Summer Legal Intern DA's Office & Background Check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SuperL

New

Summer Legal Intern DA's Office & Background Check

Postby SuperL » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some insight on background checks. I've been admitted into an DA's office as a summer intern. Recently I received a phone call to schedule a live screening test, that's where they take my fingerprint and check for arrests/tickets in 30 days prior to beginning the internship. Does this mean that I've already cleared the background check? I've also received a phone call for an interview with a division at the DA's office. I'm assuming that I've already cleared backgrounds? Is that correct?

Thanks!

zot1

Gold

Re: Summer Legal Intern DA's Office & Background Check

Postby zot1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:32 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean that. I technically got hired for an internship before my background check cleared.

SuperL

New

Postby SuperL » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I spoke with someone at the volunteer's office last week and she said I probably passed backgrounds but she also was hesitant to give me a solid answer one way or the other. I have already accepted a decent internship for this summer and I need to cancel that for the DA's but I fear doing so may leave me with nothing for the summer if I later find out I didn't clear backgrounds. Should I just call the volunteer's office on Monday and get them to give me a solid answer, or refer me to someone who can? Or what else can I do?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:39 pm

Why wouldn't you clear the background check?

You can call and ask, but they may really not know yet. Mine took forever because that's how long the processing was.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:41 pm

They may have run your criminal record using your name & DOB, but they may still want to run your prints through AFIS. Having an interview doesn't necessarily mean they're done with the bg check.

Do you have anything on your record that you're worried about?

SuperL

New

Postby SuperL » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 pm

But would they schedule the live fingerprint screening if I hadn't already passed bg?

Return to “Legal Employment�