Is Biglaw for ppl with no debt? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Is Biglaw for ppl with no debt?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:36 pm

People, stop arguing about anon posting. Commenting on anon posting is also a bannable offense because it derails a thread.

Unnecessary anon posting is annoying because when you're in legal employment people like to know who's posting what, so you can get a sense of how to evaluate a comment (someone like me who's not in biglaw commenting on biglaw is different from someone who's a biglawyer commenting on biglaw, etc.).

That said, if you're sharing information about yourself that might help identify you or that you don't want made public (like scholarships/rank/employment options or lack thereof, etc), anon is perfectly appropriate.

Posting anon to hide the fact that you're posting in a given topic is stretching it, imho, and obviously don't post anon to be a dick or post in a forum where you're not yet allowed to post.

If anyone thinks that a post is anon abuse, just report it and don't argue about it in the thread.

(If that link is supposed to go to the thread where some guy listed on his resume all the law schools he'd gotten into but turned down, dear god do not be that person and do not do that.)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:People, stop arguing about anon posting. Commenting on anon posting is also a bannable offense because it derails a thread.

Unnecessary anon posting is annoying because when you're in legal employment people like to know who's posting what, so you can get a sense of how to evaluate a comment (someone like me who's not in biglaw commenting on biglaw is different from someone who's a biglawyer commenting on biglaw, etc.).

That said, if you're sharing information about yourself that might help identify you or that you don't want made public (like scholarships/rank/employment options or lack thereof, etc), anon is perfectly appropriate.

Posting anon to hide the fact that you're posting in a given topic is stretching it, imho, and obviously don't post anon to be a dick or post in a forum where you're not yet allowed to post.

If anyone thinks that a post is anon abuse, just report it and don't argue about it in the thread.

(If that link is supposed to go to the thread where some guy listed on his resume all the law schools he'd gotten into but turned down, dear god do not be that person and do not do that.)
Lol someone did that?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:People, stop arguing about anon posting. Commenting on anon posting is also a bannable offense because it derails a thread.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if half the anon posters don't have the qualifications to be giving advice, and I think that's a disservice to people seeking honest advice.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if half the anon posters don't have the qualifications to be giving advice, and I think that's a disservice to people seeking honest advice.
I really hope this was accidental anon, Nebs.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 pm

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I really hope this was accidental anon, Nebs.
Shit it was Hahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Nebby wrote:

I agree that's one of the reasons why unnecessary anon is a problem. But just report the post and move on, Nebby. Stop arguing about it here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have no debt and will be doing biglaw for 5 years hopefully. I'll pull in over a million over 5 years post-tax, which is enough to pay off a nice house and save 500k, even after living costs.

And the reality is that most other non-biglaw legal jobs still require much more than 40-hr weeks.

Could you share how you figured the bolded? I looked at the salary scale and there is no way. And I don't know that the bonuses get you there either.
Admittedly, I'm at a firm on the 180 scale; pay no state income tax; pay federal taxes as married filing jointly; and receive NY bonuses. YMMV.

Formula: Base + bonus = total --> After-tax total.

Year 1: 180 + 15 = 195 --> After tax: 159k.
Year 2: 190 + 25 = 215 --> After tax: 173k.
Year 3: 210 + 50 = 260 --> After tax: 205k.
Year 4: 235 + 65 = 300 --> After tax: 232k.
Year 5: 260 + 80 = 340 --> After tax: 258k.

Total: 1.027M over five years, after taxes. That also doesn't include the stub year or compounded interest on savings.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have no debt and will be doing biglaw for 5 years hopefully. I'll pull in over a million over 5 years post-tax, which is enough to pay off a nice house and save 500k, even after living costs.

And the reality is that most other non-biglaw legal jobs still require much more than 40-hr weeks.

Could you share how you figured the bolded? I looked at the salary scale and there is no way. And I don't know that the bonuses get you there either.
Admittedly, I'm at a firm on the 180 scale; pay no state income tax; pay federal taxes as married filing jointly; and receive NY bonuses. YMMV.

Total: 1.027M over five years, after taxes. That also doesn't include the stub year or compounded interest on savings.
Thanks for writing that out for me. And congrats dude, that's a pretty sweet deal. THe main difference looks like tax status in both rates and filing status. I'm going to NYC. I wanted to believe :D

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 am

I'm sure you guys will have no trouble hanging in for five years. JFC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:15 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm sure you guys will have no trouble hanging in for five years. JFC.

I'm not assuming I will be able to and think it is unlikely, although possible. And although unlikely, if it happens, more money = good. I still wanted to figure out if he was talking about NYC for those numbers though. I don't think that's unreasonable.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:

This blows my mind. I used a tax calculator and it seems like with standard deductions and personal exemptions for a person and their spouse with one income, you subtracted only the federal tax from the base + bonus. You haven't factored in $7,347 per year in social security taxes (increasing with inflation), and another 1%ish for medicare. That takes you under 1M but it's not far off. Let's say your living costs are $2k/month (including food, entertainment, health care, transportation costs, home maintenance, utilities, homeowner's insurance, property tax), that rounds up to 125k over 5 years. I guess if you count 401k against your 500k saved then that doesn't count against your home. If you get a good rate (3.5%) and pay your home off in 5 years you may only pay a small amount of interest, which means the base cost of your home might be around 350k for 375k total paid. So, if you live somewhere with no state income tax, NY market rate pay, and a "nice home" costs $350k, you have really set yourself up well after 5 years of biglaw, and I think the answer is a resounding "yes" that biglaw is for you if you're in the situation with no debt, as you can accelerate your long term financial stability so incredibly quickly. Personally I don't find that cost of living realistic but where I live that cost for a house remotely resembling "nice" is off by at least a factor of 2x, maybe 3-4x so maybe it's possible in some places, and I need to talk to my wife about going to there.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:36 am

sublime wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I'm sure you guys will have no trouble hanging in for five years. JFC.

I'm not assuming I will be able to and think it is unlikely, although possible. And although unlikely, if it happens, more money = good. I still wanted to figure out if he was talking about NYC for those numbers though. I don't think that's unreasonable.
It's not unreasonable. It's biglaw that's unreasonable.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:37 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
sublime wrote:

You're really killing the #NYto180 vibe. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:42 am

sublime wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
sublime wrote:

You're really killing the #NYto180 vibe. :wink:
No joke I really thought about quitting last weekend. And my biglaw experience has been really good. The 2/3 raise to 180 was fucking welcome but it's not gonna keep me around too long.

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 am

yea that's the funny part. I actually really like my firm and enjoy the work, have been very lucky to get on good cases...and I think about quitting all the fucking time. even the good outcomes are bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 am

I paid off my law school debt before starting at a firm because I went to night school with a 6 figure job and a scholarship but the money never hurts... You're going to end up with half a million in debt when you buy a house and your kids tuitions will be even higher than yours so I would say definitely worth doing if you can stomach it and you may even like it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:00 pm

OP here. Recently had an interview at a 200-lawyer firm and their minimum billable was 2400/yr. I would not have interviewed had I known this but this info could not be found anywhere.

I am hoping to find a 140K-160K in Los Angeles where minimum billable does not exceed 2100. Where can I find out more info on a firm's salary and billable requirement? Glassdoor is just really bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:51 pm

weee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:

This blows my mind. I used a tax calculator and it seems like with standard deductions and personal exemptions for a person and their spouse with one income, you subtracted only the federal tax from the base + bonus. You haven't factored in $7,347 per year in social security taxes (increasing with inflation), and another 1%ish for medicare. That takes you under 1M but it's not far off. Let's say your living costs are $2k/month (including food, entertainment, health care, transportation costs, home maintenance, utilities, homeowner's insurance, property tax), that rounds up to 125k over 5 years. I guess if you count 401k against your 500k saved then that doesn't count against your home. If you get a good rate (3.5%) and pay your home off in 5 years you may only pay a small amount of interest, which means the base cost of your home might be around 350k for 375k total paid. So, if you live somewhere with no state income tax, NY market rate pay, and a "nice home" costs $350k, you have really set yourself up well after 5 years of biglaw, and I think the answer is a resounding "yes" that biglaw is for you if you're in the situation with no debt, as you can accelerate your long term financial stability so incredibly quickly. Personally I don't find that cost of living realistic but where I live that cost for a house remotely resembling "nice" is off by at least a factor of 2x, maybe 3-4x so maybe it's possible in some places, and I need to talk to my wife about going to there.
no one--and I mean no one--has total living costs of $2k per month. so by definition no couple has living costs as low as $2k per month. food and entertainment alone may be $2k per month, then another $2k on rent, and another $500 on car/transport costs and incidentals. wtf.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 pm

$500 a week on "food and entertainment" sounds pretty generous.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:36 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:$500 a week on "food and entertainment" sounds pretty generous.
For two people? (It's more like $450 if we are talking $2000 per month). That's pretty conservative. Let's say you have lunch or dinner out three times a week. That's six meals, so say $150. Then how about going out one night a week. That's $100. Then groceries for the rest--that's $150+ per week (at a cheap grocer like trader joes). That leaves $50, or $25 per person, for anything else you want to ever do--live theater, a movie, a friend's concert, special occasions, whatever. (And who actually only eats 3 meals out a week and goes out only once? Come on these are not menonites).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:50 am

The anon saving-a-million person said they were married but never said their spouse didn't work, right? So there's no reason to factor in two people to the expenses.

(Personally I think $450/wk for food/entertainment for 2 people is kind of ridiculous, but I'm not in NYC - but then, neither is the anon-millionaire if they're living somewhere without state tax. Much of the rest of the country REALLY doesn't have to spend that much.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:59 am

jbagelboy wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:$500 a week on "food and entertainment" sounds pretty generous.
For two people? (It's more like $450 if we are talking $2000 per month). That's pretty conservative. Let's say you have lunch or dinner out three times a week. That's six meals, so say $150. Then how about going out one night a week. That's $100. Then groceries for the rest--that's $150+ per week (at a cheap grocer like trader joes). That leaves $50, or $25 per person, for anything else you want to ever do--live theater, a movie, a friend's concert, special occasions, whatever. (And who actually only eats 3 meals out a week and goes out only once? Come on these are not menonites).
This is a severely distorted view.

makerbreaker

New

Post by makerbreaker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:01 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Food plus entertainment for me and SO consistently cost less than $200 a week. Three meals provided at work (tech company) for one of us. For the other maybe lunch out a few times (each below $15), and dinner covered by one of our works. We cook on the weekend (grocery <30), perhaps go to a movie ($30 max). This still leaves plenty of room for transportation, haircut, dry cleaning, etc. But I can understand money just mysteriously disappears in NYC.

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:35 am

I know the anon doesn't live in nyc but in nyc $450-500 (for two people) a week on food and entertainment seems reasonable to me. Eating out/going out is ridiculously expensive in the city (I read somewhere an average bill is $40-50 per person) and an average resident probably does it at least a few times a week. Obviously, if you don't drink or prefer to cook on weekends, then $450-500 may be on the high side but I have a hard time believing that's the case for most folks who live in nyc. Don't forget to add $50 or so a week on lunch/starbucks. And groceries aren't cheap either. $30 for two people on weekends? That's ~10 meals for $30? Makerbreaker if you live in nyc, can you let me know where you shop?
Last edited by spyke123 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:36 am

bk1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
This is a severely distorted view.
is it? remember we're talking about adults, not students. in law school sure, I could spend less than $200 a week. But as a real person with a social and cultural life that's impossible. Not including breakfast, I probably cook ~10 meals a week, and eat out 4-5 times. That's like twice for lunch and twice for dinner. I go out maybe two times a week, which is 1-2 lyft/ubers, two-ish bar tabs, maybe a cover. I grocery shop about once a week. My spouse has similar habits. We don't really go to movies but we sometimes go to other performances when a friend is involved or something we really want to see is in town, but this isn't weekly.

we are conservative spenders compared to our friends and go out/eat out less. we don't order delivery, we actually cook. we drink relatively cheap wine (less than $8 bottles) and my bourbon is middle of the road.

who are these people our age that spend so little money living normal lives?

fyi I don't live in new york although I used to. in new york going out is even pricier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”