Reading list for patent lit Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reading list for patent lit

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Question for patent litigators:

If you had four months to give yourself a crash course in patent litigation, what would you read?

Assume that you had one survey and one advanced IP course in law school. Every category of content is fair game: cases, treatises, journal articles, local rules, science textbooks, etc.

Thanks!

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Reading list for patent lit

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:34 pm

The red patent lit treatise book by the guy from ropes n gray

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:26 am

Autism for Dummies

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question for patent litigators:

If you had four months to give yourself a crash course in patent litigation, what would you read?

Assume that you had one survey and one advanced IP course in law school. Every category of content is fair game: cases, treatises, journal articles, local rules, science textbooks, etc.

Thanks!
Are you asking because you're graduating law school and you're going to start as an associate in the Fall at a firm that does patent litigation? If so, tcr is to enjoy four months of your life not thinking about patent litigation. You'll have plenty of time to figure it out in practice. If, say, you finish the bar exam in late July, and if you start as an associate in mid-October, every hour you spend thinking about law--patent or otherwise--between late July and mid-October is a wasted opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks, I'll check out the Ropes treatise. Other thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks, I'll check out the Ropes treatise. Other thoughts?
Hentai for the Advanced Gourmet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:52 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for patent litigators:

Thanks!
Are you asking because you're graduating law school and you're going to start as an associate in the Fall at a firm that does patent litigation? If so, tcr is to enjoy four months of your life not thinking about patent litigation. You'll have plenty of time to figure it out in practice. If, say, you finish the bar exam in late July, and if you start as an associate in mid-October, every hour you spend thinking about law--patent or otherwise--between late July and mid-October is a wasted opportunity.
Not OP, but also interested. I'm a rising 2L doing a judicial internship and was just handed a huge patent case. Problem is I have no idea about patent law.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 am

Go to your law school and check out a casebook on patent law/ip law. I'm sure they have them on reserve for students.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Patent lit is an objectively terrible area of law to go into if you don't have a tech background. If you do have a tech background, it might be okay, but there are probably better things you could shoot for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:20 pm

ExBiglawAssociate wrote:Patent lit is an objectively terrible area of law to go into if you don't have a tech background. If you do have a tech background, it might be okay, but there are probably better things you could shoot for.

OK, I'll bite: what area of law is "better" for people with a tech background than patent lit? Besides maybe patent prosecution.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:24 pm

orangered wrote:
ExBiglawAssociate wrote:Patent lit is an objectively terrible area of law to go into if you don't have a tech background. If you do have a tech background, it might be okay, but there are probably better things you could shoot for.

OK, I'll bite: what area of law is "better" for people with a tech background than patent lit? Besides maybe patent prosecution.
Tech trans. IPRs (if you distinguish this from traditional d. ct. litigation, which I do). Patent pros, licensing, monetizing, etc.

The problem with most biglaw patent lit departments is that they only have expertise in d. ct. lit, which has slowed down significantly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”