3.2 @ V - Is DC Out? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.2 @ V - Is DC Out?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Should I even bother with bidding DC? Focus on NY? Any secondary markets?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: 3.2 @ V - Is DC Out?

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm

does UVA have grade spreadsheets, bid statistics, and hiring history? That would be the place to start I would think

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Have an honest conversation about the strength and weaknesses of your resume with career services, and use the data Kevin Donovan sent you on your band's placement at DC firms the past two years instead of relying on we TLS anons.

That being said, I know people in my class (rising 3L) below median who got DC biglaw jobs. Work experience, URM status, and networking ability will all help you. If you are in DC this summer go to every firm event possible. Find UVA alums at firms the band data tells you are realistic targets, and ask them to coffee. If you're not in DC, make email contact with these people. Follow the bid strategy career services will give you at webinars: sprinkle in the non-top-tier DC firms with big summer classes with a healthy amount of NY and other firms. If you're interested in NY, you will have a good shot at the firms with big classes there assuming you can interview well. Look at firms in NoVa as well. For secondary markets, consider places you have ties as well as any southeastern markets (since UVA places well in just about all of them) where you could see yourself happy. Remember that you'll also get supplemental bids that can be used anywhere except DC/NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an honest conversation about the strength and weaknesses of your resume with career services, and use the data Kevin Donovan sent you on your band's placement at DC firms the past two years instead of relying on we TLS anons.

That being said, I know people in my class (rising 3L) below median who got DC biglaw jobs. Work experience, URM status, and networking ability will all help you. If you are in DC this summer go to every firm event possible. Find UVA alums at firms the band data tells you are realistic targets, and ask them to coffee. If you're not in DC, make email contact with these people. Follow the bid strategy career services will give you at webinars: sprinkle in the non-top-tier DC firms with big summer classes with a healthy amount of NY and other firms. If you're interested in NY, you will have a good shot at the firms with big classes there assuming you can interview well. Look at firms in NoVa as well. For secondary markets, consider places you have ties as well as any southeastern markets (since UVA places well in just about all of them) where you could see yourself happy. Remember that you'll also get supplemental bids that can be used anywhere except DC/NY.
Thanks for this! Yeah, as long as the general advice is that I'm not wasting my bids by going anywhere near DC, I'm planning to give it a shot by doing 35 NY-15 DC mix-and-match. I'm just afraid that 3.2 is way too low for DC, and I'd hate to waste my bids knowing that I'm already facing an uphill climb. Not sure how well I interview, but I have a few years of experience in the private sector (nothing amazing), so hopefully that'll help.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Just throw Covington somewhere near the bottom of your bid list and you'll be fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:29 pm

If you want to just maximize your chances at BL, I would do almost all NY bids (with secondary markets you have ties to) and then hustle to pick up mass mail/vacant interview slots for DC. You are right 3.2 for DC is going to be a little low, but you have WE which helps some.

If you heart is set on DC though, I think that matters, and would say that a 35/15 split is a good call.

Take advantage of all the help career services provides. Have them look over your bids, do mock interviews, solid resume, etc.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Nah - your grades wont do you any favors but a good connection with the interviewer(s) can still take you to the finish line.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Br3v wrote:If you want to just maximize your chances at BL, I would do almost all NY bids (with secondary markets you have ties to) and then hustle to pick up mass mail/vacant interview slots for DC. You are right 3.2 for DC is going to be a little low, but you have WE which helps some.

If you heart is set on DC though, I think that matters, and would say that a 35/15 split is a good call.

Take advantage of all the help career services provides. Have them look over your bids, do mock interviews, solid resume, etc.
Thanks for the advice here. Yeah, it's a tough call. I think NY is much more doable with 3.2. However, DC is where I want to be. I'd rather have a job somewhere, anywhere, than no offer though. From your experience, how much would WE help? Again, nothing phenomenal. Just some unrelated office gig for three years.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Br3v wrote:If you want to just maximize your chances at BL, I would do almost all NY bids (with secondary markets you have ties to) and then hustle to pick up mass mail/vacant interview slots for DC. You are right 3.2 for DC is going to be a little low, but you have WE which helps some.

Thanks for the advice here. Yeah, it's a tough call. I think NY is much more doable with 3.2. However, DC is where I want to be. I'd rather have a job somewhere, anywhere, than no offer though. From your experience, how much would WE help? Again, nothing phenomenal. Just some unrelated office gig for three years.
I think firms like WE a lot actually. Hard to quantify though. I would totally be mass-emailing DC firms though, and working the lunch rooms at OGI/vacant interview slots.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Br3v wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think firms like WE a lot actually. Hard to quantify though. I would totally be mass-emailing DC firms though, and working the lunch rooms at OGI/vacant interview slots.
That's good to hear. Question about mass-emailing. So I understand that I should absolutely mass mail these firms. Is right now a good time to start? Or wait until July or so?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:07 pm

North wrote:Just throw Covington somewhere near the bottom of your bid list and you'll be fine

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Emma. wrote:
North wrote:Just throw Covington somewhere near the bottom of your bid list and you'll be fine
LOL, I have no shot at Covington.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:21 pm

You absolutely should. I was around a 3.3ish during OGI and came out with callbacks with multiple V20 firms and ended up at a V15 in DC, which I only got through the lottery. If you have a good personality, you'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's good to hear. Question about mass-emailing. So I understand that I should absolutely mass mail these firms. Is right now a good time to start? Or wait until July or so?
I don't really remember the usual dates, but I can't see how sending some now would hurt. You'll end up doing them in batches probably anyways.

Feel free to PM me with any questions btw. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an honest conversation about the strength and weaknesses of your resume with career services, and use the data Kevin Donovan sent you on your band's placement at DC firms the past two years instead of relying on we TLS anons.

Thanks for this! Yeah, as long as the general advice is that I'm not wasting my bids by going anywhere near DC, I'm planning to give it a shot by doing 35 NY-15 DC mix-and-match. I'm just afraid that 3.2 is way too low for DC, and I'd hate to waste my bids knowing that I'm already facing an uphill climb. Not sure how well I interview, but I have a few years of experience in the private sector (nothing amazing), so hopefully that'll help.
No prob! Your WE will definitely help, even if it's not directly related--many firms will like that you're 25/26 with experience in a professional office as opposed to 22/23 with only summer internship experience. And yeah, bidding is just about risk mitigaion. Even at 3.2, you can bid a handful of DC firms that are a moderate reach with hopes that you get a lottery spot and hit it off well so long as the rest of your bid list has enough higher-percentage firms on it.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:47 am

Fuck u.

Outed and banned

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Emma. wrote:
LOL, I have no shot at Covington.
nvm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”