JD job search not barred Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MzJD

New

JD job search not barred

Post by MzJD » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 am

Hi I am doing a legal job search but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I am not sure what types of positions I should apply for because I haven't passed the bar yet ( failed Jul 2015). I am waiting for Feb results and hopefully they are successful. But should I just wait until I get results or keeping looking now. Most attorney jobs state that you "MUST" have passed the bar in AZ. They also request at least 1-2 years of experience. Any advice would be great I am starting to stress out!

Anonymous User

Re: JD job search not barred

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am

You're situation is common and very tough. And this should be in the Vale of Tears thread.

I failed at my first attempt at passing the bar, and found a job in finance due to my banking background and a referral. The options you have are dynamic yet limited. I ended up passing the bar two years later and then finally joining a firm as an associate. During that time, I had my doubts of ever passing the bar, and even if I did, finding an attorney job in this market.

1. Apply for non-lawyer jobs this includes the "JD Preferred" category - you should convey to the employer you have no intention of practicing law. And honestly, this could be anything from being a contracts analyst, document review, and to compliance.

2. Apply to law firms (if you feel good about the bar, results are imminent for the rest of the states). With results around the corner, I would just wait just in case you don't get dinged for not having passed yet.

3. If you aren't working, you should be interning right now at the DA's office, a private firm, for a judge, or a pro bono clinic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 12:06 pm

A lot of insurance companies have been hiring JD-preferred positions in claims and compliance. A lot of this has to do with the abundance of JD holders and low supply of attorney jobs.

MzJD

New

Post by MzJD » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks I will take those suggestions! I appreciate it :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2016 5:11 pm

Graduating next week - is it worth applying for jobs before taking the Bar/getting admitted?

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Fri May 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”