Already hating NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Already hating NYC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2016 11:53 am

I've lived in LA for ten years, SF for five, Seattle for 1, I've probably spent a combined six months in various Japanese cities, a month in Austin, three years in Atlanta and visited, well, just about every European capital and largest city between Reykjavik and Prague.

There is no doubt in my mind that New York is the most absurdly dirty, unhygenic cesspool I've ever been in. It literally boggles the mind and 'how clean do you think NYC is?' has become my short-form for asking people from New York if they've ever seen, well, any other culture or life experience. I don't know if there's something in the water that makes people forget to take showers, wear too many layers on humid days and forget how to throw trash away but if New York was dropped in the middle of Japan that entire country would immediately and without hesitation commit mass suicide out of sheer shame. Why America hasn't done the same is a mystery but, then again, we're also the country that doesn't believe in global warming so it seems kind of fitting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've lived in LA for ten years, SF for five, Seattle for 1, I've probably spent a combined six months in various Japanese cities, a month in Austin, three years in Atlanta and visited, well, just about every European capital and largest city between Reykjavik and Prague.

There is no doubt in my mind that New York is the most absurdly dirty, unhygenic cesspool I've ever been in. It literally boggles the mind and 'how clean do you think NYC is?' has become my short-form for asking people from New York if they've ever seen, well, any other culture or life experience. I don't know if there's something in the water that makes people forget to take showers, wear too many layers on humid days and forget how to throw trash away but if New York was dropped in the middle of Japan that entire country would immediately and without hesitation commit mass suicide out of sheer shame. Why America hasn't done the same is a mystery but, then again, we're also the country that doesn't believe in global warming so it seems kind of fitting.
Of the cities you lived in, which is your favorite? I'm considering making the move to SF, LA or Seattle from NYC.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon May 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've lived in LA for ten years, SF for five, Seattle for 1, I've probably spent a combined six months in various Japanese cities, a month in Austin, three years in Atlanta and visited, well, just about every European capital and largest city between Reykjavik and Prague.

lol what a fucking douche

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:16 pm

the combination of humidity and griminess in New York is pretty gnarly. I still love it there tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Of the cities you lived in, which is your favorite? I'm considering making the move to SF, LA or Seattle from NYC.
That's hard to answer because, for example, I spent a year in Seattle as part of a quasi-religious live-in program for homeless and at-risk populations. I helped paroles and the chronically homeless get back on their feet by living with them, leading meetings and stuff. It was a great time but it's not comparable to being in law school because, well, it's law school. Law school sucked, definitely, but it's also just two completely different lived experiences and geography almost becomes pure coincidence at that point--if that makes any sense.

If I could pick I think I would pick certain places in LA over SF. LA is just so big you'll find 'your city' in the LA sprawl and it'll be great. Maybe you love Newport, all the way down to the freeway dumping you off into the middle of the boardwalk. Maybe Venice does it for you. Think how weird you'll look wearing a suit! Maybe San Pedro and the dock lights at night. Maybe you can dig commuting from Pasadena and smelling the orange groves... They're all different cities that just so happen to be under that LA umbrella but until you find it, well, who knows.

I really liked Seattle though. But I wonder how much is/was nostalgia. I guess that would be my pick but, really, who knows if I had to work a more conventional job there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 pm

San Pedro tho?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2016 1:07 pm

SBL wrote:San Pedro tho?
My .10 is it's going to be the next hipster epicenter in LA. It's the right amount of seedy, quirky and with all the money spilling down the hills from Palos Verdes it's only a matter of time. All those old warehouses are just begging from some developer to come along, build some units and market them as 'historic lofts.'

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:San Pedro tho?
My .10 is it's going to be the next hipster epicenter in LA. It's the right amount of seedy, quirky and with all the money spilling down the hills from Palos Verdes it's only a matter of time. All those old warehouses are just begging from some developer to come along, build some units and market them as 'historic lofts.'
I don't know man Echo Park and Silverlake gentrified because they're really close to a lot of cool shit San Pedro is kind of a dump and it's far from everything

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Mon May 30, 2016 4:06 pm

NYC seems like a great place for trust fund kids who don't have to work - yes, it's the filthiest city in the US, but there's lots to do.

If you have to work for a living it's a terrible place to live - all your money goes to rent, you work longer hours than people in other markets, everyone is stressed out and miserable from working long hours, people are on average objectively more miserable than people living in other places, and you have no energy to do anything in your limited free time since you work so much.

So yeah, not a great place to live and work. Probably a good place to live if you're trust funded though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Totally with you except for SF, which is the only place I've ever seen a grown woman take a shit on the sidewalk in broad daylight.

However if Austin or Atlanta were actual cities instead of a series of strip malls, then this would be a different conversation.

NYC in the summer is a feast for the senses, no doubt about it.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon May 30, 2016 5:10 pm

my german au pair says initially she hoped to end up with a family in NYC but now after having visited a few times hopes to just never go back.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:39 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Totally with you except for SF, which is the only place I've ever seen a grown woman take a shit on the sidewalk in broad daylight.

However if Austin or Atlanta were actual cities instead of a series of strip malls, then this would be a different conversation.

NYC in the summer is a feast for the senses, no doubt about it.
SF definitely has a homeless problem and Chinatown smells like someone drank nothing but clam juice for a week and then took a huge piss all over every sidewalk, but other than the Market Street Corridor it's a pretty dang clean city given its population density.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:54 pm

There's also a lot to do in smaller cities that don't smell like piss all the time.

OP, if NYC isn't for you, find your way out as soon as you can without jeopardizing your career prospects.

After almost a decade in the big city where I went to college and law school, I was ready to GTFO. Almost a year away and I don't regret nor do I miss it. You will be okay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Mon May 30, 2016 7:15 pm

San Francisco is way nastier than New York. I've never stepped over used heroin needles in NYC or seen people taking dumps in public or pissing on public transportation in NYC. BART escalators have literally been shut down because people took dumps on them and gummed up the machine. I'll take summer trash heaps over public turds any day of the week.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon May 30, 2016 7:36 pm

A few years ago I saw the greatest NYC thing ever. I go up the stairs from the subway on the wrong side of the street and am all pissed at myself (how'd I get that turned around!) until i walk across the street and see a dude pissing through the green fencing onto all the people walking up the stairs. At first I thought he was just pissing into the corner and there was a little splash back action but a lot of people were getting wet and he seemed to be smiling. Also, this took place at around 1pm in broad daylight.

NYC could really use trash cans. I swear if they just had trash cans with lids instead of everyone just piling bags of garbage up during the summer the whole place would smell way better.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

San Francisco is way nastier than New York. I've never stepped over used heroin needles in NYC or seen people taking dumps in public or pissing on public transportation in NYC. BART escalators have literally been shut down because people took dumps on them and gummed up the machine. I'll take summer trash heaps over public turds any day of the week.
I saw a dude take a dump ON public transport in NYC. Granted he kept his pants on. I don't doubt that SF is pretty rowdy though.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon May 30, 2016 8:18 pm

The vast majority of Manhattan doesn't have mountains of trash. Why do people keep saying the opposite

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Kratos wrote:NYC is awesome

arisboddle

New

Post by arisboddle » Mon May 30, 2016 9:30 pm

NYC is a shamefully dirty/disgusting city. It smells like piss is overflowing with the detritus of human society, many of whom greatly enjoy public transportation, it seems.

And the public transportation! It's atrocious. It's based on technology that's literally a hundred years old. It breaks down all the time and is painfully slow. A hundred years ago the cure for sepsis was just hacking off the offending limb and hoping for the best. Today, we actually know what bacteria is and, at the very least, know to wash our hands. That's how old subway signal technology is. Every day that it works is frankly amazing. Do you have any idea how often a "sick passenger" delays like 500-600 people as they go to work?

Shinjuku station in Tokyo is one of the largest subway stations in the world. Many times larger than Grand Central and Times Square put together. It is so much better organized, cleaner, more orderly than any station in the NYC that the MTA should feel deeply ashamed.

Whoever started the whole "NYC is awesome" meme was a fucking lunatic. It's only awesome for two sets of people: the very wealthy and the 21-26 crowd.

It's difficult to raise a plant here, let along a child.

Source: I've seen enough aggressive rats and homeless people and smelled enough vomit and piss to last a life time.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:38 pm

I hated NYC for about the first year here. The subway was the hardest thing to adapt to (especially in summer) for someone used to being able to drive everywhere. After about a year it started growing on me. But I would recommend having as short a commute as possible. Also, settling down is not somthing you can really do in the city, unless you have a lot of $.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Mon May 30, 2016 9:40 pm

To be fair, there are some parts of NYC that are nice, clean, and aren't filled to the brim with tourists, commuters and homeless people. Tribeca comes to mind, but is is expen$$$ive, even by Manhattan standards.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Pomeranian wrote:To be fair, there are some parts of NYC that are nice, clean, and aren't filled to the brim with tourists, commuters and homeless people. Tribeca comes to mind, but is is expen$$$ive, even by Manhattan standards.
UES, UWS, Morningside, Washington Heights, and Harlem

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Mon May 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Astoria doesn't seem so bad. It's less crowded I think.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Mon May 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaysta

Bronze

Post by kaysta » Mon May 30, 2016 11:29 pm

chimp wrote:pussy
This is the correct answer

It's true that trust fund kids pouring in from CT and DE are a real problem (rising rent for the last decade, COL, general dickish tendencies). Along with the new biking fad, deport those fuckers back to Portland
It takes some wit to figure out where and how to live if you're not being bankrolled but it is not impossible. COL/salary gap is real, but regarding OP, when people start complaining about NYC, it's usually because they're feeling left out. Find something to join, or get used to being alone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”