Bored out of my mind Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bored out of my mind

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm a first year associate at a big law firm and I'm bored out of my fucking mind. Does anyone else (everyone else?) feel that way?

I don't care about anything I'm doing or how well I do it. I thought law school was generally boring, but I expected it to get better in practice. Nope, I'm just as bored with the work, I just have to do it more often now. Will it get better?

I used to be a teacher. I thought it could be a sort of annoying job and, of course, didn't like the pay. Now that I'm seeing the mind-numbing drudgery of an office job, I'm thinking about going back.

Anonymous User

Re: Bored out of my mind

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 2:19 pm

LOL Biglaw is one of a handful of jobs where you're both bored and stressed out all the time for long hours

It doesn't get better..just more stressful.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue May 10, 2016 3:01 pm

As you become more senior, the work becomes somewhat less boring. But the level of responsibility increases, as does the stress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 3:54 pm

What viable career options are there for someone with a liberal arts degree, a t6 law degree and 1 year of biglaw experience? I feel like I want to leave but I have nowhere to go..

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Tue May 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What viable career options are there for someone with a liberal arts degree, a t6 law degree and 1 year of biglaw experience? I feel like I want to leave but I have nowhere to go..
Accept the sunk cost and get more education? Coding bootcamps don't take much time or $ and supposedly get you a pretty high paying job at the end. Whether it's actually better than biglaw is a whole other thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue May 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What viable career options are there for someone with a liberal arts degree, a t6 law degree and 1 year of biglaw experience? I feel like I want to leave but I have nowhere to go..
Accept the sunk cost and get more education? Coding bootcamps don't take much time or $ and supposedly get you a pretty high paying job at the end. Whether it's actually better than biglaw is a whole other thing.
That ship has pretty much sailed. Getting a CS degree isn't the gold mine it used to be (about 3-5 years ago). Now, everyone's coding. Friend of mine is a recruiter for Google and, at least in her department, she doesn't even consider candidates without a PhD.

You can always teach... :lol:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the part that you were already a teacher. As ironic as it is to go full circle, I'm leaving my suggestion as-is.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a first year associate at a big law firm and I'm bored out of my fucking mind. Does anyone else (everyone else?) feel that way?

I don't care about anything I'm doing or how well I do it. I thought law school was generally boring, but I expected it to get better in practice. Nope, I'm just as bored with the work, I just have to do it more often now. Will it get better?

I used to be a teacher. I thought it could be a sort of annoying job and, of course, didn't like the pay. Now that I'm seeing the mind-numbing drudgery of an office job, I'm thinking about going back.
Become a public defender or prosecuting attorney. I don't think you would find yourself as bored as you are in biglaw. At least in those two jobs you would be going to court and speaking with clients or other interested parties in the cases.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biglaw Investor

New

Post by Biglaw Investor » Tue May 10, 2016 4:52 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Become a public defender or prosecuting attorney. I don't think you would find yourself as bored as you are in biglaw. At least in those two jobs you would be going to court and speaking with clients or other interested parties in the cases.
Very true - neither public defenders or prosecutors are bored. Underpaid and understaffed.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue May 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Biglaw Investor wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Become a public defender or prosecuting attorney. I don't think you would find yourself as bored as you are in biglaw. At least in those two jobs you would be going to court and speaking with clients or other interested parties in the cases.
Very true - neither public defenders or prosecutors are bored. Underpaid and understaffed.
It seems like an interesting gig. The work and pay probably isn't for everyone's tastes, but if OP is bored at biglaw and wants to try something a little bit different in the law, why not one of those gigs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Biglaw Investor

New

Post by Biglaw Investor » Tue May 10, 2016 5:05 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:
It seems like an interesting gig. The work and pay probably isn't for everyone's tastes, but if OP is bored at biglaw and wants to try something a little bit different in the law, why not one of those gigs?
I agree with you. They are interesting gigs, in part because they're underpaid and understaffed so they end up with a lot more experience and work. The ADAs always have interesting stories to tell at the end of each day at the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Danny Mothers wrote:
That ship has pretty much sailed. Getting a CS degree isn't the gold mine it used to be (about 3-5 years ago). Now, everyone's coding. Friend of mine is a recruiter for Google and, at least in her department, she doesn't even consider candidates without a PhD.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the part that you were already a teacher. As ironic as it is to go full circle, I'm leaving my suggestion as-is.
For Google, yeah that's not really good enough, but a lot of start ups hire out of coding bootcamps.

That said, not everyone is cut out for coding, and I would assume most lawyers/liberal arts majors couldn't do it well.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
Danny Mothers wrote:

For Google, yeah that's not really good enough, but a lot of start ups hire out of coding bootcamps.

That said, not everyone is cut out for coding, and I would assume most lawyers/liberal arts majors couldn't do it well.
I would assume most biglaw lawyers out of t14s could code just fine.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri May 13, 2016 2:02 am

WestOfTheRest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
Danny Mothers wrote:

I would assume most biglaw lawyers out of t14s could code just fine.
Yea u don't learn programming or get jobs because of some scammy bootcamp. U get jobs because you are good which u can do by fucking googling, and having some good shit in ur portfolio

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri May 13, 2016 9:51 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:Yea u don't learn programming or get jobs because of some scammy bootcamp. U get jobs because you are good which u can do by fucking googling, and having some good shit in ur portfolio
That's not to say that learning to code is useless. Sure, you won't have a technical degree and you won't be able to sit for the patent bar, but at least you'll be able to converse with your tech-savvy and tech-centered clients.

I'd almost rather be a non-tech degree holding attorney who can code so as to not pigeonhole myself into a patent prosecution position. Then again, it's not the 80's anymore and there's far more coders/engineers going to law school today.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri May 13, 2016 10:34 am

It's amazing to me how regularly these "biglaw sucks" threads turn into "coding is great" threads.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am

1styearlateral wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:Yea u don't learn programming or get jobs because of some scammy bootcamp. U get jobs because you are good which u can do by fucking googling, and having some good shit in ur portfolio
That's not to say that learning to code is useless. Sure, you won't have a technical degree and you won't be able to sit for the patent bar, but at least you'll be able to converse with your tech-savvy and tech-centered clients.

I'd almost rather be a non-tech degree holding attorney who can code so as to not pigeonhole myself into a patent prosecution position. Then again, it's not the 80's anymore and there's far more coders/engineers going to law school today.
Or do what I'm trying to do (Patent Attorney at mid-sized corp, doing mainly prosecution)... Get my company to pay for a MBA.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri May 13, 2016 11:15 am

I would rather be lawyer than a programmer / coder. Especially if you approach the two occupations from the vantage point of "which of these would be less boring?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 am

kellyfrost wrote:I would rather be lawyer than a programmer / coder. Especially if you approach the two occupations from the vantage point of "which of these would be less boring?"
Have you practiced law?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri May 13, 2016 11:30 am

rpupkin wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I would rather be lawyer than a programmer / coder. Especially if you approach the two occupations from the vantage point of "which of these would be less boring?"
Have you practiced law?
Software companies definitely have better work environments. No doubt about that. And I can see how one could find the striking similarities between drafting/reviewing hundreds of legal documents and writing thousands of lines of code. For me, I'd personally like to work the legal side of the tech industry; I find the issues more interesting than the actual coding itself.

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

I haven't programmed much (although my dad was a programmer for 40+ years). Depending on where you work, programming can require long hours, but I think it's much less stressful on average and on average has better QOL.

Law is just both boring and stressful. Compound that with long hours, it's a shitty profession.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Fri May 13, 2016 12:51 pm

To get off of the constant TLS circle jerk of coding, I second DA/PD work. If you get into a good county you can make about the same amount of $ (well over 100 for asst PD in chill CA countiesy). And the work seems fun as fuck, totally the opposite of biglaw. Seems like it'd be way more fun than 98% of mundane office jobs
Last edited by ballouttacontrol on Fri May 13, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Have you practiced law?
Yes. In fact, I've done both. I'm not sure if you have ever practiced law or programmed, but if you have, you would know that the law is certainly the least "boring" of the two.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri May 13, 2016 3:31 pm

The work of a DA/PD is even awesome in small rural counties as well. Sometimes I wish I would have pursued that route.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri May 13, 2016 5:53 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Have you practiced law?
Yes. In fact, I've done both. I'm not sure if you have ever practiced law or programmed, but if you have, you would know that the law is certainly the least "boring" of the two.
Certainly the least boring? If you have actually programmed and have actually practiced law for a decent length of time, you would know that there are different types of programmers and different types of lawyers. Your categorical statement is ridiculous.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri May 13, 2016 5:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Have you practiced law?
Certainly the least boring? If you have actually programmed and have actually practiced law for a decent length of time, you would know that there are different types of programmers and different types of lawyers. Your categorical statement is ridiculous.
You aren't a very good lawyer, are you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”