Fear of Heights and BigLaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fear of Heights and BigLaw

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 pm

I have an intense fear of heights, and can't see myself working on any floor above 9 or 10.

Is there an appropriate way to find out what floor a firm is located on in a discreet way?

Are there many Biglaw firms that aren't located high in skyscrapers? Or should I just write off Biglaw?

Thanks.

polareagle

Bronze

Re: Fear of Heights and BigLaw

Postby polareagle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an intense fear of heights, and can't see myself working on any floor above 9 or 10.

Is there an appropriate way to find out what floor a firm is located on in a discreet way?

Are there many Biglaw firms that aren't located high in skyscrapers? Or should I just write off Biglaw?

Thanks.

Gun for DC. The height restriction really limits building height. (The tallest law firm building appears to be the one Williams & Connolly is in at 13 stories.)
There's a list of all the buildings here.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:43 pm

Silicon Valley is also your friend. No skyscrapers in Palo Alto - most SV biglaw offices are only a couple stories tall.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Haha is this serious? If so, look at midlaw (you can pretty much write off anywhere in midtown NYC). My building is only 12 floors.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an intense fear of heights, and can't see myself working on any floor above 9 or 10.

Thanks.

You should ask for their address and then try to put together a best estimate based upon the suite number. For example, Suite 100 would be on the first floor, but Suite 2700 would be on the 27th floor.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Can you not just close your blinds wherever you are?

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Postby handsonthewheel » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:53 pm

See a therapist, it is very treatable via cognitive behavioral therapy.

Don't let as big of a decision as career choices be impacted by something that can be taken care of.

Rlabo

Silver

Postby Rlabo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I really think you're looking at this the wrong way. You should see someone to try and solve your fear. Not saying you need to "just get over it" or anything, but the job may require you to go to other's offices that can be on top floors of skyscrapers for a client meeting or deposition or countless other reasons, not to mention the potential of traveling for work (assuming airplanes are a no-go as well). It is really no way to live life and can likely be diminished greatly if not solved entirely.

Rlabo

Silver

Postby Rlabo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:00 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:See a therapist, it is very treatable via cognitive behavioral therapy.

Don't let as big of a decision as career choices be impacted by something that can be taken care of.

Beat me to it, but TCR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:35 pm

2014 wrote:Can you not just close your blinds wherever you are?

It's the elevator also. Plus the whole 9/11 trauma still stuck in my head. Worst case scenario fears.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Rlabo wrote:I really think you're looking at this the wrong way. You should see someone to try and solve your fear. Not saying you need to "just get over it" or anything, but the job may require you to go to other's offices that can be on top floors of skyscrapers for a client meeting or deposition or countless other reasons, not to mention the potential of traveling for work (assuming airplanes are a no-go as well). It is really no way to live life and can likely be diminished greatly if not solved entirely.

I'm fine with airplanes for the most part.

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:38 pm

NY firms love being at the top floors. Boies is the only one I know of that is on a lower floor. But NYC is not a great place to live if you can't go more than 9 or 10 floors up.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm a short bro who hates heights and I work on the 20th story. You'll catch yourself looking down every once in a while, imagining the entire building collapsing and falling to the ground, etc. but eventually you just get used to it.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm

this is just as ridiculous as the guy who wanted NYC but was afraid of the subway

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm

misterjames wrote:this is just as ridiculous as the guy who wanted NYC but was afraid of the subway

I'm fine with DC.

Just asking a question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:Can you not just close your blinds wherever you are?

It's the elevator also. Plus the whole 9/11 trauma still stuck in my head. Worst case scenario fears.

You can't take an elevator? Or just really high ones? My SA office had a partial view of the 9/11 memorial which felt strange but working in WTC(7) is awesome (WilmerHale). Wouldn't trade buildings with anybody.

If 9/11 still comes to your mind when you are in any tall building, you do need to seek help. Even in DC biglaw you're gonna visit other offices and other firms, as somebody else said. Please don't let this in the way of your career and your life.

BruceWayne

Gold

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Some of you guys are clowning him but it's really not all that absurd of a fear/concern. I wouldn't necessarily let it be THE deciding factor in my career choice but this being one of a list of things that leads to a preference for DC over NYC for example isn't crazy. It does make evacuating in the case of emergencies and fires exponentially more dangerous. It reminds me of my personal discomfort with a lot of nightclubs having so few exits, no windows, and so many people in them. I can't help but think that that's part of what made it so difficult for people in Orlando to escape. The crazy tall building thing might be even worse. What are you supposed to do when you are on the 34th floor and a fire breaks out below you? is that really so unlikely?

God bless the families and friends of those hurt in the Orlando tragedy.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:04 pm

I want to cop Dallas biglaw but I have a deep seated fear of books and depositories thereof. The tragic demise of our 35th president only exasperates the condition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Some of you guys are clowning him but it's really not all that absurd of a fear/concern. I wouldn't necessarily let it be THE deciding factor in my career choice but this being one of a list of things that leads to a preference for DC over NYC for example isn't crazy. It does make evacuating in the case of emergencies and fires exponentially more dangerous. It reminds me of my personal discomfort with a lot of nightclubs having so few exits, no windows, and so many people in them. I can't help but think that that's part of what made it so difficult for people in Orlando to escape. The crazy tall building thing might be even worse. What are you supposed to do when you are on the 34th floor and a fire breaks out below you? is that really so unlikely?

Fear of heights is treatable and if it really impacts life (i.e., choice of jobs), one should really go talk to someone who can take care of this. It's not hard, it'll go away - there is no reason to let it control you.

The rest of it? These are scary things but the probability of you getting hurt in any of these scenarios pales in comparison to you dying in a car crash or from a lifestyle disease - you should not change your career or personal activity based on such a remote potentiality.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Some of you guys are clowning him but it's really not all that absurd of a fear/concern. I wouldn't necessarily let it be THE deciding factor in my career choice but this being one of a list of things that leads to a preference for DC over NYC for example isn't crazy. It does make evacuating in the case of emergencies and fires exponentially more dangerous. It reminds me of my personal discomfort with a lot of nightclubs having so few exits, no windows, and so many people in them. I can't help but think that that's part of what made it so difficult for people in Orlando to escape. The crazy tall building thing might be even worse. What are you supposed to do when you are on the 34th floor and a fire breaks out below you? is that really so unlikely?

There are emergency exit stairways specifically for this purpose and if protocols are followed and assuming the fire isn't set in the emergency exit stairway (or there isn't a lower impact) there is a reasonable chance for safe evacuation. One of my closest friends was on exactly the 34th floor during 9/11 and the emergency exit stairways were how they survived. As far as one off emergencies and tragedies, well those can happen anywhere and trying to avoid them entirely isn't really feasible.

9th floor is a fairly low bar for a major metropolitan area like NYC. I echo others that therapy and treatment are more practical than living in fear and potentially hindering your career.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Yeah I mean actually I'm pretty sure buildings have to be designed to be safe in case of a fire on a lower level. Like, I doubt if there's a fire on the second floor then everybody above is just fucked and destined for death in a fiery inferno.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for the empathy. Much appreciated.

Also, re: visiting other firms, I don't mind the idea of dropping in to a high office once in a while, but I can't see myself living that way for multiple years for the majority of the day. I don't mind an elevator to the 35th floor once in a while either.

But, when I get above 12 floors, I just can't focus/work properly. Any time I look out a really high window, I envision some crazy co-worker (from the biglaw stress) opening it and jumping out/throwing me out. My vision starts swimming, and I feel like the building is going to drop under my feet.

I'll watch people skydive on youtube (I don't do this often), and break into a cold sweat and start white knuckling my chair, just envisioning that helpless feeling of sudden descent.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Your window almost certainly won't open, and you might not even have a window.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I was a 14 year old New Yorker on 9/11. It's not that crazy for someone to consider these things. That said, I'm working in a tall building and fine. But I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered keeping a parachute around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Return to “Legal Employment�