1L Summer Tips: Top 1/3 at WUSTL

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pro Brono

New

Re: 1L Summer Tips: Top 1/3 at WUSTL

Postby Pro Brono » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:12 pm

From what I've heard (I didn't really know any 1Ls this year), the 1L class this year was pretty uninvolved on the whole. For example, I know that there was weirdly low turnout for events like 1L exam advice panels (with free food), which are usually really helpful and well attended. Might have had something to do with the low write-on participation. There was a write-on info session, journal open houses, etc., so it was definitely advertised.

acr wrote:What happens when some of the people that Law Review selects inevitably transfer out? How do they fill the vacant positions? Like, if I accept a position with a different journal, will Law Review then contact me and give me the option to join if positions subsequently open up? I don't really understand how that would work

No. LR drafts a higher number than other journals in anticipation of a number of those students transferring out. If they leave, their offer isn't given to someone else. They'll draft 45, for example, expecting to end up with something like 37. I don't think they generally take any from transfer write-on, with one exception last year.

Sprout

Silver

Postby Sprout » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:16 pm

acr wrote:What happens when some of the people that Law Review selects inevitably transfer out? How do they fill the vacant positions? Like, if I accept a position with a different journal, will Law Review then contact me and give me the option to join if positions subsequently open up? I don't really understand how that would work

No. LR won't fill "vacant" positions. You'll get one offer only and it's final.
eta: scooped

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Pro Brono wrote:From what I've heard (I didn't really know any 1Ls this year), the 1L class this year was pretty uninvolved on the whole. For example, I know that there was weirdly low turnout for events like 1L exam advice panels (with free food), which are usually really helpful and well attended. Might have had something to do with the low write-on participation. There was a write-on info session, journal open houses, etc., so it was definitely advertised.

I can't speak for anyone else, but there was way too much saturation this year for me. CDO, student organizations, SBA, professors, etc. would send dozens of pointless emails every week that eventually just started going to my spam folder. Maybe this is more of a reflection on myself, but I honestly found it difficult to keep up and even care with how much information was coming at us. Some of the panels and mandatory stuff gained traction and attention, but from talking to my classmates, I feel like a lot of us honestly just ignored what we were sent. For example, there were two "important" elections that were botched this year and we were literally getting updates every hour. I would mainly roll my eyes at most emails and sift through them just trying not to miss anything important, and I feel like that led to me not attending some stuff.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:23 pm

If it makes you feel better, those elections weren't important.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 pm

This, and also even when it was top 10%, that only accounted for about 20-25 (depending on class size) of the ~42-45 people that LR takes every year, so there are/were many more people who write-on. And a handful of the people who graded on will transfer out anyway, so it ends up being mostly people who wrote on.

My class was something like 350 people and top 10%, so there definitely weren't a whole lot of spots left for people writing on. But meh. I'm still bitter years later because I ended up close to the top of my class, yet don't have LR on my resume because I bombed my first semester and couldn't write on. Part of why I'm fairly unsympathetic to someone who decided not to even do it at all. Don't mind me too much. :)

I agree that you should immediately contact the secondary journals and ask if there's an alternative way you can get on. The 1L class is small and had surprisingly low participation in write-on, so journals might be open to this. Can't hurt to ask.

If I remember, the journals, despite being student-run, all have faculty advisers, right? I suppose OP also could try going to the faculty advisers for the secondary journals if she has any connection with them. I remember reading about something happening awhile ago where faculty got involved. Can't recall what, but there was some issue with students and faculty forcing the journals to do stuff.

Somebody seriously failed at their job if the 1Ls didn't realize how important write-on is in the law school experience. I mean sure it's stupid that it matters but I don't regret the work I put into my publication and especially not the one week of write-on which was NOT THAT BAD, GUYS. Did they not have an info meeting? In my year it was essentially mandatory to do write-on and almost nobody didn't write on to one of the four. It's crazy to me that so few people would do it.

Yeah, write-on really wasn't bad. I think people could do it in their sleep and still get onto something.

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:47 pm

acr wrote:
Pro Brono wrote:From what I've heard (I didn't really know any 1Ls this year), the 1L class this year was pretty uninvolved on the whole. For example, I know that there was weirdly low turnout for events like 1L exam advice panels (with free food), which are usually really helpful and well attended. Might have had something to do with the low write-on participation. There was a write-on info session, journal open houses, etc., so it was definitely advertised.

I can't speak for anyone else, but there was way too much saturation this year for me. CDO, student organizations, SBA, professors, etc. would send dozens of pointless emails every week that eventually just started going to my spam folder. Maybe this is more of a reflection on myself, but I honestly found it difficult to keep up and even care with how much information was coming at us. Some of the panels and mandatory stuff gained traction and attention, but from talking to my classmates, I feel like a lot of us honestly just ignored what we were sent. For example, there were two "important" elections that were botched this year and we were literally getting updates every hour. I would mainly roll my eyes at most emails and sift through them just trying not to miss anything important, and I feel like that led to me not attending some stuff.

This happened during my 1L year too. Happens every year I assume. Point is you need to sift through to what's important, like you said. I hope you don't mean you skipped write-on because emails were overwhelming.

Class/profs, important. Exams, important. Publication, if you want it on your resume which you should, important. CSO (is it CDO now?), unless it's about OCI or an info meeting, not really important unless they've magically become useful. Student organizations/elections/SBA, maybe least important of all. You don't have to attend everything but some shit is important and there's usually not that much overlap. Go get free pizza.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:05 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:
acr wrote:

This happened during my 1L year too. Happens every year I assume. Point is you need to sift through to what's important, like you said. I hope you don't mean you skipped write-on because emails were overwhelming.

Class/profs, important. Exams, important. Publication, if you want it on your resume which you should, important. CSO (is it CDO now?), unless it's about OCI or an info meeting, not really important unless they've magically become useful. Student organizations/elections/SBA, maybe least important of all. You don't have to attend everything but some shit is important and there's usually not that much overlap. Go get free pizza.

No, I definitely ended up doing write on. I was just referring to the panels, speakers, events, etc

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Postby imalreadyamember? » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:12 pm

acr wrote:
imalreadyamember? wrote:
acr wrote:

No, I definitely ended up doing write on. I was just referring to the panels, speakers, events, etc

Ah, okay. Phew. Well yeah that stuff is almost all useless, no worries. The exam advice and job advice panels are usually good. Other shit is often stupid and pointless but hey free pizza. No worries if you didn't participate in shit by the end of the year because you'd be pretty nuts to have that stamina.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Lunchtime was doing class reading time. Ain't nobody got time for panels or whatever.

Also yes I was surprised at how many people elected not to do write-on. Lots of people were just like "fuck it" after the last final. I know many who put it off until Tues or Wed and realized it was impossible to finish in 2-3 days. Part of it was probably some people thinking they're super smart and don't need much time (lots of people who put it off had pretty good grades, as far as I'm aware), and part of it was probably a lack of communication about the sheer quantity of materials involved in write-on.

I am one of the laziest people on this planet and I did write-on so yeah no excuse really.

robert88

Bronze

Postby robert88 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:56 pm

[quote="Pro Brono"]From what I've heard (I didn't really know any 1Ls this year), the 1L class this year was pretty uninvolved on the whole. For example, I know that there was weirdly low turnout for events like 1L exam advice panels (with free food), which are usually really helpful and well attended. Might have had something to do with the low write-on participation. There was a write-on info session, journal open houses, etc., so it was definitely advertised.

There was a write-on info session, but I missed it (I don't have anybody else to blame, overwhelmed with other things). I contacted the committee afterwards, and this person told me that session was mandatory, and I am disqualified to do write-on because I did not attend that session.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:57 pm

robert88 wrote:

There was a write-on info session, but I missed it (I don't have anybody else to blame, overwhelmed with other things). I contacted the committee afterwards, and this person told me that session was mandatory, and I am disqualified to do write-on because I did not attend that session.

Yea, I do wish the committee was a bit more flexible, but this is what happens when you give law students even a smidgeon of power, even if relatively meaningless. See generally SBA. And journal leadership (esp LR) tends to be more of the same.

robert88

Bronze

Postby robert88 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:17 pm

sublime wrote:
robert88 wrote:

Yea, I do wish the committee was a bit more flexible, but this is what happens when you give law students even a smidgeon of power, even if relatively meaningless. See generally SBA. And journal leadership (esp LR) tends to be more of the same.

Thanks, sublime. I hope the firms won't be too harsh on me because of my lack of journal experience. :(

Return to “Legal Employment�