Can I withdraw scholarship money?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I withdraw scholarship money?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:19 am

Hi all,

I am working for a firm in the summer that will pay me $5k scholarship to help defray the costs of law school.

If I have a full ride, can I withdraw this money out after they deposit it? Or how does it work in this case?

Thanks.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Can I withdraw scholarship money?

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 am

You have to ask the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:02 am

Also, it might depend on the terms of your full ride scholarship. I had a full ride in undergrad and any other scholarship money I attained if they exceeded tuition + cost of living would have gone back to the school. However, I was able to keep certain stipends and other funds depending where they came from, so it might matter how the money is labeled by the firm as well in some situations. But if they (the firm) are paying it directly to you, then it seems a bit different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I am working for a firm in the summer that will pay me $5k scholarship to help defray the costs of law school.

If I have a full ride, can I withdraw this money out after they deposit it? Or how does it work in this case?

Thanks.

It depends on the stipulation but generally if the firm pays the school the school will deduct any money you owe and give you back the rest. If the firm is giving you the money directly, no one gives a S what you do with it.

Return to “Legal Employment�