Gibson Dunn SF- top 15-20% MVP Fighting Chance? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson Dunn SF- top 15-20% MVP Fighting Chance?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Title Says it all except that I also have strong ties to SF

If you know anything about there work culture or litigation practice, that would also be helpful. I've heard they are well regarded but mostly do IP stuff.

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson Dunn SF- top 15-20% MVP Fighting Chance?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Easily have a chance from P. No idea about the others.. Why did u combine those 3 random schools? Just say the real school there's hundreds of ppl in the class bc every school is diff

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Michigan.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 pm

IP background would help. If no IP background, I wouldn't count on it. There are lots of SF firms with offices similar to GDC's, so why single out GDC?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Easily have a chance from P. No idea about the others.. Why did u combine those 3 random schools? Just say the real school there's hundreds of ppl in the class bc every school is diff
MVP is a very common/typical law school grouping.. Why did you ask this question anon? Just say it under your username because there's hundreds of people that might ask such an innocuous question or give such an innocuous answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Easily have a chance from P. No idea about the others.. Why did u combine those 3 random schools? Just say the real school there's hundreds of ppl in the class bc every school is diff
There's no difference between P and the rest of the mid-to-lower T14 for SF.

OP: With your SF ties and strong grades, you should get bites from at least a couple of SF firms.

As others have pointed out, it's weird to focus on Gibson Dunn. I'll offer some advice for you (and others approaching OCI): If you think you have a "dream firm," change your thinking. All of these big law firms are way more alike than you realize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:

OP: With your SF ties and strong grades, you should get bites from at least a couple of SF firms.

As others have pointed out, it's weird to focus on Gibson Dunn. I'll offer some advice for you (and others approaching OCI): If you think you have a "dream firm," change your thinking. All of these big law firms are way more alike than you realize.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not focusing on one firm but I wanted to see where I should direct my networking efforts. I'm targeting strong SF litigation firms, and hoping to find a place with a decent to good culture.

I've heard good things about Dunn, and was wondering whether it was worth my time to even start contacting people there. I've heard bad things about Kirkland & Ellis, and mixed reviews of MoFo, so just wanted to see where I stood with one of the better (of several) prospects.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:59 pm

Not sure why everyone thinks you need IP - the SF office has a relatively small IP practice. Feel free to pm.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not focusing on one firm but I wanted to see where I should direct my networking efforts. I'm targeting strong SF litigation firms, and hoping to find a place with a decent to good culture.

I've heard good things about Dunn, and was wondering whether it was worth my time to even start contacting people there. I've heard bad things about Kirkland & Ellis, and mixed reviews of MoFo, so just wanted to see where I stood with one of the better (of several) prospects.
As far as I know Kirkland SF focuses heavily on hedge fund work (I could be a bit off on whether its hedge funds or VC work or something) so I don't think you should pursue them hard FWIW. And they were by far my least favorite interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I'm close to contradicting my earlier post, but GD>MoFo>KE is a defensible hierarchy in terms of cultural reputation. On the other hand, I've known individuals who were/are happy at the SF office of KE, and I've known folks who were quite unhappy at the SF office of GD. So much of an associate's experience is simply luck of the draw: your QOL and career development depends so much on the the cases/matters you get assigned to and the partners you work with. There are great partners and horrible partners at every big law firm.

Anyway, if you're set on SF, you should apply broadly to a bunch of lit firms, even firms (like QE and KE) that have bad reputations.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:As far as I know Kirkland SF focuses heavily on hedge fund work (I could be a bit off on whether its hedge funds or VC work or something) so I don't think you should pursue them hard FWIW.
The SF office of Kirkland has decent-sized general lit and IP lit groups, at least by SF standards. The corporate side may focus heavily on hedge fund work, but I'm not sure why an aspiring litigator would care about that.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 pm

potted plant wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks you need IP - the SF office has a relatively small IP practice. Feel free to pm.
IP helps, or at least it used to. I can speak from personal experience. It's kind of absurd to suggest IP doesn't help at any bay-area GP firm's office.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:12 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
potted plant wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks you need IP - the SF office has a relatively small IP practice. Feel free to pm.
IP helps, or at least it used to. I can speak from personal experience.
It still helps, of course. I can't think of a decent-sized lit practice in the Bay Area that doesn't do a fair amount of patent lit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:14 pm

rpupkin wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:As far as I know Kirkland SF focuses heavily on hedge fund work (I could be a bit off on whether its hedge funds or VC work or something) so I don't think you should pursue them hard FWIW.
The SF office of Kirkland has decent-sized general lit and IP lit groups, at least by SF standards. The corporate side may focus heavily on hedge fund work, but I'm not sure why an aspiring litigator would care about that.
The impression I got at the time was that it wasn't particularly lit focused. I was interested in lit but they focused more on the hedge fund work which I thought was odd. But of course it was just a CB.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
IP helps, or at least it used to. I can speak from personal experience. It's kind of absurd to suggest IP doesn't help at any bay-area GP firm's office.
Certainly IP helps in the bay. But Gibson's SF office is not particularly IP focused so I think the "don't count on it" without IP advice is perhaps, less applicable than it would be for some other SF firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:38 pm

potted plant wrote:
ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
Certainly IP helps in the bay. But Gibson's SF office is not particularly IP focused so I think the "don't count on it" without IP advice is perhaps, less applicable than it would be for some other SF firms.
OP here. Since you mention it, to which firms would the "don't count on it without IP background" advice apply?

I've got zero background in IP

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:
ExBiglawAssociate wrote:
OP here. Since you mention it, to which firms would the "don't count on it without IP background" advice apply?

Firms where an IP background (or at least an IP interest) is practically required for lit: WSGR, Cooley, Fenwick, Weil

Firms where an IP background would be a significant boost for lit: Quinn, Latham, MoFo, Orrick, Kirkland, Paul Hastings

Firms where an IP background would be a mild boost for lit: Gibson, Covington, Jones Day, Pillsbury

I'm sure I've left some firms out, and you could quibble with some of the choices I made, but the above gives you at least a rough idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:
ExBiglawAssociate wrote:

Firms where an IP background (or at least an IP interest) is practically required for lit: WSGR, Cooley, Fenwick, Weil

Firms where an IP background would be a significant boost for lit: Quinn, Latham, MoFo, Orrick, Kirkland, Paul Hastings

Firms where an IP background would be a mild boost for lit: Gibson, Covington, Jones Day, Pillsbury

I'm sure I've left some firms out, and you could quibble with some of the choices I made, but the above gives you at least a rough idea.
Generally agree with these assessments - though I'm not in IP so others may know better.

You're a strong applicant so in general I wouldn't count any of these firms out but as rpupkin notes, you should make sure to appear enthusiastic about/open to IP work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 pm

OP here. Just wanted to say thanks to all who gave advice. =)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”