1L at GULC, no summer gig yet... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nachoo2019

Silver

Re: 1L at GULC, no summer gig yet...

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm anon above that was my bad. Posting from my phone and didn't realize

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Arad wrote:As for the "STEM graduate credits:" if you're cousin dropped out of a PhD program, that will reflect poorly on him and probably be a huge-red flag if his 1L grades weren't top notch.
I just have to note for future TLSers searching this topic that this is not true. Tons of law students are grad school "dropouts". It's common to have a false start or two in life and employers understand that. You just need a good narrative for why not the other thing (without bashing it) and why law instead.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:17 pm

i explain away my stem background in non-IP interviews that i chose not to pursue higher ed because a phd program is (1) long af and (2) as long as i'm making a fresh start, i didn't want to pigeonhole myself into IP.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue May 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Manali wrote:
Arad wrote:What undergraduate degree does your cousin have?

1L IP Prosecution positions want Engineering Undergrads or Masters/PhD for Non-Engineering (Bio/Chem/etc). Prosecution positions tend to emphasize pre-law school grades more than 1L grades.

1L IP Litigation positions are extremely rare, even for students in the Top 10%. Only a number of firms hire 1Ls for IP Lit positions and they are normally reserved for truly exceptional candidates.

As for the "STEM graduate credits:" if you're cousin dropped out of a PhD program, that will reflect poorly on him and probably be a huge-red flag if his 1L grades weren't top notch.
I don't want to out him. It's one of chemistry, biology, biochemistry, or microbiology.

I have no idea of the circumstances of why he had to leave his STEM graduate program.
Op you seem like, and seem to have the reputation here, of a huge weirdo. So idk if this is flame or not, but your friend has no chance at a patent pros job. And his credentials don't really give him a meaningful boost at patent lit over a bullshit English/polisci/basketweaving major

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Manali wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Manali wrote:
Serett wrote:
Manali wrote:I have no idea of the circumstances of why he had to leave his STEM graduate program.
:lol:
He might have been academically dismissed for poor grades or voluntarily left. I really have no idea.

So just to be clear he didn't have any lipstick incidents?
Why are you anon?
Savage.

But really, RA gigs are a good last resort, and will not be a negative impact later. I know of professors last year who were still posting on symplicity in early June. Make sure he checks there often for any and everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arad

Bronze

Post by Arad » Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Arad wrote:As for the "STEM graduate credits:" if you're cousin dropped out of a PhD program, that will reflect poorly on him and probably be a huge-red flag if his 1L grades weren't top notch.
I just have to note for future TLSers searching this topic that this is not true. Tons of law students are grad school "dropouts". It's common to have a false start or two in life and employers understand that. You just need a good narrative for why not the other thing (without bashing it) and why law instead.
I should have been more specific... "if his 1L grades were poor."

Fresh starts are totally cool, but if you dropped out of graduate school and then did poorly 1L, you will be fighting a huge up-hill battle against the "this-kid-just-isn't-capable" stereotype, regardless of how compelling your story is.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Fri May 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Arad wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Fresh starts are totally cool, but if you dropped out of graduate school and then did poorly 1L, you will be fighting a huge up-hill battle against the "this-kid-just-isn't-capable" stereotype, regardless of how compelling your story is.
I have no idea what his grades are. He is at GULC though. I am at a tier III school and I got a paid gig. If I can do it, he can too, coming from a much higher ranked school.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:11 pm

Manali wrote:
Arad wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

I have no idea what his grades are. He is at GULC though. I am at a tier III school and I got a paid gig. If I can do it, he can too, coming from a much higher ranked school.
It's a lot easier to get a paid gig as a 2L than it is as a 1L.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Manali wrote:
Arad wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

It's a lot easier to get a paid gig as a 2L than it is as a 1L.
True. But he is willing to do an unpaid gig and live with family.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:02 am

there's nothing this thread can do to help. he's got to send out apps and he has to interview. the only thing this thread is good for is you shaming your cousin. to be honest though, if he's just now sending out apps? he's kind of fucked. all that's left are probably gigs with small firms where they're paying interns $10/hr so they can piggy back of their lexis account or RA positions. Not totally fucked for OCI but not any great jobs left either.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 am

I assume this "cousin" is just another Manali delusion, but if this person really exists, they could just log onto the GULC symplicity site and apply to one of the several openings for summer internships that have been posted there in the past week

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 am

Manali wrote:
Arad wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

And the statement you wanted to make with this thread finally came out. Shut it down mods, this thread has served its purpose.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sat May 21, 2016 3:12 pm

pancakes3 wrote:there's nothing this thread can do to help. he's got to send out apps and he has to interview. the only thing this thread is good for is you shaming your cousin. to be honest though, if he's just now sending out apps? he's kind of fucked. all that's left are probably gigs with small firms where they're paying interns $10/hr so they can piggy back of their lexis account or RA positions. Not totally fucked for OCI but not any great jobs left either.
I thought RA positions were fine for OCI?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Sun May 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Why are you working on behalf of your cousin? Shouldn't they be the one hustling for a job?

That, to me, seems to be a red flag here that may explain his difficulties.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun May 22, 2016 1:46 pm

fauxpsych wrote:Why are you working on behalf of your cousin? Shouldn't they be the one hustling for a job?

He's in the midst of finals and has gone through some rough circumstances this semester. Just trying to help out a family member.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Sun May 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Manali wrote:
fauxpsych wrote:Why are you working on behalf of your cousin? Shouldn't they be the one hustling for a job?

He's in the midst of finals and has gone through some rough circumstances this semester. Just trying to help out a family member.
As someone that lost a parent during a STEM(ish) grad program, It's cool that you are stepping up, but let's be honest. This shit gets worked on much earlier than finals and a place like Georgetown has a CSO to deal with it.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun May 22, 2016 11:01 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 7:41 am

Gray wrote:
Manali wrote:

I mean finals for 1Ls were finished a week ago here so....
I meant writing competition, which I assume is still going on and pretty time-intensive.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 am

Manali wrote:
Gray wrote:
Manali wrote:

I mean finals for 1Ls were finished a week ago here so....
I meant writing competition, which I assume is still going on and pretty time-intensive.
Of course you did. Of course.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:16 am

any luck so far?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 9:14 am

pancakes3 wrote:any luck so far?
Haven't spoken to him since Saturday, so not sure. I'd imagine there would be postings for RA positions on GULC's Symplicity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:22 am

but aren't you helping him?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 am

pancakes3 wrote:but aren't you helping him?
I'm doing whatever I can, but the hustle lies squarely in his lap at this point.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 am

so what exactly are you helping him with?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon May 23, 2016 9:35 am

pancakes3 wrote:so what exactly are you helping him with?
Texting him contact info of places still hiring. I can't apply for him. He needs to do that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”