Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chargers21

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby chargers21 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 pm

chargers21 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Cope wintergreen LC today. Delish.

If I dip long cut that is wintergreen flavored I actually prefer Grizzly.

Did you ever dip Rooster Wintergreen? That shit was GOAT.

I like the buzz from Griz, but it's a little rough on the gums sometimes compared to Cope. I like the cope flavor more.

Never had rooster, but occasionally dabble with Skoal xtra wintergreen, Stoker's, and cheapo brands like Wolf

How is Stokers? They make a Wintergreen I believe. I have been tempted to buy one of those large plastic pails of Stokers and just keep it in my desk. The only thing keeping me from that is I like the immediate clean up factor at work that pouches provides.

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 am

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 am

chargers21 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Cope wintergreen LC today. Delish.

If I dip long cut that is wintergreen flavored I actually prefer Grizzly.

Did you ever dip Rooster Wintergreen? That shit was GOAT.

I like the buzz from Griz, but it's a little rough on the gums sometimes compared to Cope. I like the cope flavor more.

Never had rooster, but occasionally dabble with Skoal xtra wintergreen, Stoker's, and cheapo brands like Wolf

How is Stokers? They make a Wintergreen I believe. I have been tempted to buy one of those large plastic pails of Stokers and just keep it in my desk. The only thing keeping me from that is I like the immediate clean up factor at work that pouches provides.

Stokers gets an A+

I will have to try it out!

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue May 09, 2017 1:44 pm

The internet is a strange place. I've never personally known any attorney who openly admitted to using chewing tobacco. Smokers are exiled to a particular floor of the parking garage. Overall, at least around here, regular tobacco use would not be good for your career.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 pm

nealric wrote:The internet is a strange place. I've never personally known any attorney who openly admitted to using chewing tobacco. Smokers are exiled to a particular floor of the parking garage. Overall, at least around here, regular tobacco use would not be good for your career.

A fair number of the lawyers you know are good at hiding it. Trust me, you know plenty of lawyers who dip.

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

nealric wrote:The internet is a strange place. I've never personally known any attorney who openly admitted to using chewing tobacco. Smokers are exiled to a particular floor of the parking garage. Overall, at least around here, regular tobacco use would not be good for your career.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue May 09, 2017 5:15 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

A fair number of the lawyers you know are good at hiding it. Trust me, you know plenty of lawyers who dip.

I suppose its possible. But even considering more than just attorneys, I've literally never heard another professional so much as mention the word "dip" in a public or private setting. I knew of exactly two smokers in at my last firm with a 200+ attorney office, and they definitely attempted to hide it.

In any event, I don't have the omniscience to know whether I'm surrounded by ninja dippers. It's just weird how the internet looks so different form IRL experience sometimes.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 pm

nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

I suppose its possible. But even considering more than just attorneys, I've literally never heard another professional so much as mention the word "dip" in a public or private setting. I knew of exactly two smokers in at my last firm with a 200+ attorney office, and they definitely attempted to hide it.

In any event, I don't have the omniscience to know whether I'm surrounded by ninja dippers. It's just weird how the internet looks so different form IRL experience sometimes.

Second part is for sure true. Internet is a strange, strange place.

On the dipping note, let me guess, you are in California? Probably SV? Could be wrong, but just a hunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

On the dipping note, let me guess, you are in California? Probably SV? Could be wrong, but just a hunch.

I'm a biglaw corporate midlevel in LA (Los Angeles, as there might be some ambiguity). I used to throw in a digger while working in my office, but my firm moved locations and we now have glass offices. It's horrible. Even with pouches there is no way to do it.

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

I'm a biglaw corporate midlevel in LA (Los Angeles, as there might be some ambiguity). I used to throw in a digger while working in my office, but my firm moved locations and we now have glass offices. It's horrible. Even with pouches there is no way to do it.

You ever tried gutting it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

You ever tried gutting it?

I fully recognize the ramifications to my health by chewing and spitting. Gutting is just throwing another log on the fire.

chargers21

Postby chargers21 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Fully agree with both of you. I can't gut and won't gut. I've tried swallowing some with a drink of Pepsi when I was in an awkward situation and couldn't spit and there is no way in hell I could do that again.

SeewhathappensLarry

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm

I can gut if it's pouches, but definitely not long cut. I had football coaches that would consistently never, ever spit. It was incredible

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed May 10, 2017 10:51 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Not California, but I imagine someone in SV would be looked at like they had two heads if they brought it up.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed May 10, 2017 2:20 pm

nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
nealric wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Not California, but I imagine someone in SV would be looked at like they had two heads if they brought it up.

Yeah, that was my thought as well haha

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 pm

This is a great website! I'm thinking of buying a spittoon.
https://www.mudjug.com

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:12 pm

A lot of law students are currently at their SA or other summer internship or employment gigs. I figured this would be a good time to bump this thread and see if any of them law students that are in new offices for the summer had any input:

Is the use of smokeless tobacco allowed in your office? If there are no formal rules you are aware of prohibiting the use of smokeless tobacco, do you think it would be frowned upon or a punishable offense?

Have you noticed other people in your office dipping smokeless tobacco?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Just a note that non smokers (esp former ones) can smell smokeless tobacco. If you care that a coworker or client might smell it on you.

kellyfrost

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a note that non smokers (esp former ones) can smell smokeless tobacco. If you care that a coworker or client might smell it on you.

What does it smell like? Can you describe the smell to someone who has never smelled it?

Can people who currently smoke not smell smokeless tobacco at all?

Return to “Legal Employment”