I have no work as an SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: I have no work as an SA

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:Sounds like you have a legitimate grievance, and that you are doing all you can on your own to fix the problem. This is on the firm. I'd have a sit down with the recruiting coordinator, maybe leave out the piece that your office mate is getting lots of work, but just tell her you need more stuff to do.
Wait a couple more days before doing this. And if/when you need to do this, don't approach it as a formal "sit down."

This is a good situation for you. If you start treating it like "a legitimate grievance," folks will think you're weird. Just chill.
How is this a good situation? OP is bored to tears, not learning, and not making connections by working with others. If OP is in a big class, yeah, she can probably cruise to an offer but there's more to a summer than getting an offer. I think you're weird for saying this is a good situation.
Dude, it's been a few days. It's often difficult to find work to give to summers. If the OP was in a summer program that was only two weeks long, then the current situation might be cause for concern. But if it's a typical 10-week program, then OP can chill for a couple more days. Jesus.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Tue May 31, 2016 4:13 pm

OP are you a guy or a girl?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:12 pm

rpupkin wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:Sounds like you have a legitimate grievance, and that you are doing all you can on your own to fix the problem. This is on the firm. I'd have a sit down with the recruiting coordinator, maybe leave out the piece that your office mate is getting lots of work, but just tell her you need more stuff to do.
Wait a couple more days before doing this. And if/when you need to do this, don't approach it as a formal "sit down."

This is a good situation for you. If you start treating it like "a legitimate grievance," folks will think you're weird. Just chill.
How is this a good situation? OP is bored to tears, not learning, and not making connections by working with others. If OP is in a big class, yeah, she can probably cruise to an offer but there's more to a summer than getting an offer. I think you're weird for saying this is a good situation.
Dude, it's been a few days. It's often difficult to find work to give to summers. If the OP was in a summer program that was only two weeks long, then the current situation might be cause for concern. But if it's a typical 10-week program, then OP can chill for a couple more days. Jesus.
Adderall and autism are a dangerous combination, it would seem. Summers being slow for the first week, even the first two weeks, is as common as - nay, more common than - prom dresses ending up covered in nuclear-waste-green Boone's Farm vomit, which is to say, very common. Mellow out and keep getting paid $3,000 or so a week to surf the internet, but take steps socially as discussed infra.

Jordan Catalano

New

Post by Jordan Catalano » Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 pm

This entire thread is a really good example of the sexist bro-attitude on TLS and a great example of why we need more women in the legal field. You guys all suck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 31, 2016 6:42 pm

They won't learn much regardless. Here is how a prestigious summer assignment comes to be:

Secretary: The expert witness you hired for the deposition billed us for a Swedish massage. He said he strained his neck on the flight in.
Partner: Happy ending?
Secretary: For his wife as well.
Partner: Hmm. Can you bill an expert witness' wife's happy ending to a client?
Assignment Coordinator: I'll have 6 summers on it in the hour!
Partner: God speed. Also, have one of them look into whether we can bill a client for the legal research into whether we can bill a client for an expert witness' wife's happy ending.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Jordan Catalano wrote:This entire thread is a really good example of the sexist bro-attitude on TLS and a great example of why we need more women in the legal field. You guys all suck.
I don't necessarily disagree but the facts are the facts. It does sound a bit like OP's officemate got a hot chick boost, and the best way for OP to protect his/her own summer is to make a really concerted effort to be social with people in the office. Going to HR and demanding that those sexist pigs stop giving choice assignments to the callipygous superfox would be, at best, counterproductive.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:53 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. No work today so far, would be my second day in a row without any hours logged. Went around begging for work on Friday and got nothing, don't want to do it again today since I feel like that's annoying... So just twiddling my thumbs atm.

Officemate is a babe, of the born a babe die a babe kind. I unfortunately will never be a babe of that level, but I think I look okay in the right light.
So it looks like we found the problem.
I can't tell if you guys are serious about firms favoring babes. Please advise.

You tell me whose office is going to get the most drop-bys.
I'd definitely be dropping by Melissa McCarthy's office. She's hilarious and seems like a good time.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 pm

^^^^^outed as office chubby chaser

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:02 pm

SBL wrote:^^^^^outed as office chubby chaser
Fuck the petite filet. I want the porterhouse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue May 31, 2016 10:10 pm

SBL wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Yeah this is all correct.

OP, partners are just old versions of mouth-breathing law school males. They are giving your officemate work because they want an excuse to talk to her and oogle her bobos. That isn't changing and nailing your 95 Theses of Needing More Memo Projects to the HR manager's office door isn't going to be a step in the right direction.
This was the best laugh I've had in a while - tyft.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 am

OP is back. OP is an (apparently dogfaced) girl. Last week was busy for me and slow for babe officemate. This week we've switched back and I've logged zero hours so far, but I asked around and am attending depo later.

Seems like babe officemate has a partner who keeps giving her work that she's always busy with, while everyone else who gives us regular work seems to do it on a rotating schedule. I stopped by partners office to let him know im free, I figure that's the best I can do about that situation. I've been getting work from a variety of people on the other hand since I've been actively looking, so I'm winning out of breadth but loosing out on depth.

Firm doesn't really seem to be the kind with big lunch groups and the likes, but I make rounds every couple of days to meet new people and have a chat. They put us on a very slow litigation floor with a lot of administrative stuff so that's kind of a bummer because I have to Awkwardly hang out on another floor to pick up on anything social going on.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 am

It's not really in her interest as a summer to get bogged down with work from just one partner, unless his name is on the door or he's in charge of the hiring committee. Even then I'd personally rather fly under the radar slightly more than that. I wouldn't worry too much.

Re social stuff, I'd talk to a current first year about it. Are you inviting people to lunch? Ask junior associates for tips on who would be good to ask for work, who would be good to ask to lunch, etc etc. This is both for social reasons and for work-generating reasons. Senior associates may be good resources if they're gunning for partner because they're both more likely to figure out something for you to do than many partners and more likely to spend some time with you for those partnership brownie points.

Is your firm not hosting events and things for summers?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP is back. OP is an (apparently dogfaced) girl. Last week was busy for me and slow for babe officemate. This week we've switched back and I've logged zero hours so far, but I asked around and am attending depo later.

Seems like babe officemate has a partner who keeps giving her work that she's always busy with, while everyone else who gives us regular work seems to do it on a rotating schedule. I stopped by partners office to let him know im free, I figure that's the best I can do about that situation. I've been getting work from a variety of people on the other hand since I've been actively looking, so I'm winning out of breadth but loosing out on depth.

Firm doesn't really seem to be the kind with big lunch groups and the likes, but I make rounds every couple of days to meet new people and have a chat. They put us on a very slow litigation floor with a lot of administrative stuff so that's kind of a bummer because I have to Awkwardly hang out on another floor to pick up on anything social going on.
This is a much less worrisome situation than initially framed. Basically it sounds like, for whatever reason, one partner has taken a special shine to the other summer, but you're getting a steady flow from all directions. There is nothing to worry about.

On the social front, I think it's a little harder for women unfortunately, because law offices tend to skew male, and a lot of guys aren't going to be comfortable asking a female summer to grab a beer with them after work. I will routinely ask our male summers to grab a beer or lunch with me, but I only socialize with our female summers in group settings or at firm events because I don't want to create any appearance of impropriety or make them feel like I'm hitting on them. It's kind of unfair, but I blame the legions of sexually harassing goober males that came to the legal profession before me. I would see if there's a group of women among the associates at your office that hang out together and try to get an in with them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”