Promised a callback for 2L summer. Time to contact? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Promised a callback for 2L summer. Time to contact?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi everyone - I just finished my 1L year at a T20 law school. During 1L, I applied + phone interviewed at a big DC firm I'd like to work at after graduation. I got a callback and the firm paid the travel/stay costs for my interview. I thought the interviews went well, but tbh I applied late in Feb., and I had a hunch that they didn't have any positions left.
ETA: my interview took place the first week of March

Anyway, I got an email about a week or 2 later saying they couldn't offer me a position, citing the fact that I was a 1L as a reason. I was also told to contact them for an in-person interview for my 2L summer, so I could skip the OCI process. The general feedback I got from TLS was that this is a good sign, and not offered to everyone who interviewed (is that right?)

I wanted to know when the best time would be to contact the firm. Is it too soon? Should I wait until OCI starts in the fall to do this?

Thank you all in advance!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avian

Bronze

Re: Promised a callback for 2L summer. Time to contact?

Post by Avian » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:35 pm

I think a lot of schools do bidding in June-July, so that seems like an appropriate time to reach out. Worst that happens is they tell you they'll get back in touch when they have a better idea of their schedule. I know at my firm there are people already interviewing before the end of July.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:30 pm

I would guess that now is a safe time to reach out, although, in all likelihood the firm has only just begun gearing up for recruiting season and may not be ready for you yet. If you're concerned about that, you may want to wait until the beginning of July. My one word of caution is not to wait too long, because then it may be too late.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:33 pm

As soon as you have spring grades on your transcript. If you already do. now is fine.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone - I just finished my 1L year at a T20 law school. During 1L, I applied + phone interviewed at a big DC firm I'd like to work at after graduation. I got a callback and the firm paid the travel/stay costs for my interview. I thought the interviews went well, but tbh I applied late in Feb., and I had a hunch that they didn't have any positions left.

Anyway, I got an email about a week or 2 later saying they couldn't offer me a position, citing the fact that I was a 1L as a reason. I was also told to contact them for an in-person interview for my 2L summer, so I could skip the OCI process. The general feedback I got from TLS was that this is a good sign, and not offered to everyone who interviewed (is that right?)

I wanted to know when the best time would be to contact the firm. Is it too soon? Should I wait until OCI starts in the fall to do this?

is the bolded language verbatim what they told you? I think seeing the actual language of the email might help, because something like "we encourage you to reach out for next summer" or something probably doesn't rise to the level that you've described.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone - I just finished my 1L year at a T20 law school. During 1L, I applied + phone interviewed at a big DC firm I'd like to work at after graduation. I got a callback and the firm paid the travel/stay costs for my interview. I thought the interviews went well, but tbh I applied late in Feb., and I had a hunch that they didn't have any positions left.

is the bolded language verbatim what they told you? I think seeing the actual language of the email might help, because something like "we encourage you to reach out for next summer" or something probably doesn't rise to the level that you've described.
"would like to offer you a "call-back" invitation in advance to interview with other lawyers at the firm for our much larger 2017 summer program. You do not need to participate in our firm's on-campus interviewing later this year. Instead, please contact X"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks everyone! I will be sending them an email tomorrow then. Wish me luck :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”