Top 15% at MDVP- Good Lit Firms in SF?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 15% at MDVP- Good Lit Firms in SF?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serett

Diamond

Re: Top 15% at MDVP- Good Lit Firms in SF?

Postby Serett » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 15% at MDVP. Unfortunately didn't get into Berkeley law but didn't realize they had so much of a leg up when it comes to getting firm jobs in San Francisco. What firms should I be networking at? I have a few favorites, but I wanted to hear what firms come to mind for other people.

I'd like a firm known for its litigation practice, and somewhere with reputation for cool, kind people. If I'm going to be working 60 hour weeks, I want to at least enjoy the people I work with, and get a beer with them every now and then.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: If I'm going to be working 60 hour weeks,

LOL 60 hours sounds great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Do you have ties to SF/the Bay Area generally? If not, prepare to strike out in SF.

I'm exaggerating slightly, but even people at the top of the class at SLS strike out in SF (though if you're willing to be in SV, you'll have a much easier time and ties won't matter as much/at all).

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Postby ticklemesilly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Serett wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 15% at MDVP. Unfortunately didn't get into Berkeley law but didn't realize they had so much of a leg up when it comes to getting firm jobs in San Francisco. What firms should I be networking at? I have a few favorites, but I wanted to hear what firms come to mind for other people.

I'd like a firm known for its litigation practice, and somewhere with reputation for cool, kind people. If I'm going to be working 60 hour weeks, I want to at least enjoy the people I work with, and get a beer with them every now and then.

Okay Sherlock, you caught me. So, any advice?

Serett

Diamond

Postby Serett » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:30 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:
Serett wrote:

Okay Sherlock, you caught me. So, any advice?

Nah, but if you ever want to live somewhere cold and lakey instead of warm and oceany, hmu.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Postby ticklemesilly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you have ties to SF/the Bay Area generally? If not, prepare to strike out in SF.

I'm exaggerating slightly, but even people at the top of the class at SLS strike out in SF (though if you're willing to be in SV, you'll have a much easier time and ties won't matter as much/at all).

Yes, strong ties. And I'd rather not do SV, although certainly open to it over NY

potted plant

New

Postby potted plant » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Gibson & Latham are the most obvious for this. Both have very strong lit practices in SF with reputations for good culture, good people. Latham attracts slightly more extroverted types so preference between the two will depend on your personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

umichman wrote:

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
umichman wrote:

Whoops -- accidental anon.

Anonymous User wrote:Do you have ties to SF/the Bay Area generally? If not, prepare to strike out in SF.

C'mon, bro.

Legal_Octopus

New

Postby Legal_Octopus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:50 pm

SF is a hard market, and just about everyone should be prepared for the possibility of striking out, but it's not as bad as that. Especially if you're at least open to SV, you have a really good chance of landing something. Here is my perspective.

In my experience the reputed "top" litigation firms in SF are: Latham, Quinn, MoFo, Gibson, Orrick, Kirkland (essentially limited to patent lit though, I believe), and Keker (obviously kind of its own type of firm). Those are the ones that jump out. I'm sure lots of other firms known for other practices have great litigation departments as well though.

As for places with a "reputation for cool, kind people," I'd seriously advise you against putting too much stock in anything you hear on TLS about firm culture. MoFo and Orrick have dope offices. Keker is obviously super prestigious as a brand. Beyond that, in my experience, all those firms have a number of cool, kind people, and I don't think there's a reliable way to judge their culture from without. Apply and make that judgment for yourself during interviews. I would note though that SV offices seem to have a very different vibe from many SF firms I've been to. That makes sense given the semi-suburban setting of most of those officers and the commute.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Postby ticklemesilly » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Great! Thanks for the advice! Love this website.

Emma.

Gold

Postby Emma. » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:34 pm

Top 15% won't fly at KVN, and probably not MTO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Was top 15% and got offers from both KVN and MTO. You need to highlight any past work experience you have, even if it is working at McDonalds or a convenient store. They want people who know what its like to not be in BigLaw. Not people who think 180k a year is normal and that people should be entitled to that just cause they went to law school. And work on your interview skills. If you want a legit lit place, you can't be awkward.

Also, don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I told the firm I ended up at in SF that they were my top choice during the screener interview. It was the second thing I said. I mentioned to other firms that they were at the top of my list and I was excited to interview with them. They want you to be direct and don't want someone afraid to be themselves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Top 10% at a T25 with strong ties to the bay area have a chance in SF/SV?

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was top 15% and got offers from both KVN and MTO. You need to highlight any past work experience you have, even if it is working at McDonalds or a convenient store. They want people who know what its like to not be in BigLaw. Not people who think 180k a year is normal and that people should be entitled to that just cause they went to law school. And work on your interview skills. If you want a legit lit place, you can't be awkward.

Also, don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I told the firm I ended up at in SF that they were my top choice during the screener interview. It was the second thing I said. I mentioned to other firms that they were at the top of my list and I was excited to interview with them. They want you to be direct and don't want someone afraid to be themselves.

Interesting, considering MTO doesn't allow summers to work at the SF office. Also, KVN doesn't generally hire at the schools OP mentioned.

So in all, I call bullshit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:06 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was top 15% and got offers from both KVN and MTO. You need to highlight any past work experience you have, even if it is working at McDonalds or a convenient store. They want people who know what its like to not be in BigLaw. Not people who think 180k a year is normal and that people should be entitled to that just cause they went to law school. And work on your interview skills. If you want a legit lit place, you can't be awkward.

Interesting, considering MTO doesn't allow summers to work at the SF office. Also, KVN doesn't generally hire at the schools OP mentioned.

I heard they take 1 SA from HSYB each, which if true is incredibly inflexible. To each his own, I guess.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Postby SLS_AMG » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:44 pm

This is a straight-up lie.

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

I heard they take 1 SA from HSYB each, which if true is incredibly inflexible. To each his own, I guess.

They don't necessarily take a SA from anywhere. They attend OCI at HYS and sometimes Berkeley, sometimes Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:08 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They don't necessarily take a SA from anywhere. They attend OCI at HYS and sometimes Berkeley, sometimes Chicago.

This is wrong. KVN always does OCI at Berkeley, as well as HYS. KVN occasionally does OCI at Chicago, Michigan, and CLS.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Postby L’Étranger » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Every firm will have a mix of cool and not cool people. Generally, lit is stressful everywhere.

Also, while D is a great school, and top 15% is awesome, you'll probably still have to hustle in SF, so don't expect to be super choosey about where you land.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Postby L’Étranger » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is wrong. KVN always does OCI at Berkeley, as well as HYS. KVN occasionally does OCI at Chicago, Michigan, and CLS.

Unless they changed something up, yeah, they'd do HYS + B annually.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Why do people make up random school sub-categories?

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

"We annually conduct fall recruiting interviews at Harvard, Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Chicago, and Yale law schools."

Although it doesn't matter - point stands, dude was full of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:11 pm

From the stats I got from a KVN partner, they've hired a summer from Mich twice in the last three years.

Return to “Legal Employment?