Summer Associate Class of 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What's the damage so far this summer?

I've actually lost weight.
23%
Essentially the same.
21%
2-5 pounds
21%
5-10 pounds
16%
10-15 pounds
6%
It's bad.
13%

Total votes: 162

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2016

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:27 pm

can we at least out the location?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:36 pm

What do you think this site is for if not outing the firm to let others know.

ps - how do you feel knowing your firm is cool with something like this?

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:53 pm

barkschool wrote:What do you think this site is for if not outing the firm to let others know.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't see the point in outing a firm for cold-offering. Out none or out them all, but "exposing" one firm for doing something that basically every firm does when it has to would give students the false impression that every firm that hasn't been outed has a true 100% offer rate.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:14 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
barkschool wrote:What do you think this site is for if not outing the firm to let others know.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't see the point in outing a firm for cold-offering. Out none or out them all, but "exposing" one firm for doing something that basically every firm does when it has to would give students the false impression that every firm that hasn't been outed has a true 100% offer rate.
I guess my problem is with cold offers from a macro level, and this specific example seems particularly egregious.. just my $0.02.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:11 pm

It's better for that person than a no offer. While I agree that having cold offer information is useful in deciding between firms, the "out the firm" chorus strikes me as generally stemming more from a desire to indulge in gossip than any sort of altruism.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Word is multiple no offers from a certain prestigious DC firm

lawschool32324

New

Post by lawschool32324 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Word is multiple no offers from a certain prestigious DC firm
firm name?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Firms are super busy. Would you guys accept part time work during 3L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

lawschool32324 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Word is multiple no offers from a certain prestigious DC firm
firm name?
Second.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 pm

inb4 covingttton

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:54 pm

No offer from a DE firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:01 pm

DC multiple no offers is GDC.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC multiple no offers is GDC.
Same poster.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:36 pm

outing firms for no offering a person or two is dumb. if it's a high offer rate firm, the person almost certainly did something to deserve it.

alphamalek

New

Post by alphamalek » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Firms are super busy. Would you guys accept part time work during 3L?
Has anyone presented this to a firm if you summered near your campus? Seems true that my firm is busy and could use the help. Most people suggest taking as much time as possible before starting but it seems hard to resist if you can pull the schedule to support it.
Last edited by alphamalek on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:36 am

Offered. Relieved. Gluck to everyone

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 am

alphamalek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firms are super busy. Would you guys accept part time work during 3L?
Has anyone presented this to a firm if you summered near your campus? Seems true that my firm is busy and could use the help. Most people suggest taking as much time as possible before starting but it seems hard to resist if you can pull the schedule to support it.
they'll ask if they want 3L help

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Friend is getting anxious about getting no/cold offered. She summered at a traditionally near 100% firm (1 or 2 no offers every few years) in a NY/DC/Chi/SF based firm. Her program ended last Friday and the firm communicated that offers will not be going out until next week at the earliest. Reviews/feedback were all good with nobody saying anything bad. On Monday she sent "thank you"/"let's get coffee sometime" emails to a few associates she worked most with after her program ended but has not heard back from any of them. Are associates not allowed to communicate with summers after the program ends but before they get offered? She's worried that the associates aren't replying because she's about to get no/cold offered. She understands that the associates are busy and that is the most likely reason for the lack of responses. She also understands that she may be being overly neurotic but she can't shake the feeling. Should she be worried?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Friend is getting anxious about getting no/cold offered. She summered at a traditionally near 100% firm (1 or 2 no offers every few years) in a NY/DC/Chi/SF based firm. Her program ended last Friday and the firm communicated that offers will not be going out until next week at the earliest. Reviews/feedback were all good with nobody saying anything bad. On Monday she sent "thank you"/"let's get coffee sometime" emails to a few associates she worked most with after her program ended but has not heard back from any of them. Are associates not allowed to communicate with summers after the program ends but before they get offered? She's worried that the associates aren't replying because she's about to get no/cold offered. She understands that the associates are busy and that is the most likely reason for the lack of responses. She also understands that she may be being overly neurotic but she can't shake the feeling. Should she be worried?
No we're just fucking busy and a thank you doesn't really warrant a response. They probably don't even know if she is getting no offered, although it sounds like someone is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:02 am

Tomorrow will stress me out as the wait hits the one week mark.

johnjay

New

Post by johnjay » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Friend is getting anxious about getting no/cold offered. She summered at a traditionally near 100% firm (1 or 2 no offers every few years) in a NY/DC/Chi/SF based firm. Her program ended last Friday and the firm communicated that offers will not be going out until next week at the earliest. Reviews/feedback were all good with nobody saying anything bad. On Monday she sent "thank you"/"let's get coffee sometime" emails to a few associates she worked most with after her program ended but has not heard back from any of them. Are associates not allowed to communicate with summers after the program ends but before they get offered? She's worried that the associates aren't replying because she's about to get no/cold offered. She understands that the associates are busy and that is the most likely reason for the lack of responses. She also understands that she may be being overly neurotic but she can't shake the feeling. Should she be worried?
"Friend is getting anxious." You know you're already anonymous right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Got an offer... not in the group I ranked first. Won't lie, pretty mad at this, wince the same partner who gave me the call seemed to be pretty optimistic about getting the group I ranked first. Now im scurring to try and move out of my current firm. This all feels very bittersweet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer... not in the group I ranked first. Won't lie, pretty mad at this, wince the same partner who gave me the call seemed to be pretty optimistic about getting the group I ranked first. Now im scurring to try and move out of my current firm. This all feels very bittersweet.
I'm impressed you heard back about groups so quickly.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer... not in the group I ranked first. Won't lie, pretty mad at this, wince the same partner who gave me the call seemed to be pretty optimistic about getting the group I ranked first. Now im scurring to try and move out of my current firm. This all feels very bittersweet.
How common is this?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:51 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
How common is this?
it's pretty common

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”