2nd year associate - what to do with SA on resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2nd year associate - what to do with SA on resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:29 am

I'm a second year associate looking to lateral. I haven't fixed my resume in awhile. What should I do with my summer associate position on my resume? I summered at the firm I'm currently at. Thanks in advance.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: 2nd year associate - what to do with SA on resume?

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:54 am

It doesn't really matter.

Based on the resumes I've seen, junior associates tend to keep their SAs on their resumes, even if the SA firm is the same as the current firm. But if you want to remove it because you need space for something else, that's fine.

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Not sure if I'm correctly understanding your question, but you could just write "Summer 2013, Fall 2014 to Present" next to the firm name, and then stuff you've done at the firm below that in bullet points or whatever. People in law will understand what the dates mean.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:04 pm

I've seen Summer Associate positions on resumes/bios of Counsel and Senior Associates where it was a different firm. I would leave it on this point, even though it's the same firm, to show you were hired through the SA program.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:It doesn't really matter.

Based on the resumes I've seen, junior associates tend to keep their SAs on their resumes, even if the SA firm is the same as the current firm. But if you want to remove it because you need space for something else, that's fine.
I guess I know your answer to this based on your response to the OP, but:

If the SA firm isn't on there do you wonder at all about a person getting offered or no offered as a SA?

Or does not getting an offer as a 2L SA even matter at all for someone who is applying as a second year lateral candidate?

(probably silly questions but sometimes people say a low GPA can come back to bite lateral candidates and wondered if a SA no offer could as well)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rpupkin wrote:It doesn't really matter.

I guess I know your answer to this based on your response to the OP, but:

If the SA firm isn't on there do you wonder at all about a person getting offered or no offered as a SA?

Or does not getting an offer as a 2L SA even matter at all for someone who is applying as a second year lateral candidate?

(probably silly questions but sometimes people say a low GPA can come back to bite lateral candidates and wondered if a SA no offer could as well)
Just speaking for myself, my answers are "No" and "Doesn't Matter."

Let me walk that back. If I knew someone was no offered after their 2L summer, and if they were looking to leave their firm after just one year, I may start to wonder if the applicant has a personality problem. But when looking at lateral candidates, I don't even think to look for a summer SA spot on the resume. If it's not there, I guess I just assume that the applicant summered at the firm they're looking to lateral from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”