Removed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clshopeful

Bronze

Re: Drinking Alcohol at the Office, generally ok or no?

Post by clshopeful » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:It's a little frightening that this profession is ok enough with alcoholism that it's apparently considered acceptable to drink alone in your office at night. But whatever, carry on. I guess a glass of bourbon every now and then is better than snorting coke in the restrooms.
great, another person who thinks if you have a drink alone you're a crazed alcoholic. Many people are introverts and enjoy relaxing at the end of the day and having a drink. Lawyers work a lot, so it's not insane for one to have a drink at night in the office.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 pm

I think this depends on the firm.

If you did this on a weeknight at my firm, it would be weird and noticed. No one would say anything to you probably, but why don't you just go home and have your drink there? Isn't that more comfortable than your office? People would probably just be concerned. No one gives a shit if you drink at home alone and keep working (like absolutely not at all everyone does it), but doing that in the office at night instead of getting home that much earlier would probably worry people here. That might just be my mentality, since I have a dog and SO and can easily do everything remotely, but I've never seen or heard of someone drinking in their office during the week here. Edit: And by "drinking" I don't mean going wild, I mean having a glass or two.

If you have to come in on the weekend for stuff though, you could probably do tequila shots and get away with it no problem. Same with late evening on Friday if you are there because that's the weekend and that sucks.
Last edited by favabeansoup on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 pm

clshopeful wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:It's a little frightening that this profession is ok enough with alcoholism that it's apparently considered acceptable to drink alone in your office at night. But whatever, carry on. I guess a glass of bourbon every now and then is better than snorting coke in the restrooms.
great, another person who thinks if you have a drink alone you're a crazed alcoholic. Many people are introverts and enjoy relaxing at the end of the day and having a drink. Lawyers work a lot, so it's not insane for one to have a drink at night in the office.
Sitting alone in your office and drinking is weird.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:07 am

How has this thing gone for four pages? Drinking alone in office is weird and no junior should do it. Different scenario if the whole team is drinking or if it is also your office mate or some similar situation.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 am

This thread is enlightening. Lawyers range from people who see nor problem with it to people who find the very idea of drinking by yourself repugnant. Studying or should be studying for the bar so I haven no credited opinion, but sounds like just figure out the culture first.

In any case, drink out of a coffee mug that says jesus or something. If nobody knows, nobody will care. Which is the real point I think. If your drinking is something that people notice and think about, there is probably a problem. If its something you do without raising any bells, whats the problem. Either you aren't an alcoholic or you are a high-functioning one. Ultimately, the results of either shouldn't be all that different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:23 am

lawman84 wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
I'm an introvert and I also think it's weird. Count me in with the people who don't understand why someone would be drinking in the office if they still have work to get done/why they'd be in the office at all if they're actually done with work for the night and are alone in the office.

As for the alcoholism debate, I see a difference between a bottle of beer/a glass of wine every couple weeks or so because someone brought it in for you to try and hey, it's been awhile since you've tried a new pinot noir, and hard liquor more than once a week because work is super stressful and whisky helps take the edge off the week. The former, okay; the latter, you're developing a problem, even if you're not a full-blown alcoholic yet. Relying on alcohol as a method to reduce stress is a sign of a budding addiction.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 am

^LJL nerd.

A lot of people can work buzzed. I don't think anyone is saying "oh, I'm done for the night, lets sit here and drink whiskey." Its more like, I have another two hours to grind, haven't seen friends or family for two months, maybe I'll have a glass or two of whiskey while I finish this. This is clearly a bad idea if you are about to send a finished draft to someone or have a deadline, but if you are just doing the typical comma-monkey grind, why the hell not. I know I've heard of plenty of lawyers who have worked after a 5 happy hour, brought back wine, and continued grinding for the night. In other countries, its normal to start this at lunch. As long as things aren't affecting your work product, who the hell cares.

Again this all has to be qualified with office culture. And I certainly wouldn't hit the bottle before 7-8, unless there was some firm wide thing. And if its a regular thing, you are probably setting yourself up for trouble. But at the end of the day, you are an adult, and what you are responsible for is your work product. If your work product is solid, do what you want.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:As for the alcoholism debate, I see a difference between a bottle of beer/a glass of wine every couple weeks or so because someone brought it in for you to try and hey, it's been awhile since you've tried a new pinot noir, and hard liquor more than once a week because work is super stressful and whisky helps take the edge off the week. The former, okay; the latter, you're developing a problem, even if you're not a full-blown alcoholic yet. Relying on alcohol as a method to reduce stress is a sign of a budding addiction.
I hope you got that, kids. If you have more than one alcoholic beverage every two weeks, you're on the road to a drinking problem.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
I'm an introvert and I also think it's weird. Count me in with the people who don't understand why someone would be drinking in the office if they still have work to get done/why they'd be in the office at all if they're actually done with work for the night and are alone in the office.

As for the alcoholism debate, I see a difference between a bottle of beer/a glass of wine every couple weeks or so because someone brought it in for you to try and hey, it's been awhile since you've tried a new pinot noir, and hard liquor more than once a week because work is super stressful and whisky helps take the edge off the week. The former, okay; the latter, you're developing a problem, even if you're not a full-blown alcoholic yet. Relying on alcohol as a method to reduce stress is a sign of a budding addiction.
Lmfao what???

Where the fuck does TLS find these people??? Did u never go to bar review in law school? Jfc

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:21 am

Thomas Jefferson used to drink three glasses of wine every day. If it's good for a two-time president and a peer-proclaimed genius, I'm sure it's good for the rest of us.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At PW they have in office happy hours every Friday at like 5, where you get awesome alcohol then go back to work.
NYC big law is so, so depressing.
Eh, I work non-NY midlaw and we do the exact same thing, so...
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:26 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As for the alcoholism debate, I see a difference between a bottle of beer/a glass of wine every couple weeks or so because someone brought it in for you to try and hey, it's been awhile since you've tried a new pinot noir, and hard liquor more than once a week because work is super stressful and whisky helps take the edge off the week. The former, okay; the latter, you're developing a problem, even if you're not a full-blown alcoholic yet. Relying on alcohol as a method to reduce stress is a sign of a budding addiction.
I hope you got that, kids. If you have more than one alcoholic beverage every two weeks, you're on the road to a drinking problem.
I thought the key was actually the reason for the drinking, and not only the number of drinks. And maybe also the difference between drinking light alcohol and drinking hard liquor. Otherwise why would the person have gone on to say that the stress part was the sign of the budding addiction?

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:27 am

In Europe you can have a beer or wine with your lunch and no one will look at you like you just committed heresy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:43 am

mvp99 wrote:In Europe you can have a beer or wine with your lunch and no one will look at you like you just committed heresy
I feel like there's a difference between having a beer and having scotch on the rocks though.

Which isn't to say I think you're an alcoholic just for drinking scotch, but is to say, I suspect people in the office are going to see a difference between a guy sipping a glass of wine at his desk versus a paper cup of scotch. Not everyone thinks the latter is a healthy component to the workday anymore.

WinSome

New

Post by WinSome » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:11 am

elendinel wrote:
mvp99 wrote:In Europe you can have a beer or wine with your lunch and no one will look at you like you just committed heresy
I feel like there's a difference between having a beer and having scotch on the rocks though.

Which isn't to say I think you're an alcoholic just for drinking scotch, but is to say, I suspect people in the office are going to see a difference between a guy sipping a glass of wine at his desk versus a paper cup of scotch. Not everyone thinks the latter is a healthy component to the workday anymore.
I agree. There's a massive difference here. Who the hell drinks scotch on the rocks?!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 am

elendinel wrote:

Which isn't to say I think you're an alcoholic just for drinking scotch, but is to say, I suspect people in the office are going to see a difference between a guy sipping a glass of wine at his desk versus a paper cup of scotch.
Yes, if you open a bottle of wine you damn well finish it, but you can take a sip of scotch.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 am

WinSome wrote:
elendinel wrote:

I agree. There's a massive difference here. Who the hell drinks scotch on the rocks?!
Is this a real question?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:24 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
WinSome wrote:
elendinel wrote:

Is this a real question?
Yeah, I am so confused. Lots of people do this...doesn't make them an alcoholic by any means.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 am

rpupkin wrote:
I assumed they meant at the office, not ever.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:34 am

WinSome wrote:
elendinel wrote:

I do. Love it + no unnecessary calories.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 am

mvp99 wrote:
WinSome wrote:
elendinel wrote:

Drinking it neat, which also adds no calories and doesn't dilute or chill the drink, is TCR

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 am

Lmao at drinking a glass of wine alone at your desk while doing doc review.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am

heythatslife wrote:
elendinel wrote:

Which isn't to say I think you're an alcoholic just for drinking scotch, but is to say, I suspect people in the office are going to see a difference between a guy sipping a glass of wine at his desk versus a paper cup of scotch.
Yes, if you open a bottle of wine you damn well finish it, but you can take a sip of scotch.
Lol. Can't let that wine go to waste!

At my firm, one of my colleagues brought us back little souvenir shots of (good) liquor from his destination wedding maybe a year or two ago. Everyone keeps joking about how we should break them out and have a party, but pretty much everyone still has them unopened on their desk. On the flipside, we all do go out to happy hour occasionally, and people do drink wine/beer there. Precisely because of the high rate of alcoholism in the field in general, and because you may be one of the few people drinking alone in your office who isn't actually an alcoholic, but your co-workers won't have any way of knowing that.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:41 am

At my summer firm associates and partners would have wine at lunch (sometimes several glasses) and nobody cared.

I'm also of the opinion that if it is after 6 or 7 and you want to have alcohol on your office, go for it.

WinSome

New

Post by WinSome » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:00 pm

mvp99 wrote:
WinSome wrote:
elendinel wrote:

You misunderstand me. I'm not amazed that someone would drink scotch without a mixer. I'm saying drinking it on the rocks is waste. It dilutes and chills it to the point where it loses a lot of flavor. You gotta go neat or with a splash of water.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”