Complacency after Meeting Career Goals + Keeping Options Open? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Complacency after Meeting Career Goals + Keeping Options Open?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 am

A lot of chat on TLS is geared around the first few years out of law school: deciding which job to take, analyzing different markets, navigating being an associate in Biglaw, determining how and where to lateral, etc.

There have to be others out there who have met long-term career goals and have the feeling of plateauing. You reach that point where you're not worried about student loans, not worried about being able to tough out the day-to-day grind, not worried about job security, but there is the lingering feeling that you can't rely on your path to keep you happy until retirement.

When I started practicing, 5-10 years to get to where I wanted seemed like forever. It seemed like the ultimate goal. Now that I'm there, the next 20-30 years are like purgatory and seem like an eternity, and I realize I'm in this odd penultimate stage of my career where there's this latent feeling that something could always change or go wrong, and that something likely will at some point. Money is good and everything seems gravy, but "best laid plans of mice and men," etc. It's not that I hate my job, it's just that I recognize the inherent risks of burnout, apathy, unforeseen changes in the firm, etc.

This is all vague, but that's on purpose. What things, if any, are you mid/late-career folks doing to spread your risk and guard against putting all of your eggs in one basket? I don't know what I'm looking for, or if I'm even looking for advice or not, just trying to put a feeler out there for people in similar situations. I try to network and keep a good reputation in case I have to move on. I maintain relationships with various bureaucrats and politicians in case that type of position could be a secondary option. But none of that feels like a "solid" option. I guess it's just slog it out or bust, with the general feeling that I have no room to complain given the state of the industry?

zot1

Gold

Re: Complacency after Meeting Career Goals + Keeping Options Open?

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:35 am

Bro, I'm already feeling the way you're feeling and I enjoy my job. I can't help but think that this won't be me forever.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks for posting this OP, coincidentally I've recently had this nagging feeling that this will be me in 10 years. It's hard, as a junior attorney, to step back and realize that my career has 40+ years to go. I have all these goals in mind (some realistic, some fantastical), but even most of those goals are likely achievable in half that time, so I can totally see where you're coming from even though I haven't been there myself yet.

It sounds like you have everything right for now. I was going to suggest you continue broadening your network but you threw it in at the end there so I guess you have that covered as well. Maybe look into new volunteer opportunities? Plenty of nonprofits are looking for board members and volunteers all around the country. I think activities like that are both personally rewarding and can help round out your resume if you're not doing them already. For example, I just recently reached out to my undergrad alma mater to mentor pre-law students. Sure it may help my network a bit but there's inherent value as well. Maybe explore those kind of opportunities?

Other than that, I think it's safe to say you can "coast" for now. And I don't mean get lazy, but just keep doing what you're doing while keeping your eyes open for new opportunities that may come your way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am

misterjames wrote:Maybe look into new volunteer opportunities? Plenty of nonprofits are looking for board members and volunteers all around the country. I think activities like that are both personally rewarding and can help round out your resume if you're not doing them already.
OP here. I like this advice. Unfortunately, I'm already on a number of boards that I should stay on for business development (rainmaking) reasons, which is yet another manifestation of the soul-sucking nature of our industry. It has a tendency to take anything optional and turn it mandatory.
Other than that, I think it's safe to say you can "coast" for now. And I don't mean get lazy, but just keep doing what you're doing while keeping your eyes open for new opportunities that may come your way.
I agree it's coasting time, hence the rudderless feeling. The bigger issue is that I don't want a new opportunity, at least not right now. It's just that feeling of impending change. Not quite doom, but change. Some of that exists in any job, but I think what's different about law is how high the burnout rate is, how volatile the market is, and how fickle a lawyer's reputation is. In most industries, if you're good, you have work. In law, it's equally important to be durable/resilient as actually being good. That realization is probably the oppressive portion of what I'm feeling. I wonder if athletes feel something similar when they get to be a certain age where they are still playing well but know the decline is inevitable?

Not really sure this thread has a point, but thanks for those who can relate and who've chimed in.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:07 pm

It sounds like you need a life outside of work starting like, 10 years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:It sounds like you need a life outside of work starting like, 10 years ago.
OP. I'm a lawyer with more than one kid. What's this "life" of which you speak?

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:It sounds like you need a life outside of work starting like, 10 years ago.
OP. I'm a lawyer with more than one kid. What's this "life" of which you speak?
touche!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”