Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Overnight
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby Overnight » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 pm

I was fortunate to be offered a 1L SA position at a BigLaw firm in the location and practice area that I want to work in. Now I have to prove myself and earn 2L SA and beyond.

Because there is no guarantee of a post-grad offer I should still interview at OCI and summer job fairs (Loyola), right? Or would a firm be offended by a mere suggestion that I am "still looking?" How do I handle this with the 1L SA firm? The 1L SA firm's information online mentions that they discourage split summers.

All advice and commentary are appreciated.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4243
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Overnight wrote:I was fortunate to be offered a 1L SA position at a BigLaw firm in the location and practice area that I want to work in. Now I have to prove myself and earn 2L SA and beyond.

Because there is no guarantee of a post-grad offer I should still interview at OCI and summer job fairs (Loyola), right? Or would a firm be offended by a mere suggestion that I am "still looking?" How do I handle this with the 1L SA firm? The 1L SA firm's information online mentions that they discourage split summers.

All advice and commentary are appreciated.


Yes 100% still do OCI. If your 1L firm asks, and you want to work there, tell them they are your top choice but you just are doing this as a backup plan, etc.

Overnight
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby Overnight » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Br3v wrote:
Overnight wrote:I was fortunate to be offered a 1L SA position at a BigLaw firm in the location and practice area that I want to work in. Now I have to prove myself and earn 2L SA and beyond.

Because there is no guarantee of a post-grad offer I should still interview at OCI and summer job fairs (Loyola), right? Or would a firm be offended by a mere suggestion that I am "still looking?" How do I handle this with the 1L SA firm? The 1L SA firm's information online mentions that they discourage split summers.

All advice and commentary are appreciated.


Yes 100% still do OCI. If your 1L firm asks, and you want to work there, tell them they are your top choice but you just are doing this as a backup plan, etc.


Thanks for the prompt affirmation. Everyone agree with this advice?

sprezz
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby sprezz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm

yes

run26.2
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby run26.2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Yes, you still need to to 2L OCI. It is possible you will not find out whether or not you have an offer until after 2L OCI is completed. If you were to not receive an offer, or the terms were not what you expected, you would be significantly disadvantaged by not having done OCI.

And you are evaluating them as well, so there is no guarantee you would want to return there.

Overnight
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby Overnight » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks everyone. Glad I asked.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1617
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Overnight wrote:Thanks everyone. Glad I asked.


Agree with everyone. Definitely do OCI. Also, they may "discourage" split summers, but that's particularly for 2L SAs who did not summer there previously. Often times, if you have a 1L SA with a firm, they will be more flexible with you returning for less time the following summer. Also, Loyola will likely occur before you get your return offer anyways.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 7082
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby First Offense » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 am

Overnight wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Overnight wrote:I was fortunate to be offered a 1L SA position at a BigLaw firm in the location and practice area that I want to work in. Now I have to prove myself and earn 2L SA and beyond.

Because there is no guarantee of a post-grad offer I should still interview at OCI and summer job fairs (Loyola), right? Or would a firm be offended by a mere suggestion that I am "still looking?" How do I handle this with the 1L SA firm? The 1L SA firm's information online mentions that they discourage split summers.

All advice and commentary are appreciated.


Yes 100% still do OCI. If your 1L firm asks, and you want to work there, tell them they are your top choice but you just are doing this as a backup plan, etc.


Thanks for the prompt affirmation. Everyone agree with this advice?

I would be shocked if your firm even made it an issue. Most people with 1L SAs just do a few week "touchback" 2L year.

Absolutely do 2L OCI, and if your 1L firm has a problem with it, that strikes me as a red flag.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby zhenders » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:56 am

Yep, definitely. I'll be at a firm with a nearly 100% 1L SA offer rate (if you complete the summer, you are asked to return 2L, and 2L offer rate is 100%), and I'll still be doing OCI and the firm gets that. it's 100% standard practice to still do OCI (although it's certainly true that by the end of 1L summer, depending upon the offer structure, many choose not to do OCI; this was true of a number of my friends who were 1L summers where I'm going).

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Have BigLaw 1L SA. Should I interview at OCI?

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:28 am

Definitely sign up. Even if you choose to take a return offer, you can hook your friends up with your OCI interviews.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.