Applying to V10 Firms as a 3L (do I have a shot?)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to V10 Firms as a 3L (do I have a shot?)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:15 pm

I will probably apply to a few V10 law firms that specialize in corporate work at the end of this summer and would like to hear what people think of my chances.

I go to a law school that use to be at the bottom of Tier 1 (it was when I was accepted), but recently slipped to Tier 2.
None of the V10 firms I am interested in will participate in our 3L OCI, so this will be direct applications to legal recruiters.
I am currently a summer associate at a NYC based V30 (bottom of the V30).
I was ranked towards the bottom 10% of my 1L class.
I have seven years of strong work history
I have a masters degree

The reasons why I think I might have a chance now:

I received straight A's as a 2L and took all respectable/large classes - I should safely be in the top 5% once 2L rankings come out
I received the highest grade in four 2L classes (two tax classes, corporations, and secured transactions)
I am now a senior editorial board member of the Law Review

Diamond

Re: Applying to V10 Firms as a 3L (do I have a shot?)

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Is there a single decent reason why you want to do this besides severe autism?

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Prestige whoring is a decent reason!

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will probably apply to a few V10 law firms that specialize in corporate work at the end of this summer and would like to hear what people think of my chances.

I go to a law school that use to be at the bottom of Tier 1 (it was when I was accepted), but recently slipped to Tier 2.
None of the V10 firms I am interested in will participate in our 3L OCI, so this will be direct applications to legal recruiters.
I am currently a summer associate at a NYC based V30 (bottom of the V30).
I was ranked towards the bottom 10% of my 1L class.
I have seven years of strong work history
I have a masters degree

The reasons why I think I might have a chance now:

I received straight A's as a 2L and took all respectable/large classes - I should safely be in the top 5% once 2L rankings come out
I received the highest grade in four 2L classes (two tax classes, corporations, and secured transactions)
I am now a senior editorial board member of the Law Review

How the hell did you snag a biglaw SA with bottom 10% grades from a TT? This seems like an unbelievably good outcome (did you know someone at the firm?). You should feel incredibly lucky and thankful to be in your position.

That having been said, I really doubt you'd be competitive for a V10 as a 3L. While your 2L performance is impressive (congrats), it still only brings you up to somewhere around median. Honestly, snagging a v30 from median at a TT is STILL incredibly unlikely. Also, your 2L performance will be less impressive to firms, as many of the top students in your 1L class likely transferred out and the rest probably started coasting to an extent, so there was substantially less competition.

You have little to lose by shooting out apps though. But don't be surprised if you don't get any nibbles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:22 pm

I think they meant they were in the top 10 percent of the class, but towards the bottom (as in, closer to 10% than 5%).

Regardless, I'd want to know what the reason is for wanting to make the change. Is there a specific reason you don't want to stay at your V30? Are you worried you won't receive an offer, or unhappy otherwise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:03 pm

I don't know about you but I know a night student in NY with no SA called up cravath as a 4L and got a post grad offer... He was also the top gpa in the class and good work experience and a combat vet though...

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:15 pm

SBL wrote:Is there a single decent reason why you want to do this besides severe autism?

Man, sometimes I think you're a bit over the top with these autism comments, but holy hell it is appropriate here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Yeah, you have a chance, if you actually want to do it. Just send resume, transcript and cover letter to the entry level hiring email address. Let me them know you're in NY already. There's way more unlikely hiring stories out there.

Diamond

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:29 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
SBL wrote:Is there a single decent reason why you want to do this besides severe autism?

Man, sometimes I think you're a bit over the top with these autism comments, but holy hell it is appropriate here.

These people do not even stop to consider if the rankings are arbitrary - they just fall right in line. It's just baffling to me.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 pm

SBL wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

These people do not even stop to consider if the rankings are arbitrary - they just fall right in line. It's just baffling to me.

Had a dude that got an offer to summer at a V10 be completely baffled when I told him I wouldn't want to work for his firm and actually had my lowly V40 firm ranked at the top of my bidlist. He asked me multiple times whether I'd take an offer from his firm, and I said no. He legitimately thought I was just saying that because I wasn't actually good enough or smart enough to even get an offer to begin with. It's crazy how people see a ranking using a methodology I guarantee they don't understand and treat it like gospel.

Diamond

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:44 pm

"I want to do litigation in Omaha is it ok if my firm isn't V5?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:18 am

Correct, I was ranked in the top 10%, but right around top 9-10%.

I'm sure I have touch of autism. Posting on here probably confirms that.

I am not looking for prestige. I am looking to work for a firm that has the best perks and best exist options. I didn't get many options out of OCI (only like 10 market matching firms even asked for resumes), so have a little empathy that I have a desire to actually maybe choose what firms I would like to work for.

anon3030

New

Postby anon3030 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:23 am

How the hell did you snag a biglaw SA with bottom 10% grades from a TT? This seems like an unbelievably good outcome (did you know someone at the firm?). You should feel incredibly lucky and thankful to be in your position.

That having been said, I really doubt you'd be competitive for a V10 as a 3L. While your 2L performance is impressive (congrats), it still only brings you up to somewhere around median. Honestly, snagging a v30 from median at a TT is STILL incredibly unlikely. Also, your 2L performance will be less impressive to firms, as many of the top students in your 1L class likely transferred out and the rest probably started coasting to an extent, so there was substantially less competition.

You have little to lose by shooting out apps though. But don't be surprised if you don't get any nibbles.[/quote]

I didn't know anyone. I have no lawyers in the family (I was in top 10% of grades - around top 9-10%). But good point about having less competition as a 2L. We actually didn't have too many people transfer out, but many people were checked out. I was thinking that's the whole point of people who change firms as a 3L though, firms looking for people who don't check out due to the mild autism they might have.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:26 am

The only reason to do this is if your current firm doesn't go NY TO 180.

Obama2016

New

Postby Obama2016 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Correct, I was ranked in the top 10%, but right around top 9-10%.

I'm sure I have touch of autism. Posting on here probably confirms that.

I am not looking for prestige. I am looking to work for a firm that has the best perks and best exist options. I didn't get many options out of OCI (only like 10 market matching firms even asked for resumes), so have a little empathy that I have a desire to actually maybe choose what firms I would like to work for.

OP feel free to PM me. I did this same exact thing last year in same boat as you (3L, non-T14, Top 5-10% grades, secondary market summer).

Return to “Legal Employment�