1 year out 3.2 GPA from T20. Strong softs - shot at biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1 year out 3.2 GPA from T20. Strong softs - shot at biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:17 pm

luckily no debt. been at a small shitlaw firm for close to a year as a law clerk since graduating to build litigation experience. don't want to take offer at this firm b/c i honestly don't want to be associated with it as a young lawyer (firm has serious ethics problems looming).

Softs include $$$ from law school and from other Bar associations. Various fellowships. 2 clinical experiences and close to 1 yr of heavy litigation experience.

i'm pretty sure i have to mass mail via firm website recruiting like everyone else, but would a candidate like me even be considered or will it be a giant waste of time?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: 1 year out 3.2 GPA from T20. Strong softs - shot at biglaw?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Not absolutely out of the realm of possibility but very unlikely. I know of one associate who went to BL out of a small Plaintiff's employment firm. She obviously joined the the employment and labor group. But the attorneys at the BL firm knew her from her plaintiffs work and thought she was good.

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:25 pm

No offense, but your softs aren't really strong. It'll be hard to lateral into biglaw doing litigation unless you practice in some niche-ish area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:29 pm

h2go wrote:No offense, but your softs aren't really strong. It'll be hard to lateral into biglaw doing litigation unless you practice in some niche-ish area.

OP here. no offense taken. i didn't wanna list too many softs b/c it would out myself, but i have MCLE speaker experience and some intern/volunteer work at biglaw firms during school. i might still be overselling my softs though so point taken.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
h2go wrote:No offense, but your softs aren't really strong. It'll be hard to lateral into biglaw doing litigation unless you practice in some niche-ish area.

OP here. no offense taken. i didn't wanna list too many softs b/c it would out myself, but i have MCLE speaker experience and some intern/volunteer work at biglaw firms during school. i might still be overselling my softs though so point taken.

I'm not aware of any "intern/volunteer" work that happens at big firms. Not really sure what that means.

I think your chances are low unless your experience demonstrates skill and promise (e.g., someone at the firm notices the work you are doing or you're winning cases you get to somehow handle). I've never heard someone talk about "soft" factors in big firm hiring.

Firms normally hire out of OCI/summer associates, clerks, and laterals - you have to think about why they'd choose you instead. I don't know what 3.2 is, but I'm guessing it's not top percentile of your class and clerking at a small firm without something else of note isn't anything attractive, so credentials aren't gonna do it. You gotta stand out somehow.

My advice is to target smaller, less competitive places or get a clerkship to see if that will help. But to be honest, I'd be surprised if big firms gave you much of a look.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:49 pm

OP here. I have good graces with my boss and partner at my current firm. Even as a fresh out of law school i got to write class cert motions and msjs on big cases (from plaintiff's pov). I have a pretty good writing sample.

the bigfirm intern thing is volunteer work. some bigfirm was taking on high profile pro bono case and they needed (unpaid) interns to work on it year-round. i was one of the few on it.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I think your best bet would be to use personal contacts at any biglaw firm you may have. Like your intern experience. Barring that I don't think your chances are good at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I have good graces with my boss and partner at my current firm. Even as a fresh out of law school i got to write class cert motions and msjs on big cases (from plaintiff's pov). I have a pretty good writing sample.

the bigfirm intern thing is volunteer work. some bigfirm was taking on high profile pro bono case and they needed (unpaid) interns to work on it year-round. i was one of the few on it.

Gotcha, that sounds a little better. It's definitely see if the partners can do anything for you, trusted personal references go pretty far.

Still probably not a high probability. Maybe aim for non-biglaw and after a few years see if you can move up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:10 pm

OP here. Luckily the guy i interned for during those 1L bigfirm volunteer days is still at the firm. i dont know if he will even remember me but the way i remember it things didn't end well. i think his colleague who was on the case with him just bailed out of the firm and he was left with all the work. i think he had a falling out or something. i remember he ended up hiring new interns the following year without really telling us (the current interns) anything. we only found out because our positions were posted on the CSO pro bono list.

not a good guy to contact perhaps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Luckily the guy i interned for during those 1L bigfirm volunteer days is still at the firm. i dont know if he will even remember me but the way i remember it things didn't end well. i think his colleague who was on the case with him just bailed out of the firm and he was left with all the work. i think he had a falling out or something. i remember he ended up hiring new interns the following year without really telling us (the current interns) anything. we only found out because our positions were posted on the CSO pro bono list.

Wow. Um. OK.

I'm gonna be honest, you should probably focus on getting a job at a firm first before you set your sights on big firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Luckily the guy i interned for during those 1L bigfirm volunteer days is still at the firm. i dont know if he will even remember me but the way i remember it things didn't end well. i think his colleague who was on the case with him just bailed out of the firm and he was left with all the work. i think he had a falling out or something. i remember he ended up hiring new interns the following year without really telling us (the current interns) anything. we only found out because our positions were posted on the CSO pro bono list.

Wow. Um. OK.

I'm gonna be honest, you should probably focus on getting a job at a firm first before you set your sights on big firms.

i already have a job at a firm just not one that i like. also i don't think it's anything personal with that lawyer. i think his colleague ended up quitting to go government. if I remember correctly we might have emailed the lawyer who left the firm not the guy. i dont think he disliked us or anything or otherwise he wouldnt hire from our school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow. Um. OK.

i already have a job at a firm just not one that i like. also i don't think it's anything personal with that lawyer. i think his colleague ended up quitting to go government. if I remember correctly we might have emailed the lawyer who left the firm not the guy. i dont think he disliked us or anything or otherwise he wouldnt hire from our school

You wrote clerk, are you clerking or are you an associate? If you aren't an associate, and will have to put down "law clerk" at a shit law place for what type professionally some so far in an application for big firms, I just don't see any reason they'd look at you. There are a lot of students and recent grads out there, a lot of competition.

To get a meaningful look under the circumstances I think you need an attorney at the firm who really knows you and likes you and wants you there, especially since your credentials are not really consistent with the big firm game.

Focus on getting an associate position in a better practice, get experience and then see is you can be competitive.

Seems, though, since you describe it as clerking and shit law, you're attention is best spent on higher probability endeavors. Big firms are conservative with hiring, you may be just as good as other candidates, but the firms are going to look first to the candidate selection process they have had: OCI, clerks, and laterals from similar firms (and to some degree mid-market firms - which you should focus on as your long shot, and looking to smaller practices for probability).

Return to “Legal Employment�