What am I supposed to enjoy about being an attorney?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What am I supposed to enjoy about being an attorney?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2016 1:28 pm

For what it's worth, a lot of these complaints are job specific, not profession specific. Having to figure out things on your own might be more beneficial to your big picture development, and it's possible some of these assignments aren't as critical as you think they are. It could also be the partner not wanting to be bothered, and your career development is a great excuse.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:46 pm

What you do in biglaw is different than what you could do somewhere. For example, some of what I do is talking to people and advising them on courses of action. This is something I never thought I would do as an attorney and I really enjoy it.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Your situation sounds uniquely terrible and not really what I experience on a daily basis. I basically enjoy my job. I work at a 50 lawyer firm (1st year) and do pretty much all the writing for my cases with client meetings, appearances, depos sprinkled in. Someone above referenced the puzzle aspect of the work and that is probably an apt metaphor. I enjoy getting a motion, or whatever, that seems persuasive and deconstructing it and putting together a response. It is challenging and analytical. I wouldn't say creative but that might just be due to my definition of the word. Discovery is by far my least favorite part of the job, gathering docs and pointless disputes w/ recalcitrant counsel, but that is a small part of it.

Basically, I'd recommend changing jobs before you give up on law.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 am

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Things people enjoy about law IME (may vary widely by practice area):
- getting treated like a human adult. It didn't snow enough for the firm to close, but my neighborhood is definitely not safe to drive through? Fuck that, working from home! Meanwhile my secretary who lives in the same area as me is crawling to work in her 4-wheel drive, which is pretty shitty of the firm. Doctor's appointment in the middle of the day? Waltzing on out of here. Weekend trip? Checking out early Friday afternoon. My mom can't do that because her job won't let you take any time off on Fridays or Mondays, lest you have a fun weekend trip.
- working and shooting the shit with co-workers you actually fit in with, if you've never had that at work before.

Are you in NYC or another big market? Curious whether that degree of independence is common in certain cities, firms. Sounds great.

This independence definitely exists both in-house and at large firms in NYC. I couldn't speak to other areas.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 am

JenDarby wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Things people enjoy about law IME (may vary widely by practice area):
- getting treated like a human adult. It didn't snow enough for the firm to close, but my neighborhood is definitely not safe to drive through? Fuck that, working from home! Meanwhile my secretary who lives in the same area as me is crawling to work in her 4-wheel drive, which is pretty shitty of the firm. Doctor's appointment in the middle of the day? Waltzing on out of here. Weekend trip? Checking out early Friday afternoon. My mom can't do that because her job won't let you take any time off on Fridays or Mondays, lest you have a fun weekend trip.
- working and shooting the shit with co-workers you actually fit in with, if you've never had that at work before.

Are you in NYC or another big market? Curious whether that degree of independence is common in certain cities, firms. Sounds great.

This independence definitely exists both in-house and at large firms in NYC. I couldn't speak to other areas.

Confirmed at a different large NYC firm and a non-major market firm... I'd note though, your weekend trip may get canceled or pushed and you'll work plenty of nights--one way or another you're probably going hit approx. 2000 billable and at 400 non-billable office hours. Also due to conference calls and random client requests and such, I rarely schedule non-work appointments midday.

And my secretary has a similar level of freedom and much better hours. So this is obviously hugely dependent on your employer/supervisor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment�