Dealing with OCI while at a biglaw firm as a 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dealing with OCI while at a biglaw firm as a 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 am

How should a 1L SA approach OCI? Bids will open up soon, and I'm not entirely sure if I am getting an offer to return next summer, I don't know how/when an offer usually comes. This is new to me.

So my question is: Should I still bid on other big law firms in the area? The answer is probably yes, but won't other firms see that I'm currently with a big law firm, and question why I am seeking employment elsewhere? Will they think I'm unloyal or got no-offered?

This may be silly, I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and then end up without a SA next summer.

Thanks in advance.

cookiejar1

Silver

Re: Dealing with OCI while at a biglaw firm as a 1L

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 am

I can't speak to extremely small markets but if you're in a large market then interviewing with other firms is very normal. You don't really owe any loyalty to your firm (and firms owe no loyalty to you) so don't feel bad about interviewing with your firm's peers. Other firms won't view this is a negative.

In terms of how you frame why you're looking at other firms (or how to answer the question about why not 1L firm) talk about the depth of a particular practice area of the firm you're interviewing with compared to your 1L firm. Or just vaguely state the importance of culture and fit. It will barely matter.

landshoes

Silver

Re: Dealing with OCI while at a biglaw firm as a 1L

Post by landshoes » Sat May 28, 2016 11:37 am

1L, but tips I've gotten from mock interviews with biglaw associates:

Come up with an objective, positive, firm reason why you expect to prefer the new firm. Obvious ones include location, firm composition, and practice area. Be confident and sound like you have settled preferences. Avoid saying you'd "like to try [x] out" or "try something else." Some interviewers think it makes you look flaky.

You get points for showing that you did a little bit of research on their firm; for mentioning a credible reason why you'd be a good fit at the new firm; and for being tactful about your old firm.

"I enjoyed the summer at Mostly Litigation Firm. My experience there cemented my desire to do transactional law, and I'd like to do that at a firm where that is a major proportion of the firm's business. Given my background in finance, an international firm that handles M&As on a regular basis would be a great fit."

"Working at NYC & BigLaw showed me that I was right about working in litigation, and I hope to continue in litigation. However, I would strongly prefer to live in Chicago, where grew up, so I'm looking for a firm with a strong litigation department that is headquartered Chicago."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”