Giving up a mid size firm associate job for unpaid fed judicial internship for district court judge Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
poweradezero

New

Giving up a mid size firm associate job for unpaid fed judicial internship for district court judge

Post by poweradezero » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:37 am

Assuming money is not an issue, would I be stupid to give up a mid size firm associate position to intern for a district court judge. Firm has about 50 attorneys. Judge specifically looking for law graduates for this unpaid position. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Again money is not an issue, just experience and resume filler purpose.

lurklaw

Silver

Re: Giving up a mid size firm associate job for unpaid fed judicial internship for district court judge

Post by lurklaw » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:10 am

Assuming that you're a litigation associate, it would be stupid to give up your firm job to intern for a judge, particularly if your objective is to gain as much experience as possible.

ronanOgara

Gold

Re: Giving up a mid size firm associate job for unpaid fed judicial internship for district court judge

Post by ronanOgara » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:26 am

For God's sake what is wrong with you?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:34 am

poweradezero wrote:Assuming money is not an issue, would I be stupid to give up a mid size firm associate position to intern for a district court judge. Firm has about 50 attorneys. Judge specifically looking for law graduates for this unpaid position. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Again money is not an issue, just experience and resume filler purpose.
Dude you are stupid for even considering this. First off, like a week ago you said in another thread that you were currently an ADA in a flyover state; so how you became an associate in a midsize firm so quickly is beyond me. Secondly, there's a reason the internship is unpaid--because it's meant for unemployed and struggling law grads trying to get their foot in the door. Not only would you be an idiot for leaving your job for that, but you'd be the biggest dick ever to want to take that from someone who needs it.

I'm reporting this thread. You are extremely dense and/or are trolling. You need some serious help outside of TLS if you honestly are having these career questions.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 am

ronanOgara wrote: Dude you are stupid for even considering this. First off, like a week ago you said in another thread that you were currently an ADA in a flyover state; so how you became an associate in a midsize firm so quickly is beyond me. Secondly, there's a reason the internship is unpaid--because it's meant for unemployed and struggling law grads trying to get their foot in the door. Not only would you be an idiot for leaving your job for that, but you'd be the biggest dick ever to want to take that from someone who needs it.

I'm reporting this thread. You are extremely dense and/or are trolling. You need some serious help outside of TLS if you honestly are having these career questions.
Hey just think, this guy has the power of the state to lock people up. Gives you faith in the system

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:43 am

Nebby wrote:
ronanOgara wrote: Dude you are stupid for even considering this. First off, like a week ago you said in another thread that you were currently an ADA in a flyover state; so how you became an associate in a midsize firm so quickly is beyond me. Secondly, there's a reason the internship is unpaid--because it's meant for unemployed and struggling law grads trying to get their foot in the door. Not only would you be an idiot for leaving your job for that, but you'd be the biggest dick ever to want to take that from someone who needs it.

Hey just think, this guy has the power of the state to lock people up. Gives you faith in the system
I wonder if he considers the prestige of the prisons before recommending one...

poweradezero

New

Post by poweradezero » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 am

What if im not currently getting any meaningful litigation experience, barely go to court, just doc review etc. Cant u also turn that internship into possible clerkship after months of interning for the judge?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:38 am

1) no, a law grad should not give up a paying job to intern for a judge, because that would be weird, and no, it probably won't turn into a clerkship.

2) ronan is right that you are apparently also an ADA in a flyover state, so you can't actually be facing all these dilemmas. Stop posing ridiculously hypothetical questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment”