Is it dumb to ask for work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it dumb to ask for work?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm a fairly new corporate associate at a big firm. I bill 6-8 hours a day, maybe 3 every other weekend. I'm in the office 9-6 every day. Should I ask for work? Or just enjoy this? Things must heat up eventually right?

Of course I wouldn't mind a bonus, but it's not worth it to me to work hard for It. Would I get fired if I only hit 1800 hours a year?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Is it dumb to ask for work?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a fairly new corporate associate at a big firm. I bill 6-8 hours a day, maybe 3 every other weekend. I'm in the office 9-6 every day. Should I ask for work? Or just enjoy this? Things must heat up eventually right?

Of course I wouldn't mind a bonus, but it's not worth it to me to work hard for It. Would I get fired if I only hit 1800 hours a year?

Very dumb to ask for work if you are getting fed those amount of hours already. Enjoy it while it lasts because t probably won't forever.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 am

does billing 8/8 hrs raise eyebrows?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:13 am

Enjoy it. Do not ask for more work - you will get hit on multiple things at the same time and bill like 300 hours and make your quota. You do not want to be in a position of turning down work though.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Post by imalreadyamember? » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Enjoy it. Do not ask for more work - you will get hit on multiple things at the same time and bill like 300 hours and make your quota. You do not want to be in a position of turning down work though.
Addendum to this: if you decide you really do want to make your quota for either bonus or career advancement purposes, you can just ask for work later in the year if you're still only projected to hit 1800 (or less, somehow). We can't really speak to whether you'll get fired without knowing your firm and how it operates though. At some places, you'll probably get fired after 1-2 years of it; at others, you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”