Cross-country moving

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cross-country moving

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm wondering about people's experience with moving furniture from NYC to SF. Have a NYC-sized-1BR's worth of furniture. I think my firm provides a stipend of about $3000. After taking a look online, this seems like it won't be enough $$, or will be barely enough.

Anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous User

Re: Cross-country moving

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Rent a U-haul, get a friend/family member, and try to enjoy the week and a half to 2 week road trip with several iconic stops.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rent a U-haul, get a friend/family member, and try to enjoy the week and a half to 2 week road trip with several iconic stops.

Yes, but that option is going to cost WAY more than 3k.

Few options: U-haul or other similar company shipping boxes.. load your crap into there and have the company take it. This will probably require you to move the crap out of your apartment, into a uhaul, and then to another location where you can load it into the shipping box (NYC streets aren't conducive to loading up this type of container).

Or - and what i'd suggest -

Sell as much of your crap as you can, load whats left into a car, and buy new shit when you get there. Assuming you are moving into a 1br i think you could come damn close to furnishing a new apartment from ikea or other discount furniture place for under 3k

sprezz

Bronze

Postby sprezz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:41 pm

the above worked for me. i think the shipping company i used was abf u pack. ended up only having to pay for the sq footage inside the trailer that had my shit in it, so throwing stuff away was still credited. loaded the rest on a u haul, drove it to the freight hub, threw it in the trailer, and met it a week or so later at my new street address. this option was way cheaper than my alternatives at the time

jess

Diamond

Postby jess » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment�