Lateral interviews - phone screener Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral interviews - phone screener

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Can someone please provide insight about what to expect for a phone screener for a lateral interview? How long do they usually last, what questions generally are asked? Assume corporate junior looking to lateral to another market, not to the exact same corporate practice area (but i'm still a baby lawyer, so malleable). Thanks in advance.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Lateral interviews - phone screener

Post by jarofsoup » Thu May 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Expect to answer these questions:

-Why are you leaving your firm (just use the new location as an excuse safest answer/also that you want to change your practice area)
-Explain your current practice
-If you are below a year at your current firm you should expect questions that try to fish out whether you are getting pushed out.

I cannot emphasize this enough...it is important to appear to try to make a personal connection during these interviews. Come off as relaxed, personable, and someone who is likeable. Especially, b/c you are junior.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral interviews - phone screener

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 19, 2016 9:51 pm

OP here. Can I PM you about a few specific questions?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”