Post removed...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Re: Cornell 2016 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:38 pm

A little surprised no one has contacted me re: my firm considering how many people I reached out to my summer. Kind of thought everyone did that but maybe I am a secret gunner.

BourneAgain

New

Postby BourneAgain » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:A little surprised no one has contacted me re: my firm considering how many people I reached out to my summer. Kind of thought everyone did that but maybe I am a secret gunner.

Where do you work?

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 pm

BourneAgain wrote:
tyrant_flycatcher wrote:A little surprised no one has contacted me re: my firm considering how many people I reached out to my summer. Kind of thought everyone did that but maybe I am a secret gunner.

Where do you work?

I'm not going to out myself! My year I had Career Services set me up with 3Ls at firms I had interviews w/

Babum

Bronze

Postby Babum » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:22 am

deepseapartners wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am hoping for the following schedule next semester and wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew:
secondary journal, LII, Biz orgs, 2 other classes, 1 seminar, and 1 clinic
(Or, secondary journal, LII, Biz orgs, 1 other class, 2 seminars, and 1 clinic)
Both would be 16 credits.
Should I drop any attempts at getting the clinic and/or drop a class if I do get a clinic?

Related: what are some courses that are known to be an easy A/ lighter workload/ especially painful to take/ etc.? I'm interested in transactional law but haven't narrowed it down any further. I don't know what the workload is like for any of the classes and would appreciate any advice I can get.

There's no schedule you could create where taking 16 credits, including a clinic, on top of secondary journal/LII, will be a good idea, especially if you are interested in transactional law and don't have to worry about building a clerkship resume.

If I were you, I would (1) quit LII, (2) take intro to transactional lawyering, and (3) only take one seminar. Also, be careful about which clinic you choose, they can be as much or more of a time suck than even journal work, and you are unlikely to get higher than an A- no matter how hard you work.

Well, I am glad that you are not him. Don't quit LII.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 am

Babum wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am hoping for the following schedule next semester and wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew:
Should I drop any attempts at getting the clinic and/or drop a class if I do get a clinic?

Related: what are some courses that are known to be an easy A/ lighter workload/ especially painful to take/ etc.? I'm interested in transactional law but haven't narrowed it down any further. I don't know what the workload is like for any of the classes and would appreciate any advice I can get.

There's no schedule you could create where taking 16 credits, including a clinic, on top of secondary journal/LII, will be a good idea, especially if you are interested in transactional law and don't have to worry about building a clerkship resume.

If I were you, I would (1) quit LII, (2) take intro to transactional lawyering, and (3) only take one seminar. Also, be careful about which clinic you choose, they can be as much or more of a time suck than even journal work, and you are unlikely to get higher than an A- no matter how hard you work.

Just for my personal curiosity, why would you tell someone in the poster's position to not quit LII, excepting the "don't be a quitter" mantra?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 am

Lavitz wrote:Also not sure why OP is planning on 16 credits in a semester. Also not sure why OP posted in this thread instead of the c/o 2018 thread and why the post needs to be anon.

Because I had two threads open in two different tabs and posted without looking :oops: sorry...

Lavitz wrote:And advising would be easier if you could further narrow down which classes and clinics you're considering. All I will say for now is that the Government Lawyer is the easiest 2 credits in the history of the universe.

Courses:
- First choice biz orgs, if not, fed tax
- antitrust/compliance/WTO -- pick two, really want antitrust
Seminar:
- deals seminar or the sharing economy
Clinic:
securities or children, but open to whatever.

deepseapartners wrote:There's no schedule you could create where taking 16 credits, including a clinic, on top of secondary journal/LII, will be a good idea, especially if you are interested in transactional law and don't have to worry about building a clerkship resume.

Noted, and with a little more pausing to think about what I want out of law school, I agree.

deepseapartners wrote:If I were you, I would (1) quit LII, (2) take intro to transactional lawyering, and (3) only take one seminar. Also, be careful about which clinic you choose, they can be as much or more of a time suck than even journal work, and you are unlikely to get higher than an A- no matter how hard you work.

Intro to transactional lawyering overlaps with antitrust; the latter sounds really interesting... But why quit LII? I agree it's not particularly geared towards transactional law :P but it seems like a great way to keep up with, read, and analyze scotus happenings.

After reading the rather helpful responses (thanks, everyone!) I will probably drop the clinic and take three courses and a seminar, 12 credits, and maybe add a 1 or 2 credit class that is on an accelerated schedule (i.e., ends by early October). Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anything been released re: honors fellow?

Think this varies by section, but some were sent out yesterday / today

Babum

Bronze

Postby Babum » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

deepseapartners wrote:
Babum wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:

Just for my personal curiosity, why would you tell someone in the poster's position to not quit LII, excepting the "don't be a quitter" mantra?

For starters? Because I'd have to look for a new associate.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Babum wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:Just for my personal curiosity, why would you tell someone in the poster's position to not quit LII, excepting the "don't be a quitter" mantra?

For starters? Because I'd have to look for a new associate.

:lol:

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:57 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:I'm not going to out myself! My year I had Career Services set me up with 3Ls at firms I had interviews w/

I only reached out to a few people who I already knew. Mainly because OCS gave me names of mostly 4Ls who were a week away from taking the bar exam, so I didn't want to bother them. :roll:

Speaking of which, bar prep is overrated.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Courses:
- First choice biz orgs, if not, fed tax
- antitrust/compliance/WTO -- pick two, really want antitrust
Seminar:
- deals seminar or the sharing economy
Clinic:
securities or children, but open to whatever.

After reading the rather helpful responses (thanks, everyone!) I will probably drop the clinic and take three courses and a seminar, 12 credits, and maybe add a 1 or 2 credit class that is on an accelerated schedule (i.e., ends by early October). Thank you.

Bizorgs / antitrust / compliance or WTO / seminar seems fine. I heard antitrust is easier if you have a background in economics, but no idea whether it's actually difficult, and Hay seems pretty cool.

For choosing between compliance and WTO, may want to consider final exam schedule. Will have bizorgs and antitrust two days in a row, with compliance much earlier, but WTO would make it 3 in a row and you would have to defer one of the exams. Not sure if you'd have to defer to that Friday or if you could get them to let you to defer until the following Monday.

And if you're going to write a note for your journal, may want to pick seminar where your seminar paper can double as your note, unless there's a seminar that's also just so easy that the combination of the seminar + separate note writing isn't a burden. No idea what the deals seminar is like so can't comment on that.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Lavitz wrote:
And if you're going to write a note for your journal, may want to pick seminar where your seminar paper can double as your note

+1. Made my life much easier in what was a pretty hectic semester.

Lavitz wrote:
tyrant_flycatcher wrote:I'm not going to out myself! My year I had Career Services set me up with 3Ls at firms I had interviews w/

I only reached out to a few people who I already knew. Mainly because OCS gave me names of mostly 4Ls who were a week away from taking the bar exam, so I didn't want to bother them. :roll:

No one likes talking to me either. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anything been released re: honors fellow?

Think this varies by section, but some were sent out yesterday / today

Do you know which sections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am

for men: briefcase or messenger bag to lug around all of our papers? any suggestions for nice/not outrageously expensive ones available on line?

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:for men: briefcase or messenger bag to lug around all of our papers? any suggestions for nice/not outrageously expensive ones available on line?

Either is fine. You can totally leave it outside of the interviewer's room and just bring a padfolio in, so I wouldn't worry about getting something nice if your sole motivation is keeping up appearances. They don't have to see your briefcase or bag if you don't want them to.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 am

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:for men: briefcase or messenger bag to lug around all of our papers? any suggestions for nice/not outrageously expensive ones available on line?

Either is fine. You can totally leave it outside of the interviewer's room and just bring a padfolio in, so I wouldn't worry about getting something nice if your sole motivation is keeping up appearances. They don't have to see your briefcase or bag if you don't want them to.

I rolled up to AJF with my trusted backpack and kept it in the waiting room. To the interview, I would then bring a padfolio where I kept all my materials in. Having less things on made me feel less stressed, for whatever reason.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 am

Just bring a padfolio into the interview with you. You don't need to worry about w/e bag you brought being seen because you will almost assuredly keep it in the big ballroom where the students sit/wait/eat/bullshit
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am

To pile on, I would actively avoid bringing a bag into an interview room. There's no need for it when you have a padfolio, and it can only do more harm than good if it adds clutter, has a strap that wrinkles your suit / detracts from your appearance, makes you look disorganized when you have to sort through it to find something, potentially forget that you left it on the side of the chair and absentmindedly leave the room without it, etc. Even when I brought a bag to calbacks, it was usually because it was raining and I wanted to toss my umbrella in there, and then I left the bag with the firm's receptionist.

Also, preferably, the padfolio should not have a zipper. Mainly because of a traumatic experience I had. :lol:

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 pm

Good luck, y'all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Just received a CB from Stroock. Interviewer initials: D.S.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Anyone received callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Do firms often invite candidates out to dinner or drinks after screeners? This seems odd. Does this mean that a callback is pending or that they are still deciding? Is everyone who is screened invited?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms often invite candidates out to dinner or drinks after screeners? This seems odd. Does this mean that a callback is pending or that they are still deciding? Is everyone who is screened invited?

Do you know which firms were doing dinner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms often invite candidates out to dinner or drinks after screeners? This seems odd. Does this mean that a callback is pending or that they are still deciding? Is everyone who is screened invited?

are you talking about Cravath? I think everybody who screens gets invited, but not positive

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:56 pm

edit

Return to “Legal Employment?