[dudes] Do you get all of your shirts tailored?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
svergara

New

Re: [dudes] Do you get all of your shirts tailored?

Postby svergara » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm

I actually have a similar athletic build (with a 10" drop) and just recently found SuitSupply to have the best shirts for that sort of taper. The extra slim fit hugs the torso like some other designer shirts without the crazy pull in the chest - definitely worth $79 a shirt imo.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:34 pm

svergara wrote:I actually have a similar athletic build (with a 10" drop) and just recently found SuitSupply to have the best shirts for that sort of taper. The extra slim fit hugs the torso like some other designer shirts without the crazy pull in the chest - definitely worth $79 a shirt imo.

Damn I totally may try that. My suit supply suit fits nice

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 am

Try Charles Tywhritt

You can get the shirts at like 40/each, then get them taken in. Great shirts for the price.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 pm

The whole concept of "work" clothes irks me. You're an adult, and supposedly a professional. Now, they're just clothes. Buy nice ones.

I go strictly bespoke shirts from Turnbull & Asser. People who don't want to spend money on "work" clothes don't value their career (which is ironic considering you'll wear them for 80 hours or more a lot of weeks once you factor in communting, going out after work, etc.). They don't necessarily need to be bespoke when you're a first year, but looking for the cheapest option isn't the way to go either.

FWIW, if you spend a little extra money buying quality "work" clothes, you just might make a little more money down the road to buy all the "play" clothes you could ever want (which presumably are way less expensive since it sounds like you'd prefer a t shirt to "work" clothes).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:19 pm

I have this problem and I only do MTM by mail. There's dozens of these places: Tailor Store, MyTailor, Indochino, Black Lapel, Proper Cloth, etc. etc. You can check styleforum for reviews. Prices range about 50-200 depending on fabrics. A cheaper fabric, well fitting shirt looks 10x better than a "nice" shirt that doesn't fit. Also, once you have a fit dialed with a company, you can just order away and they'll all fit.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The whole concept of "work" clothes irks me. You're an adult, and supposedly a professional. Now, they're just clothes. Buy nice ones.

I go strictly bespoke shirts from Turnbull & Asser. People who don't want to spend money on "work" clothes don't value their career (which is ironic considering you'll wear them for 80 hours or more a lot of weeks once you factor in communting, going out after work, etc.). They don't necessarily need to be bespoke when you're a first year, but looking for the cheapest option isn't the way to go either.

FWIW, if you spend a little extra money buying quality "work" clothes, you just might make a little more money down the road to buy all the "play" clothes you could ever want (which presumably are way less expensive since it sounds like you'd prefer a t shirt to "work" clothes).

lol.

gander14

New

Postby gander14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:37 pm

tyroneslothrop1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The whole concept of "work" clothes irks me. You're an adult, and supposedly a professional. Now, they're just clothes. Buy nice ones.

lol.

What he said. Lol. Do you chill around the house, run errands, or go out with friends in business casual? If so, chill. If not, you should understand why they are "work clothes."
Last edited by gander14 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0lol

New

Postby 0lol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:37 pm

too jacked and ripped not to, tbqh

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm

People who don't spend $300 or whatever the fuck don't value their careers. Lol fuck outta hereeee. Have fun in biglaw for life.

Anonymous User wrote:I have this problem and I only do MTM by mail. There's dozens of these places: Tailor Store, MyTailor, Indochino, Black Lapel, Proper Cloth, etc. etc. You can check styleforum for reviews. Prices range about 50-200 depending on fabrics. A cheaper fabric, well fitting shirt looks 10x better than a "nice" shirt that doesn't fit. Also, once you have a fit dialed with a company, you can just order away and they'll all fit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

When you do this, how do u get measured in the first place? Do u go to a tailer and have him measure you then send them to the companies above? I feel like it'd take a few iterations to get it right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:56 pm

gander14 wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:

lol.

What he said. Lol. Do you chill around the house, run errands, or go out with friends in business casual? If so, chill. If not, you should understand why they are "work clothes."

This is why you're not a person I'd take very seriously. Those type clothes don't matter what you wear, they won't affect perception of you. Wearing nice clothes to a work setting (again, the vast majority of your clothes-wearing life in Biglaw) affects how you appear, and therefore, how others perceive you. Not saying someone should spend $300 on a shirt, but this also isn't your job at starbucks anymore. Clothes are an investment in your career, so they deserve more than just an afterthought. You're not going to be running around serving drinks, sweating, and spilling shit on your clothes in Biglaw, so they'll last. A good shirt that fits well can last most of your career. Overtime, collect 10-15 and you're set basically until you're senior enough to wear t shirts wherever you're working.

gander14

New

Postby gander14 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:07 pm

"Wearing nice clothes in a work setting." Fine. That's why they're called work clothes.

Also it doesn't really matter that much. You probably shouldn't look like a slob, but half of the partners do.

lowdmouse

New

Postby lowdmouse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Let me guess, you gave out business cards in law school, right? I can get more into clothes than the average guy, but this is absurd and must be a troll. And what's with the t-shirt comment? Because he works out? Do you bench in a $350 custom dress shirt? OP is here trying to find shirts that fit. A lot of guys would just buy shirts that are way too big and call it a day. So maybe be helpful.

And just because I know it'll piss you off: I wore loafers without socks to the office today. I know. Can't believe I didn't get fired for not valuing my career.

OP: I'm in a similar (but way less built) boat. I second Indochino (esp for suits, they always have a sale where you can get something good for $400) or Ratio Clothing for custom shirts ($95-125). I had to get my first Indochino suit remade, but now that they have my measurements right it's really straightforward to get a suit that actually fits. You can also get your Indochino suits with side tabs to adjust for seasonal fluctuations.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:35 pm

"work" clothes is only a subset of "nice" clothes. My work clothes are (required to be) suits and tops that go with suits. I'm absolutely not wearing them when I'm not at work, because I don't hate myself.

(But then women have a much bigger range of possibilities too.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:"work" clothes is only a subset of "nice" clothes. My work clothes are (required to be) suits and tops that go with suits. I'm absolutely not wearing them when I'm not at work, because I don't hate myself.

Do you always call shirts tops?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:"work" clothes is only a subset of "nice" clothes. My work clothes are (required to be) suits and tops that go with suits. I'm absolutely not wearing them when I'm not at work, because I don't hate myself.

Well, I'm a woman, so that's what I wear.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

(has literally never spoken to a woman)
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deuceindc

Bronze

Postby deuceindc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 am

I like Hugh & Crye for OTR shirting. Their sizes are by height and body type (as opposed to strictly S/M/L) and shirts are tailored to avoid the cupcake/muffin top effect. Not cheap, but $50ish during sales.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 am

Tailored shirts are ideal. That one guy went too far but there is something to be said for dressing nice to work. Doesn't mean you need to be flashy, but wearing stuff that properly fits, isn't too conservative, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:57 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have this problem and I only do MTM by mail. There's dozens of these places: Tailor Store, MyTailor, Indochino, Black Lapel, Proper Cloth, etc. etc. You can check styleforum for reviews. Prices range about 50-200 depending on fabrics. A cheaper fabric, well fitting shirt looks 10x better than a "nice" shirt that doesn't fit. Also, once you have a fit dialed with a company, you can just order away and they'll all fit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

When you do this, how do u get measured in the first place? Do u go to a tailer and have him measure you then send them to the companies above? I feel like it'd take a few iterations to get it right?

Self measure. Get yourself a cloth measuring tape, and preferably a friend to help. Tailors tend to add extra based on their needs for cutting, whereas the MTM systems also add, so you run the risk of double adding. There's no reason you can't do it yourself. Also be prepared for the first shirt not to be perfect, but you'll dial it in and then you're good to go.

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:00 pm

bespoke or nothing

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 am

For the dudes who get bespoke shirts, do you get non iron?

Return to “Legal Employment�