How much does this grade hurt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much does this grade hurt

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Took my last law school final today. Studied probably 4 days. I'm a huge slacker and idiotically took this actual curved doctrinal class. T14, the mean of the curve is like 3.26 or so using standard GOA values (of curved classes), though we don't have gpas officially. I don't have great grades, but a good mix of Bs through A-s, 3 As, and 1 B- (first semester 1L).

It's the worst I've EVER done, and I know it. I did what was worth about 55% of the exam in the last 35 minutes of a several hour exam. Basically just went wayyy to slow at first and then got fucked when I realized the test was way back loaded in %weight

My Q is how bad is this gonna hurt me when when I'm trying to lateral early on?

Oh and I only took two classes with grades this semester, the other one I feel like I probably got B, mayyyybe B+.

On this one, I would be ecstatic with a B, but tbh there's no way. B- would probably be the Prof being nice to me, though Cs are extremely rare.

Really though, how would you view this grade? Do you see it and be like, oh, "He was enjoying his last semester of 3LoL (the truth), meh?" Or, "wtf? He had 2 classes and practically failed one?" Or, "his grades suggest he could have done better, but chose to fuck around instead. Has poor judgment and probably a fuckup."?

Edit, after writing this it occurs to me idk what I'm really trying to get out of this... Just really really fukin kicking myself B/c I ACTUALLY wasn't that under prepared, I just really fucked up on my (lack of) strategy in correctly allotting my time.

I guess I'd just like to come to terms with what I've cost myself. I know no one can see the future but you as an associate of whatever year you are, interviewing me..what do you think of it when you see it?

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Re: How much does this grade hurt

Post by Foghornleghorn » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 pm

BJEsquire had a C on his resume. Ask him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2016 12:14 am

Foghornleghorn wrote:BJEsquire had a C on his resume. Ask him.
I mean, I already had a B-... But does getting one in your 6th semester look not as important as getting one early l earlier on when you were "trying," or does it look worse since your workload and responsibilities are such a joke. Like basically, how bad is it gonna come back to haunt me that my transcript is going to reflect that I completely COMPLETELY checked out this semester?

Also,
BJEsquire wrote: Paging BJ Esq.
Did I do that right? Lol

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am

chill out and enjoy being done. worry about this shit when you need to

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 04, 2016 9:47 am

You are having post-exam anxiety and the natural rush of blood to the head after a high pressure moment. You certainly didn't do as bad as you think you did. I did something very similar in my 2L Corps class; I spent so long on the MC that I never even made it to the second essay (beyond a bullet point list composed as the proctor shut us down of the issues). I didn't get an honors grade, but I was median passing and that was fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Foghornleghorn wrote:BJEsquire had a C on his resume. Ask him.
I mean, I already had a B-... But does getting one in your 6th semester look not as important as getting one early l earlier on when you were "trying," or does it look worse since your workload and responsibilities are such a joke. Like basically, how bad is it gonna come back to haunt me that my transcript is going to reflect that I completely COMPLETELY checked out this semester?

Also,
BJEsquire wrote: Paging BJ Esq.
Did I do that right? Lol
I don't typically bother to look at your transcript (HR often doesn't send), so a C matters the same in the sixth semester as in the first because it drags down your GPA the same amount.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:45 am

I could be wrong, but my inkling is that for lateral candidates, no one's going to be scrutinizing your transcript. They'll see the overall GPA on your resume and evaluate your performance that way, and most of the scrutinizing will be over what you've done as a young associate. I could be wrong though. I just can't imagine doing a grade-by-grade examination of someone who was four years removed from law school. I'd look at your GPA/rank, use that to tell myself he did well/okay/poorly in ls, and that would be the end of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You are having post-exam anxiety and the natural rush of blood to the head after a high pressure moment. You certainly didn't do as bad as you think you did. I did something very similar in my 2L Corps class; I spent so long on the MC that I never even made it to the second essay (beyond a bullet point list composed as the proctor shut us down of the issues). I didn't get an honors grade, but I was median passing and that was fine.
Somewhat comforting. I unfortunately know I really screwed the pooch on this one, but I suppose we'll see. Couple days of heavy drinking later and the anger/disappointment has subsided a lot.

I hope you're right brother, thx a lot, and everyone else

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat May 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Studied probably 4 days. I'm a huge slacker and idiotically took this actual curved doctrinal class.
This is exclusively how I've taken all my law school exams and I've never done worse than a B (all curved, including 1L). Including a doctrinal class where I started studying literally the night before, and several under 4 days. Nothing to be proud of, but you're good. Go get drunk. A B-, even, is not going to wreck you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”