Post removed...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:01 pm

.

HorrendousKablooie

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby HorrendousKablooie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Thank you for the advice. Will do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:19 am

Just how much of a GPA deficiency do you think one can overcome with solid interviewing skills? I believe I'm around median unless I'm hugely mistaken (3.4-3.45 range), and the ~10 mock interviewers I have had practice rounds with (upperclassmen, younger associates) have all told me that my answers were solid. Resume is nothing spectacular. That is, is it worth it to actually competitively rank 3.6, 3.7 firms in my bids?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Hey everyone, I'm really worried about the AJF cuz my GPA is a little low, I think it's like right at the Median or maybe slightly below... It's around 3.35. For brief non-GPA information about myself, I am an Asian-American (U.S. citizen), I speak 2 foreign languages in addition to English pretty well, I don't think i'm a terrific interviewer, but I think I'm above average/decent interviewer... I have some working experience (2 years of non-legal and 6 months of legal exp.) prior to law school, and working at a midlaw for my 1L summer. I think I'm leaning towards transaction at the moment, but not completely sure, because I'm doing mostly litigation work at the moment at my 1L summer-job, and enjoying it too. I think I want to go international though, because I have a pretty diverse international experience and I think my foreign language skills will be a bigger plus at a global law firm than a more domestic-focused law firms, but i'm open to contrary suggestions.

Please give me any advices on my AJF in general or in specific on my bidlist below.
Thank you everyone so much for all your help in advance!

1 Greenberg Traurig N/A; 20
2 Goodwin Poctor 3.37-3.58; 20
3 Pilsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman F.. 3.2~3.3 ; 20
4 Clifford Chance M. 3.45-3.58 100
5 Bryan Cave F.3.21-3.49; 20
6 Cooley LLP N/A; 20
7 Proskauer Rose M. 3.39~ 3.46; 40
8 Curtis, Mallet, Provost F. 3.1 ~3.3 5; 20
9 Morison & Foerster M. 3.56; 20 slots
10 Kaye Scholer M. 3.39-3.47; 20
11 Chadbourne and Parke LLP M. 3.45-3.58; 1-5 20
12 Schulte Roth & Zabel M. 3.52-3.59; 1-5, 20
13 Seward & Kissel F.3.21-3.49; 5, 20


TUESDAY_BIDDING Law Firm GPA # of interview slots
1 White&Case LLP DC N/A 20
2 Vinson & Elkins 3.35 20
3 Shearman & Sterling 3.48-3.54; 60
4 Hogan Lovells 3.45-3.6; 60
5 Dechert N/A; 40
6 Alston & Bird LLP 3.35; 5, 20
7 Winston & Strawn 3.42; 40
8 Holland & Knight 3.42-3.63; 1-5, 20
9 White&Case LLP NY 3.52-3.57; 5, 60
10 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 3.45; 80
11 Milbank, Tweed, Haley & McLoy LLP 3.65-3.67; 5, 40
17 Allen & Overy LLP 3.65; 20
12 Akin, Gump, Strauss 3.58; 40
13 Jones Day 3.55-3.6; 40
14 Paul Hastings LLP 3.55-3.62; 80
15 WilmerHale 3.;6 40

WEDNESDAY
1 Linklaters LLP 3.30-3.49; 40
2 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe N/A; 20
3 Hughes Hubbard & Reed 3.09-3.22; 20
4 Herbert Smith Freehills N/A ; 20
5 K&L Gates 3.45; 20
6 Crowell & Moring 3.477; 20
7 Morgan Lewis & Bokius 3.38; 20
8 Kirkland & Ellis 3.57; 20
9 Reed Smith LLP 3.23-3.29; 20
10 Ropes & Grey 3.63; 20
11 Moses & Singer N/A; 20

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I'm really worried about the AJF cuz my GPA is a little low, I think it's like right at the Median or maybe slightly below... It's around 3.35. For brief non-GPA information about myself, I am an Asian-American (U.S. citizen), I speak 2 foreign languages in addition to English pretty well, I don't think i'm a terrific interviewer, but I think I'm above average/decent interviewer... I have some working experience (2 years of non-legal and 6 months of legal exp.) prior to law school, and working at a midlaw for my 1L summer. I think I'm leaning towards transaction at the moment, but not completely sure, because I'm doing mostly litigation work at the moment at my 1L summer-job, and enjoying it too. I think I want to go international though, because I have a pretty diverse international experience and I think my foreign language skills will be a bigger plus at a global law firm than a more domestic-focused law firms, but i'm open to contrary suggestions.

Please give me any advices on my AJF in general or in specific on my bidlist below.
Thank you everyone so much for all your help in advance!

1 Greenberg Traurig N/A; 20
2 Goodwin Poctor 3.37-3.58; 20
3 Pilsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman F.. 3.2~3.3 ; 20
4 Clifford Chance M. 3.45-3.58 100
5 Bryan Cave F.3.21-3.49; 20
6 Cooley LLP N/A; 20
7 Proskauer Rose M. 3.39~ 3.46; 40
8 Curtis, Mallet, Provost F. 3.1 ~3.3 5; 20
9 Morison & Foerster M. 3.56; 20 slots
10 Kaye Scholer M. 3.39-3.47; 20
11 Chadbourne and Parke LLP M. 3.45-3.58; 1-5 20
12 Schulte Roth & Zabel M. 3.52-3.59; 1-5, 20
13 Seward & Kissel F.3.21-3.49; 5, 20


TUESDAY_BIDDING Law Firm GPA # of interview slots
1 White&Case LLP DC N/A 20
2 Vinson & Elkins 3.35 20
3 Shearman & Sterling 3.48-3.54; 60
4 Hogan Lovells 3.45-3.6; 60
5 Dechert N/A; 40
6 Alston & Bird LLP 3.35; 5, 20
7 Winston & Strawn 3.42; 40
8 Holland & Knight 3.42-3.63; 1-5, 20
9 White&Case LLP NY 3.52-3.57; 5, 60
10 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 3.45; 80
11 Milbank, Tweed, Haley & McLoy LLP 3.65-3.67; 5, 40
17 Allen & Overy LLP 3.65; 20
12 Akin, Gump, Strauss 3.58; 40
13 Jones Day 3.55-3.6; 40
14 Paul Hastings LLP 3.55-3.62; 80
15 WilmerHale 3.;6 40

WEDNESDAY
1 Linklaters LLP 3.30-3.49; 40
2 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe N/A; 20
3 Hughes Hubbard & Reed 3.09-3.22; 20
4 Herbert Smith Freehills N/A ; 20
5 K&L Gates 3.45; 20
6 Crowell & Moring 3.477; 20
7 Morgan Lewis & Bokius 3.38; 20
8 Kirkland & Ellis 3.57; 20
9 Reed Smith LLP 3.23-3.29; 20
10 Ropes & Grey 3.63; 20
11 Moses & Singer N/A; 20


I'll give the best advice I can:

1) That's not the median.
2) Everyone thinks they are above average interviewers. You need to practice your story. Seriously, practice is what will actually make you stand out.
3) N/A means that that firm did not CB a significant number of students on the previous year. I personally regret bidding on them last year. It is up to you.
4) Firms with bigger classes seem to be more willing to give low GPA candidates a chance.
5) Last year I think people got at most 2 interviews on Wednesday. Choose that day wisely.

I am sure other people can give you better advice on how to bid on firms. What I wish I did last year: bid higher on firms with big class size. Avoid N/A. Bid firms that are slightly above my GPA.

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Lincoln » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I'm really worried about the AJF cuz my GPA is a little low, I think it's like right at the Median or maybe slightly below... It's around 3.35. For brief non-GPA information about myself, I am an Asian-American (U.S. citizen), I speak 2 foreign languages in addition to English pretty well, I don't think i'm a terrific interviewer, but I think I'm above average/decent interviewer... I have some working experience (2 years of non-legal and 6 months of legal exp.) prior to law school, and working at a midlaw for my 1L summer. I think I'm leaning towards transaction at the moment, but not completely sure, because I'm doing mostly litigation work at the moment at my 1L summer-job, and enjoying it too. I think I want to go international though, because I have a pretty diverse international experience and I think my foreign language skills will be a bigger plus at a global law firm than a more domestic-focused law firms, but i'm open to contrary suggestions.

Please give me any advices on my AJF in general or in specific on my bidlist below.
Thank you everyone so much for all your help in advance!

1 Greenberg Traurig N/A; 20
2 Goodwin Poctor 3.37-3.58; 20
3 Pilsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman F.. 3.2~3.3 ; 20
4 Clifford Chance M. 3.45-3.58 100
5 Bryan Cave F.3.21-3.49; 20
6 Cooley LLP N/A; 20
7 Proskauer Rose M. 3.39~ 3.46; 40
8 Curtis, Mallet, Provost F. 3.1 ~3.3 5; 20
9 Morison & Foerster M. 3.56; 20 slots
10 Kaye Scholer M. 3.39-3.47; 20
11 Chadbourne and Parke LLP M. 3.45-3.58; 1-5 20
12 Schulte Roth & Zabel M. 3.52-3.59; 1-5, 20
13 Seward & Kissel F.3.21-3.49; 5, 20


TUESDAY_BIDDING Law Firm GPA # of interview slots
1 White&Case LLP DC N/A 20
2 Vinson & Elkins 3.35 20
3 Shearman & Sterling 3.48-3.54; 60
4 Hogan Lovells 3.45-3.6; 60
5 Dechert N/A; 40
6 Alston & Bird LLP 3.35; 5, 20
7 Winston & Strawn 3.42; 40
8 Holland & Knight 3.42-3.63; 1-5, 20
9 White&Case LLP NY 3.52-3.57; 5, 60
10 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 3.45; 80
11 Milbank, Tweed, Haley & McLoy LLP 3.65-3.67; 5, 40
17 Allen & Overy LLP 3.65; 20
12 Akin, Gump, Strauss 3.58; 40
13 Jones Day 3.55-3.6; 40
14 Paul Hastings LLP 3.55-3.62; 80
15 WilmerHale 3.;6 40

WEDNESDAY
1 Linklaters LLP 3.30-3.49; 40
2 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe N/A; 20
3 Hughes Hubbard & Reed 3.09-3.22; 20
4 Herbert Smith Freehills N/A ; 20
5 K&L Gates 3.45; 20
6 Crowell & Moring 3.477; 20
7 Morgan Lewis & Bokius 3.38; 20
8 Kirkland & Ellis 3.57; 20
9 Reed Smith LLP 3.23-3.29; 20
10 Ropes & Grey 3.63; 20
11 Moses & Singer N/A; 20


You need to focus more on class sizes. Ceteris paribus,bigger is better.

User avatar
Lavitz

Gold
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Also I have no idea why you're wasting your #1 slot on Tuesday on White and Case's DC office, especially when every other firm is NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 am

Lavitz wrote:Also I have no idea why you're wasting your #1 slot on Tuesday on White and Case's DC office, especially when every other firm is NYC.


Hey~ Thanks for your comment. So I bided #1 on White & Case DC office, because it is for some reason one of my top choice firms, and I really don't care which office, as long as it has some international practice. I figured I could say I'm interested in DC office because I have undergraduate background in international relations, and I did senior thesis on foreign direct investment and intl arbitration, so i have significant interest in intrnational trade, international arbitration, and the like, and the Regulatory law practice, and so DC office is the ideal place for my practice interest.

I'm not sure if that is good enough of a reason for wanting to be in DC, since i have 0 connection to the area otherwise. If you suggest to remove my bid r change my bid on White & Case DC office, I would be happy to do so~ please let me know what you think~

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:\
I'll give the best advice I can:

1) That's not the median.
2) Everyone thinks they are above average interviewers. You need to practice your story. Seriously, practice is what will actually make you stand out.
3) N/A means that that firm did not CB a significant number of students on the previous year. I personally regret bidding on them last year. It is up to you.
4) Firms with bigger classes seem to be more willing to give low GPA candidates a chance.
5) Last year I think people got at most 2 interviews on Wednesday. Choose that day wisely.

I am sure other people can give you better advice on how to bid on firms. What I wish I did last year: bid higher on firms with big class size. Avoid N/A. Bid firms that are slightly above my GPA.


Hey thanks for your advice! Yes, I think I have a pretty good story, or so I have been told by my mock-interviewers, so I'll practice a lot to make it good.
I had no idea N/A meant that the firm did not call back a sign. # of students the previous year, as the Career Services office did not mention that at all! Thanks for letting me know, I'll rethink my bid again based on the known GPA info and the class size..

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:23 am

How hard is it to pick up slots after bidding? I have arranged pre-AJF early interviews with a few firms that I really like (two from day 1), and my bid list for that day is now mostly firms out of my GPA range. My thought is why not roll the dice since I have two interviews I'm happy with for day 1 already set up. Would love some general feedback on picking up interviews post bidding. Thanks.

User avatar
runthetrap1990

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runthetrap1990 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to pick up slots after bidding? I have arranged pre-AJF early interviews with a few firms that I really like (two from day 1), and my bid list for that day is now mostly firms out of my GPA range. My thought is why not roll the dice since I have two interviews I'm happy with for day 1 already set up. Would love some general feedback on picking up interviews post bidding. Thanks.


The way to pick up slots is to hustle. I would block off an hour so that you can find a secure internet spot (call it a lunch break) and be ready to log into simplicity and pick up slots at the moment they go live. Most open firm slots will go incredibly fast, although you may see some of the Delaware firms or IP based firms linger around for a while.

I would also make sure you are aware of your schedule when you are doing open bidding, because you don't want to pick up a slot that is at the same time as another interview, or like immediately before or after (showing up late is bad form, and its not worth the risk).

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm

To the anon with "median grades". I'm around that position as well. OCS hinted that the technical 3.35 is probably not median. Most likely median is a bit higher, so could be around a 3.40.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the anon with "median grades". I'm around that position as well. OCS hinted that the technical 3.35 is probably not median. Most likely median is a bit higher, so could be around a 3.40.

It's still higher than that, I'm afraid

Fortunately, it's all "median" in that 3.35-3.55 range. Interviewing ability and prep will be the difference maker

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runinthefront » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the anon with "median grades". I'm around that position as well. OCS hinted that the technical 3.35 is probably not median. Most likely median is a bit higher, so could be around a 3.40.

It's still higher than that, I'm afraid

Fortunately, it's all "median" in that 3.35-3.55 range. Interviewing ability and prep will be the difference maker

Exactly. Pretty dumb to split hairs re what's median, particularly since only the Registrar + administration knows.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babum

Bronze
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Babum » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I'm really worried about the AJF cuz my GPA is a little low, I think it's like right at the Median or maybe slightly below... It's around 3.35. For brief non-GPA information about myself, I am an Asian-American (U.S. citizen), I speak 2 foreign languages in addition to English pretty well, I don't think i'm a terrific interviewer, but I think I'm above average/decent interviewer... I have some working experience (2 years of non-legal and 6 months of legal exp.) prior to law school, and working at a midlaw for my 1L summer. I think I'm leaning towards transaction at the moment, but not completely sure, because I'm doing mostly litigation work at the moment at my 1L summer-job, and enjoying it too. I think I want to go international though, because I have a pretty diverse international experience and I think my foreign language skills will be a bigger plus at a global law firm than a more domestic-focused law firms, but i'm open to contrary suggestions.

Please give me any advices on my AJF in general or in specific on my bidlist below.
Thank you everyone so much for all your help in advance!

1 Greenberg Traurig N/A; 20
2 Goodwin Poctor 3.37-3.58; 20
3 Pilsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman F.. 3.2~3.3 ; 20
4 Clifford Chance M. 3.45-3.58 100
5 Bryan Cave F.3.21-3.49; 20
6 Cooley LLP N/A; 20
7 Proskauer Rose M. 3.39~ 3.46; 40
8 Curtis, Mallet, Provost F. 3.1 ~3.3 5; 20
9 Morison & Foerster M. 3.56; 20 slots
10 Kaye Scholer M. 3.39-3.47; 20
11 Chadbourne and Parke LLP M. 3.45-3.58; 1-5 20
12 Schulte Roth & Zabel M. 3.52-3.59; 1-5, 20
13 Seward & Kissel F.3.21-3.49; 5, 20


TUESDAY_BIDDING Law Firm GPA # of interview slots
1 White&Case LLP DC N/A 20
2 Vinson & Elkins 3.35 20
3 Shearman & Sterling 3.48-3.54; 60
4 Hogan Lovells 3.45-3.6; 60
5 Dechert N/A; 40
6 Alston & Bird LLP 3.35; 5, 20
7 Winston & Strawn 3.42; 40
8 Holland & Knight 3.42-3.63; 1-5, 20
9 White&Case LLP NY 3.52-3.57; 5, 60
10 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP 3.45; 80
11 Milbank, Tweed, Haley & McLoy LLP 3.65-3.67; 5, 40
17 Allen & Overy LLP 3.65; 20
12 Akin, Gump, Strauss 3.58; 40
13 Jones Day 3.55-3.6; 40
14 Paul Hastings LLP 3.55-3.62; 80
15 WilmerHale 3.;6 40

WEDNESDAY
1 Linklaters LLP 3.30-3.49; 40
2 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe N/A; 20
3 Hughes Hubbard & Reed 3.09-3.22; 20
4 Herbert Smith Freehills N/A ; 20
5 K&L Gates 3.45; 20
6 Crowell & Moring 3.477; 20
7 Morgan Lewis & Bokius 3.38; 20
8 Kirkland & Ellis 3.57; 20
9 Reed Smith LLP 3.23-3.29; 20
10 Ropes & Grey 3.63; 20
11 Moses & Singer N/A; 20


I'll give the best advice I can:

1) That's not the median.
2) Everyone thinks they are above average interviewers. You need to practice your story. Seriously, practice is what will actually make you stand out.
3) N/A means that that firm did not CB a significant number of students on the previous year. I personally regret bidding on them last year. It is up to you.
4) Firms with bigger classes seem to be more willing to give low GPA candidates a chance.
5) Last year I think people got at most 2 interviews on Wednesday. Choose that day wisely.

I am sure other people can give you better advice on how to bid on firms. What I wish I did last year: bid higher on firms with big class size. Avoid N/A. Bid firms that are slightly above my GPA.


Looks like I did an accidental anon, sorry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm

You think median is higher than 3.4? What is your source for that? I'd be willing to say that it's at most 3.45. There are only a few classes that hand out more As and A-s than Bs and B+s

User avatar
runthetrap1990

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 am

nvrmind
Last edited by runthetrap1990 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lavitz

Gold
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 am

runinthefront wrote:Pretty dumb to split hairs re what's median, particularly since only the Registrar + administration knows.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:13 am

Pretty shitty thing to disclose over TLS. Have any of you ever thought why the school chooses not to release a median and instead just lists a range of acceptable grade distributions?

Nah?

Okay.

:roll:
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:18 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Assuming it was and knowing that the top 5% and 10% have been steadily rising ever since (however, I think 30% has stayed a little more constant), I would say the median is now somewhere higher.

The amount of B- and C+ grades have increased too over the last couple of years. A rise in the top 10% and 5% don't really explain anything, considering that professors could just be choosing to give out A/A+ like candy to the top kids and boning the bottom of the curve. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there are other explanations for certain rises.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 am

I realize this is all anecdotal, but of the 20 or so people I'm open about grades with, I would say I don't know a single person below a 3.495. 3.495 is an A-/B+ average. You hear about the kids at the very top, sometimes you hear about someone with a bad class, but I would have to assume the generic 1L curve with 80% of kids B+ and above in each class makes for an exceptionally large middle.

I would love to see the breakdowns of the bottom 50%. I bet there are VERY few students below a 3.3. Seems if you're above a 3.6, you're gold for OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:21 am

Sounds like you have some smart friends...of the people who have shared grades with me for whatever reason, I would say I know about half/half over a 3.45.

If median is at a 3.47 (as the above user says), then I I don't see how median is at a 3.6. This would mean that 0.13 is the difference between 50% and 70%.

But again I think as one of the above users says, if you're in the range of a 3.3-3.45 you're probably median and there's probably a handful of people within this band. Maybe it's more accurate to consider this as the "middle 30", while Dean's list is "top 30" and anything under a 3.3 is probably "bottom 30."

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 am

Honestly, who care what the distribution is. We have historical GPA data for the firms, not rankings cut offs - its irrelevant.

Anyway, this is the first anon with a 3.66 and interest in Real Estate, M&A and Finance. I have adjusted my bid list and was hoping for any last second thoughts before I officially submit - I am bidding on every firm but only included up until 10 because it sounds like everything after 10 is a crapshoot anyway

Thanks!

day 1:

1. Proskauer (3.6) (20)
2. Gibson Dunn (3.71) (20)
3. Paul Weiss (3.67) (40)
4. Weil Gothshal (3.59) (40)
5. Latham (3.62) (60)
6. Debevoise and Plimpton (3.69) (40)
7. Fried Frank (3.57) (20)
8. Willkie Farr (3.53) (60)
9. Clifford Chance (3.55) (100)
10. Davis Polk (3.74) (60)


Day 2:

1. Sidley Austin (3.65) (20)
2. Shearman (3.51) (60)
3. Simpson Thatcher (3.71) (60)
4. Millbank Tweed (3.66) (40)
5. Cadwalader (3.45) (80)
6. Paul Hastings (3.55) (80)
7. White & Case (3.54) (60)
8. WilmerHale (3.61) (40)
9. Jones Day (3.57) (40)
10. Akin Gump (3.58) (40)



Day 3:

1. Ropes & Grey (3.63) (20)
2. Kirkland (3.57) (20)
3. Skadden Arps (3.76) (20)
4. Hunton Williams (3.38) (20)
5. Linklaters (3.39) (40)

User avatar
runthetrap1990

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am

runinthefront wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
Assuming it was and knowing that the top 5% and 10% have been steadily rising ever since (however, I think 30% has stayed a little more constant), I would say the median is now somewhere higher.

The amount of B- and C+ grades have increased too over the last couple of years. A rise in the top 10% and 5% don't really explain anything, considering that professors could just be choosing to give out A/A+ like candy to the top kids and boning the bottom of the curve. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there are other explanations for certain rises.


Fair point, I don't disagree with you at all. I was just giving my own musings as to where I thought things may stand. Regardless, I took it down as it's not worth any issues or stress.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316426
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 pm

How exactly does the lottery work? Can someone who bid a firm lower than you get their choice while you don't? Or is it just a lottery between those who ranked the firm in the same spot as you.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.