Michigan OCI 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am

MLR invites are traditionally by phone call. 100 people in your class didn't apply, so you've got a decent shot of getting on if you did--and provided you didn't manage to mess up the formatting rules, which lots of people do, those chances are better still. However, the low number of applications doesn't much affect how long things take because the grading deadlines weren't dependent upon the number of submission. Enjoy all the blue booking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Does LR make much of a difference if you're above median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:35 pm

That was a tease...does the post at the top of this page imply that LR grading is at least done? Would like some finality in "completing" 1L if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That was a tease...does the post at the top of this page imply that LR grading is at least done? Would like some finality in "completing" 1L if possible.

Agreed... OP definitely has some inside info.

The 2015 and 2014 OCI threads seem to indicate LR invites went out on or around the 29th but it would be great not to have this remain hanging over my head until this time next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:54 pm

MLR is doing selection this weekend. Anyone still waiting on a secondary journal? I know MJEAL offers went out as early as two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:MLR is doing selection this weekend.

Shit, like calling people?

Anonymous User wrote: Anyone still waiting on a secondary journal? I know MJEAL offers went out as early as two weeks ago.

JLR went out about 2 weeks ago too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:13 am

I can't remember if I applied to Business and Entrepreneurial Review or the Telecommunications and Technology Review, can we still log in to a submission page that shows us the journals we completed applications for? Also, if anyone has heard back from either of those journals that would be great to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can't remember if I applied to Business and Entrepreneurial Review or the Telecommunications and Technology Review, can we still log in to a submission page that shows us the journals we completed applications for? Also, if anyone has heard back from either of those journals that would be great to know.

I think the MLR/journal application site has converted to write-on for transfer students so I don't think that will be that much help. I didn't apply (read: didn't finish applying) to any secondaries so I'm not sure if this is applies to journals as well but, MLR sent a confirmation email for each document uploaded so you might have those somewhere in a dark corner of your inbox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does LR make much of a difference if you're above median?

First, being above median isn't do great that you don't need anything else.

Getting on MLR is a modest bump for anyone, but the key word is modest. There are a few firms that have seemed to exclusively offer to people on MLR, but that's probably mostly the grade factor being filtered. Grades are the biggest factor, and MLR is icing on the cake, if you will. A person around median (just over a 3.3) is probably not getting offers from elite firms (elite meaning Wachtell, Cravath, DPW, Cleary, Skadden, Sull Crom, or Simpson in NYC; KE, Sidley, Latham, Skadden in Chicago; Ropes in Boston; basically every big firm in DC; MTO and Irell out west) regardless of MLR, but it might be a nice talking point (I see you'll be on MLR, what was the write on topic? What did you argue? Any idea what you might do a note on?). And for many firms it would make the difference between two otherwise very similar interviewees. If you're around a 3.65 to 3.7, it might well propel you into getting a more serious look from the elite firms. It isn't getting anyone with a 3.4 an offer at Cravath, and it isn't standing in the way of someone with a 3.9 who knocks interviews out of the park getting an offer anywhere.

As for OCI advice, be prepared, but slow yourself down, relax and look happy.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
relax and look happy.

^^most important

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No, like selecting people. Hence the term "selection" - as opposed to "extending offers" or "notifying admits".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:

First, being above median isn't do great that you don't need anything else.

Getting on MLR is a modest bump for anyone, but the key word is modest. There are a few firms that have seemed to exclusively offer to people on MLR, but that's probably mostly the grade factor being filtered. Grades are the biggest factor, and MLR is icing on the cake, if you will. A person around median (just over a 3.3) is probably not getting offers from elite firms (elite meaning Wachtell, Cravath, DPW, Cleary, Skadden, Sull Crom, or Simpson in NYC; KE, Sidley, Latham, Skadden in Chicago; Ropes in Boston; basically every big firm in DC; MTO and Irell out west) regardless of MLR, but it might be a nice talking point (I see you'll be on MLR, what was the write on topic? What did you argue? Any idea what you might do a note on?). And for many firms it would make the difference between two otherwise very similar interviewees. If you're around a 3.65 to 3.7, it might well propel you into getting a more serious look from the elite firms. It isn't getting anyone with a 3.4 an offer at Cravath, and it isn't standing in the way of someone with a 3.9 who knocks interviews out of the park getting an offer anywhere.

As for OCI advice, be prepared, but slow yourself down, relax and look happy.

OP here. Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant above the median GPA for a given firm. Obviously your advice still applies (and is appreciated), but I wanted to make it clear that I'm aware being above the overall median isn't a golden ticket to Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, like selecting people. Hence the term "selection" - as opposed to "extending offers" or "notifying admits".

To be fair, "selection" on its own, without any additional context, does not automatically exclude the act of extending offers. This is especially true when being interpreted by a nervous post-1L who invested blood, sweat, and tears into the LR competition and who is unfamiliar with the internal application review process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 pm

1) Does anyone know if Law Review offers have been extended?
2) Do offers and rejections occur at the same time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) Does anyone know if Law Review offers have been extended?
2) Do offers and rejections occur at the same time?

Radio silence here.

I think rejection is via email so all rejections could conceivably come out before acceptances. Or vice versa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To be fair, "selection" on its own, without any additional context, does not automatically exclude the act of extending offers. This is especially true when being interpreted by a nervous post-1L who invested blood, sweat, and tears into the LR competition and who is unfamiliar with the internal application review process.

This is the most law school back and forth of all time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:14 am

Those of you who are in the 3.7+ club should try to land an offer before OCI. Going into OCI with multiple offers is awesome, and it allows you to drop some of your interviews--making you more relaxed and leaving more interviews for those who need them. The big New York firms are almost all playing this pre-OCI game, especially for those students in NY this summer. However, they are willing to fly people in to interview as well. I did multiple pre-OCI full length callbacks in NY without an initial screener. Even if you interview and don't get an offer, it's also good prep for OCI.

From neighboring thread:

Offers before OCI season:
Cleary Gottlieb (NY)
Cravath (NY)
Davis Polk (NY)
Debevoise & Plimpton (NY)
Gibson Dunn (NY)
Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
Latham & Watkins (NY)
Morris Nichols (DE)
Paul Hastings (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Potter Anderson (DE)
Skadden (DC)
Skadden (DE)
Skadden (NY)
Sullivan & Cromwell (NY)
Wiley Rein (DC)

Callbacks pre OCI season:
Akin Gump (DC)
Blank Rome (PA)
Cadwalader (NYC)
Cooley (CA)
DLA Piper (CA--LA)
DLA Piper (DC)
Fried Frank (NY)
Latham & Watkins (CA)
Latham & Watkins (DC)
Orrick (CA--LA)
Paul Weiss (NY)
Pillsbury (CA)
Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
Sheppard Mullin (CA)
Weil, Gotshal & Manges (NY)
Willkie Farr & Gallagher (DC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:55 am

Does anyone know of any Michigan firms that have callbacks/make offers pre-OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Alright, enough of all of this waiting...someone has to have inside info on LR selections. Cough it up so we can all stop neurotically checking our e-mails/phones!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of any Michigan firms that have callbacks/make offers pre-OCI?

Most will do a pre-OCI interview, not sure of the non-mich firms with a presence here though. Bodman in Detroit does, Varnum in GR does, ClarkHill used to - may have changed post-merger, Dykema does.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright, enough of all of this waiting...someone has to have inside info on LR selections. Cough it up so we can all stop neurotically checking our e-mails/phones!

Not inside info but they came out on the 29th last year...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:11 pm

If the MLR packet says they will notify people in early July then it's very unlikely they're going to notify anyone before that because that's based on their grading/selection schedule that they set in advance. In past years MLR has extended all offers on the same day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:01 am

I'm mostly interviewing in my hometown so I think heading back there after EIW would make things easier on me for most potential CBs, though some would be way further than they would be from A2.

Is there any reason I should be sticking around A2 instead? Not sure what the standard practice is...

potted plant

New

Postby potted plant » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm mostly interviewing in my hometown so I think heading back there after EIW would make things easier on me for most potential CBs, though some would be way further than they would be from A2.

Is there any reason I should be sticking around A2 instead? Not sure what the standard practice is...

The firms will pay for you to travel to your hometown or whatever other market for your CBs. You should probably wait until OCI has started and you've gotten some CBs to book any travel - some people get a bunch of CBs and can start scheduling them right away, and some people will have to wait a little longer so you won't really know where you need to be in advance. There's no particular reason to stay in A2 but if your flights from your hometown to other markets would be much more expensive than flights from A2 to that market, the firms may be more reluctant to pay for your ticket (I never had a firm refuse to pay for a ticket but I had at least one flight where the travel office had to get special permission to book me the ticket because it was last minute and pricey so in theory, there's a price point where they'll stop paying for your ticket).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 am

Based on past years, it's likely that Joe/Erin are making calls on Saturday, but that's just conjecture.

Return to “Legal Employment?