bronze

Post by Catsinthebag » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bwh8813 wrote:As other have said, it would have definitely helped get past the initial screening pile to get an OCI interview scheduled, but from there only matters to a few -- especially during callbacks. Top 11-12% at T20, I assume you'll be okay (just not as ok as you could have been).

Not the OP but similar situation (top 10% in lower t14, traveled instead of doing write-on)- are there any decent, fall-back excuses that will deflect this question? Thinking about begging a secondary journal to let me on, or somehow trying to find a pro bono project. Any advice would be really, really appreciated.

Other than marginally getting ahead and/or keeping pace with the rest of these kids, the journal experience is pretty un-fun, too. You should just consider yourself fortunate and wing it in the interviews.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:
Serett wrote:Why not just say WashU bro?
If true, what's with WashU 1Ls posting here about skipping write-on? Cmawn man. That said it could be Notre Dame or something
Ain't T20. Could be Minnesota I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”