Partner Tracks Used to be 4 Years???? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
speed_the_loot

New

Partner Tracks Used to be 4 Years????

Post by speed_the_loot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Last edited by speed_the_loot on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Re: Partner Tracks Used to be 4 Years????

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

In non-NY markets (or really anyone not on the Cravath system), hiring was done on the assumption that everyone was gonna make partner until surprisingly recently (sometime in the '70s I think? Not exactly sure, so don't hold my feet to the fire on that one).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:41 pm

i know a chick made partner in k&e 4 years after her master degree. the times

speed_the_loot

New

Post by speed_the_loot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Last edited by speed_the_loot on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:18 pm

speed_the_loot wrote:http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007 ... law-review

"He received his law degree in 1958 from Loyola University, where he was editor in chief of the law review.

He joined Baker & McKenzie that year, making partner four years later."
Off topic, but is this a common hobby of yours? Looking at decade old obituaries of attorneys? Compelling stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:28 pm

At some point partners realized they could make fuckloads of money by leveraging salaried associates. Given the number of law students that graduate every year, I don't think they'll ever have an incentive to go back.

New lawyers have a supply problem.

ETA: Looking at this chart it makes sense that they quit making everyone partner in the 1970s.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know a chick made partner in k&e 4 years after her master degree. the times
Kirkland has a non-equity partnership track that makes this type of thing a lot more common. It's not really what OP is referring to though.

speed_the_loot

New

Post by speed_the_loot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Last edited by speed_the_loot on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Partners didn't use to make 10 times more than associates.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:In non-NY markets (or really anyone not on the Cravath system), hiring was done on the assumption that everyone was gonna make partner until surprisingly recently (sometime in the '70s I think? Not exactly sure, so don't hold my feet to the fire on that one).
It's worth noting that these jobs were unavailable to women, Jews, homosexuals and every other minority community so in addition to much fewer people practicing law then, nearly 1/2 of graduates were disqualified from the start. In a booming economy, a white male who didn't completely suck was very valuable because most firms wanted to bring in talent, but didn't want to lose that nice wholesome klan rally feel they prided themselves on.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:58 pm

1. There hasn't been an assumption that all associates would make partner since before the Cravath model rolled out (Paul Cravath spoke on this in 1928, I believe, so I'm guessing we're approaching a century since up-or-out with the assumption of a dair degree of out has been a thing).

2. There wasn't good data until AmLaw et. al. started tracking firm metrics in the 80's. Some might have been 4 years, and some were probably longer. 4 years is probably on the early/exceptional side.

3. Law didn't pay as well, for anybody. It didn't really boom until the 70's, and as DF noted the pay differentials were not as skewed.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:08 pm

jrass wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:In non-NY markets (or really anyone not on the Cravath system), hiring was done on the assumption that everyone was gonna make partner until surprisingly recently (sometime in the '70s I think? Not exactly sure, so don't hold my feet to the fire on that one).
It's worth noting that these jobs were unavailable to women, Jews, homosexuals and every other minority community so in addition to much fewer people practicing law then, nearly 1/2 of graduates were disqualified from the start. In a booming economy, a white male who didn't completely suck was very valuable because most firms wanted to bring in talent, but didn't want to lose that nice wholesome klan rally feel they prided themselves on.
I'm not sure about the other groups, but law schools were almost entirely male in the early 70s and before ( <5% female) so there's not a huge impact there.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:30 pm

speed_the_loot wrote:http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007 ... law-review

"He received his law degree in 1958 from Loyola University, where he was editor in chief of the law review.

He joined Baker & McKenzie that year, making partner four years later."
Welcome to a dying profession.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 am

It's an industry built on convincing smart ambitious types to give up on business oriented or creative pursuits to fucking do paperwork. Equity should come that quickly to make it worthwhile. This job fucking sucks.

From the partnership's POV, though, best to spend more time making sure a potential partner is a dead behind the eyes sociopath. That's what it takes to work these hours for decades while ignoring family, friends, and the pursuit of a more worthwhile career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:i know a chick made partner in k&e 4 years after her master degree. the times
Kirkland has fake partners who are really just senior associates.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's an industry built on convincing smart ambitious types to give up on business oriented or creative pursuits to fucking do paperwork. Equity should come that quickly to make it worthwhile. This job fucking sucks.

From the partnership's POV, though, best to spend more time making sure a potential partner is a dead behind the eyes sociopath. That's what it takes to work these hours for decades while ignoring family, friends, and the pursuit of a more worthwhile career.
Law students aren't really that smart or ambitious. It's Liberal Arts All Stars.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:08 pm

star fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's an industry built on convincing smart ambitious types to give up on business oriented or creative pursuits to fucking do paperwork. Equity should come that quickly to make it worthwhile. This job fucking sucks.

Law students aren't really that smart or ambitious. It's Liberal Arts All Stars.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kirkland has fake partners who are really just senior associates.
that K&E chick laterally to sidley later this year and still a partner.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Michigan firms have 4 year partnership tracks.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:16 pm

PMan99 wrote:
jrass wrote:
I'm not sure about the other groups, but law schools were almost entirely male in the early 70s and before ( <5% female) so there's not a huge impact there.
That's true. It was poor wording. I meant to say among decently intelligent people. Let's assume there are 10 people - 5 men and 5 women, that 60% of people are retarded regardless of gender, and one of every 10 gets a gold star then your odds of getting the star at 10%. If we limit the pool to those who aren't retarded then your odds jump to 25% - you're competing against 3 non-retards. If we eliminate the other gender your odds jump up to 50%. I think Sarah Silverman was the one who joked that if you're a middle aged white male who is protestant/catholic and aren't a millionaire, you'd probably qualify for disability. But women really have a much better impact on these #'s than any other group. Family income, race, nationality are all much more predictive than gender and making a previously sexist profession not sexist immediately doubles the pool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”