Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata
Posts: 1604
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I dipped in my office sometimes during my SA. My office mate was cool with it and literally no one but other summer associates ever stepped foot in my office. I also saw 3 associates dipping in their offices and was even offered a lip by two of them (one was a first year I was pretty cool with and the other was a mid level who saw me notice his can and cup). This was in the nyc office of a nyc based vault firm. I'm not going to advise you one way or the other or say it's a good idea to do, but It is pretty naive to say/think that no one in nyc big law is using smokeless tobacco. I also know of an associate who would puff an e cig in their office


This CAN'T be true! Not in an NYC biglaw firm! People in NYC DO NOT DIP! This is a made up story! Haven't you heard that absolutely no one in NYC would ever dip in their office? Especially, not an SA. I guarantee you got no offered because of this.


Yeah.. this just doesn't happen in NYC big law. Particularly not in the V44.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby baal hadad » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Nekrowizard wrote:This is probably bordering on the too-extreme side of the spectrum, but have you guys tried nicotine patches? I don't want to be the guy who steps outside for a smoke every couple of hours. I have no desire to quit. I might try Camel snus instead. I remember I went through like 10 packs back when they were first released and Camel handed them out for free.


I go gum or lozenges personally. Patches are more of an all day solution, but theres something satisfying about having a craving, doing something, and it going away thats different than a once a day solution.

That's my main concern. I'll look into some gum. Do you have a preferred brand? Does Nicorette or whatever still dominate the market?

They do but nicotine is nicotine, so I go CVS store brand.


CVS store brand is a credited response. Go 4mg, not 2mg, and follow the instructions the first time you do it.

LOL at everyone who thinks they would actually notice someone using snus during a meeting, or that they need to have the god damn thing in for any extended period of time. Folks, this is a 15 minute ordeal, you can't see it when someone is doing it (if they are being discrete), and there is no spit.

Again, not saying that its wise/healthy/professional or remotely acceptable. But i guarantee you 99% of people will get away with it without anyone knowing.

Literally no one can see you use it. I use it at work frequently. It's a nonissue

Patches definitely work. It's for all day yes

Gum is good. Get it at Costco if you can. Get 4mg

The only problem with gums that it's very easy to go through a whole sheet of about 14 or so in a day, and then it gets really expensive

Like $40 a week on fucking gum. Cheaper to dip


I've worried about the gum getting too expensive. I haven't tried the gum yet. Do you actually get a buzz like you do from dip or no? I'm having a hard time imagining that gum can replace the beautiful flavor and buzz of Copenhagen long cut.
Plus, there is something relaxing about spitting into an empty Chipotle cup.

The 4 mg has a bit of a buzz but nowhere near as good as dip

I just like to chew the gum to satisfy the oral fixation part of dip that that patch doesn't do

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:46 pm

The oral fixation and spitting cravings are as bad as the nicotine cravings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Texas - old firm I used to work at, it was basically an open secret. We had a partner who did it in his office all the time, and no one ever seemed to mind. Like others have said, I'm sure it depends on the office, what part of the country, etc.

As long as you do it in your office, with the door closed, and just into a Starbucks cup with a napkin stuffed in it, I can't see how it would cause any problems.

bwh8813
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby bwh8813 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The oral fixation and spitting cravings are as bad as the nicotine cravings.


This is true. I had to use sunflower seeds in the quitting transition. I quit a while ago, and dipping was common in my office, so it made it easier to eat/spit seeds throughout the day than it would in an office where dipping (and likely an alternative like seeds) is frowned upon.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby baal hadad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:14 pm

bwh8813 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The oral fixation and spitting cravings are as bad as the nicotine cravings.


This is true. I had to use sunflower seeds in the quitting transition. I quit a while ago, and dipping was common in my office, so it made it easier to eat/spit seeds throughout the day than it would in an office where dipping (and likely an alternative like seeds) is frowned upon.

I used to do seeds in the office. Wouldn't pack a check full though just a few

No one cared

User avatar
RedGiant
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby RedGiant » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Chew was like barely acceptable among the utility linemen at my old job. I can't imagine a professional legal environment where it would be viewed as anything except wildly inappropriate.
Also, it's repulsive.


Eh, I completely agree it's repulsive. I have worked in investment banking and in biglaw, and I've seen it both places, usually from ridic bros. It's hugely disgusting. No, I don't want to see your dip container/spit/mouthwash bottle/Starbucks cup/wad of dip bulging out of your mouth while you try to act like it's NBD. Has definitely made me think less of my colleagues. That said, I've worked at firms where bro-ishness is rewarded, so...not sure that everyone else was as horrified as I was.

I would never ever dip (especially because I'm a woman), but I can tell you that it made me think, "Wow, I used to respect that atty and think he was pretty smart, but now I can see he's just bro-ish trailer trash with a filthy habit/not smart enough not to dip."

I did respect people who dipped more than the attys that did coke at my firms though, FWIW.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:01 pm

RedGiant wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Chew was like barely acceptable among the utility linemen at my old job. I can't imagine a professional legal environment where it would be viewed as anything except wildly inappropriate.
Also, it's repulsive.


Eh, I completely agree it's repulsive. I have worked in investment banking and in biglaw, and I've seen it both places, usually from ridic bros. It's hugely disgusting. No, I don't want to see your dip container/spit/mouthwash bottle/Starbucks cup/wad of dip bulging out of your mouth while you try to act like it's NBD. Has definitely made me think less of my colleagues. That said, I've worked at firms where bro-ishness is rewarded, so...not sure that everyone else was as horrified as I was.

I would never ever dip (especially because I'm a woman), but I can tell you that it made me think, "Wow, I used to respect that atty and think he was pretty smart, but now I can see he's just bro-ish trailer trash with a filthy habit/not smart enough not to dip."

I did respect people who dipped more than the attys that did coke at my firms though, FWIW.


Re: Women who dip
I will agree it would be strange to work with a woman who dipped all the time, or even dipped like a "bro" as you call it.
However, one time I saw a pretty attractive looking girl pull a can of Skoal pouches (green apple flavor of I remember correctly) out of her purse and put in a dip. I'm not going to lie, it was kind of a turn on. In that moment, she became even more attractive. Those 10 minutes we sat there dipping, and spitting into empty red Dixie cups was almost euphoric. And then it ended and I never saw her again. Didn't even ask for her name. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:07 pm

I work in NYC Big Law at a V20 and while I don't dip, I do smoke cigarettes. I also know several colleagues who dip and MANY who smoke. The idea that smoking is unacceptable is even more naive than those who think no one uses chewing tobacco. As a society it may be frowned upon, and maybe that's no different inside a law firm, but lawyers--especially big law lawyers--tend to be stressed and it's very common in my experience for lawyers to smoke. Obviously those of us that smoke can't run out of the office constantly for a cigarette because we are busy with work--but I take a smoke break several times a day. It is no different than those who take a coffee break. I know many colleagues who do the same.

I don't advertise it and I will go extended periods without having a smoke if I am too busy. But it's not normally an issue for me, and I promise, if you're going to a firm with 300+ people in your office, there will be smokers and dippers.

If you have either of these habits as an SA, just be an adult about it. Monitor your surroundings, see what you can get away with without people knowing. It's generally not advisable to tell people what you're doing (unless you know they are doing the same) and I'd never leave a meeting or conference to fill a nicotine craving. But you can get away with doing these things pretty easily. I have.

Most people at your firm are too busy to pay attention to what you're doing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:18 pm

I don't know what the debate is. Nobody cares what you do in your office if it doesn't impact your work, their work or subject the firm to risk. Odds are the person next door has a spouse and kids or at least a lot of loans, and 20 things they have to. The situations where it's inappropriate are more about the fact you decided to dip then and there than the fact you tipped. Like others have said its uncommon because dipping is unconmon. End.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what the debate is. Nobody cares what you do in your office if it doesn't impact your work, their work or subject the firm to risk. Odds are the person next door has a spouse and kids or at least a lot of loans, and 20 things they have to. The situations where it's inappropriate are more about the fact you decided to dip then and there than the fact you tipped. Like others have said its uncommon because dipping is unconmon. End.


You clearly have no familiarity or experience with it. That worries me, because it isn't "uncommon" at all, as evidenced by the fact that it is a thread with over 57 replies! If you are so heedless with such as thing as this, it makes me wonder what else has completely went over your head in your personal life, professional life, and the practice of law.

eagle2a
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby eagle2a » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:54 am

Tobacco should be banned

yay Hillary

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 18497
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby suralin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:03 am

eagle2a wrote:Tobacco should be banned

yay Hillary

weird post. take a lap

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 15315
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Serett » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what the debate is. Nobody cares what you do in your office if it doesn't impact your work, their work or subject the firm to risk. Odds are the person next door has a spouse and kids or at least a lot of loans, and 20 things they have to. The situations where it's inappropriate are more about the fact you decided to dip then and there than the fact you tipped. Like others have said its uncommon because dipping is unconmon. End.


You clearly have no familiarity or experience with it. That worries me, because it isn't "uncommon" at all, as evidenced by the fact that it is a thread with over 57 replies! If you are so heedless with such as thing as this, it makes me wonder what else has completely went over your head in your personal life, professional life, and the practice of law.


Excellent anoning.

User avatar
TFALAWL
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby TFALAWL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby kellyfrost » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 pm

TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.

Cant_stump_trump2020
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Cant_stump_trump2020 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.


@KellyFrost here's the thing about chewing/dipping in general. As dippers, we know what it looks like and when someone is doing it. To an outsider, most don't even know what the hell dip is, let alone when someone is doing it (unless you're just spitting brown slush on the ground, even then they may just think you have gross looking spit). I worked in a courthouse and frequently dipped at my desk, and I'd be visited by clerks, secretaries, and lawyers frequently. Nobody said, or even made it seem like they were any the wiser. Just be smart about it. Don't spit in clear bottles. If you spit in a cup, ensure there are napkins and a lid to keep the minty smell away.

That being said - to your snus comment, the reason you may not be getting a buzz is because of how small those pouches are, depending on how big of pinches you usually take. If I was running around in court, or dealing with clients, and the urge was unbearable, I'd sometimes chunk in two or three snus pouches and it did the trick. Here's another pro-tip, try biting down on the snus pouch softly to release more of the flavor, and some of the tobacco will come out of the pouch too, increasing the flavor.

But I'd echo other users here, don't do it in meetings, conference room, etc.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 1604
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.


The gum is worse, IMO. But ya they definitely aren't as strong. Large Frost or Large wintergreen pack more of a punch. Make sure the container says "large" -- the other ones are TINY. The large ones are more comparable to a skoal pouch.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Cant_stump_trump2020 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.


@KellyFrost here's the thing about chewing/dipping in general. As dippers, we know what it looks like and when someone is doing it. To an outsider, most don't even know what the hell dip is, let alone when someone is doing it (unless you're just spitting brown slush on the ground, even then they may just think you have gross looking spit). I worked in a courthouse and frequently dipped at my desk, and I'd be visited by clerks, secretaries, and lawyers frequently. Nobody said, or even made it seem like they were any the wiser. Just be smart about it. Don't spit in clear bottles. If you spit in a cup, ensure there are napkins and a lid to keep the minty smell away.

That being said - to your snus comment, the reason you may not be getting a buzz is because of how small those pouches are, depending on how big of pinches you usually take. If I was running around in court, or dealing with clients, and the urge was unbearable, I'd sometimes chunk in two or three snus pouches and it did the trick. Here's another pro-tip, try biting down on the snus pouch softly to release more of the flavor, and some of the tobacco will come out of the pouch too, increasing the flavor.

But I'd echo other users here, don't do it in meetings, conference room, etc.


Thanks for the response about dipping in general as well as the pro-tip on the snus.

After reading through the responses on the forum, I guess dipping is just something that I will try and keep private or on the down low at work.

Since golf season is already starting up, what is the dipping etiquette on the golf course? Just don't spit on the greens? In the past, I have just dipped freely and abstained from spitting on the greens. I typically golf with buddies or strangers, but I have a few work related golf outings going on this summer. I guess I could just not dip during them, but once you are out playing golf and enjoying the nice weather and a few beers, a dip just tops of the the already lovely afternoon game.

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby baal hadad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Cant_stump_trump2020 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.


@KellyFrost here's the thing about chewing/dipping in general. As dippers, we know what it looks like and when someone is doing it. To an outsider, most don't even know what the hell dip is, let alone when someone is doing it (unless you're just spitting brown slush on the ground, even then they may just think you have gross looking spit). I worked in a courthouse and frequently dipped at my desk, and I'd be visited by clerks, secretaries, and lawyers frequently. Nobody said, or even made it seem like they were any the wiser. Just be smart about it. Don't spit in clear bottles. If you spit in a cup, ensure there are napkins and a lid to keep the minty smell away.

That being said - to your snus comment, the reason you may not be getting a buzz is because of how small those pouches are, depending on how big of pinches you usually take. If I was running around in court, or dealing with clients, and the urge was unbearable, I'd sometimes chunk in two or three snus pouches and it did the trick. Here's another pro-tip, try biting down on the snus pouch softly to release more of the flavor, and some of the tobacco will come out of the pouch too, increasing the flavor.

But I'd echo other users here, don't do it in meetings, conference room, etc.


Thanks for the response about dipping in general as well as the pro-tip on the snus.

After reading through the responses on the forum, I guess dipping is just something that I will try and keep private or on the down low at work.

Since golf season is already starting up, what is the dipping etiquette on the golf course? Just don't spit on the greens? In the past, I have just dipped freely and abstained from spitting on the greens. I typically golf with buddies or strangers, but I have a few work related golf outings going on this summer. I guess I could just not dip during them, but once you are out playing golf and enjoying the nice weather and a few beers, a dip just tops of the the already lovely afternoon game.

Although I too love dip during golf just do cigars

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:18 pm

baal hadad wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
Cant_stump_trump2020 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:I'm a smoker but I don't chew.

During my SA in SoCal, I just put on a patch + used 2/3 lozenges throughout the day when i would take a 5 minute mental break.

If it was a late night and I was the only one on my floor at the office, I would go outside (the doorman thought this was funny).

The couple of associates who knew I smoked appreciated my discretion and conceded that it would not be looked on highly, but also didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (and a couple were able to relate as former smokers).

As far as Snus goes --> no way in hell would you get caught; I used to do that shit in high school, in class, and never got caught.


I just tried the Suns for the first time after reading about it on this thread. While it is perfectly concealable, and as you say, you'll never get caught, but it doesn't get me my nicotine fix. I don't notice any buzz. Didn't help the craving. I'm thinking that my craving is for the chew flavor and the act of spitting -- as odd or bad as that sounds.
I think I might give the gum a try next see if it helps.


@KellyFrost here's the thing about chewing/dipping in general. As dippers, we know what it looks like and when someone is doing it. To an outsider, most don't even know what the hell dip is, let alone when someone is doing it (unless you're just spitting brown slush on the ground, even then they may just think you have gross looking spit). I worked in a courthouse and frequently dipped at my desk, and I'd be visited by clerks, secretaries, and lawyers frequently. Nobody said, or even made it seem like they were any the wiser. Just be smart about it. Don't spit in clear bottles. If you spit in a cup, ensure there are napkins and a lid to keep the minty smell away.

That being said - to your snus comment, the reason you may not be getting a buzz is because of how small those pouches are, depending on how big of pinches you usually take. If I was running around in court, or dealing with clients, and the urge was unbearable, I'd sometimes chunk in two or three snus pouches and it did the trick. Here's another pro-tip, try biting down on the snus pouch softly to release more of the flavor, and some of the tobacco will come out of the pouch too, increasing the flavor.

But I'd echo other users here, don't do it in meetings, conference room, etc.


Thanks for the response about dipping in general as well as the pro-tip on the snus.

After reading through the responses on the forum, I guess dipping is just something that I will try and keep private or on the down low at work.

Since golf season is already starting up, what is the dipping etiquette on the golf course? Just don't spit on the greens? In the past, I have just dipped freely and abstained from spitting on the greens. I typically golf with buddies or strangers, but I have a few work related golf outings going on this summer. I guess I could just not dip during them, but once you are out playing golf and enjoying the nice weather and a few beers, a dip just tops of the the already lovely afternoon game.

Although I too love dip during golf just do cigars


There are few things better than dipping while playing golf. Although a huge kipper after a big meal is close.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby kellyfrost » Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 am

I played in a golf scramble yesterday and I almost went through an entire can of Copenhagen.

Tankeryanker
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby Tankeryanker » Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm

I used snus to quit smoking when I was working in a large PR firm and smoking was frowned upon. No one ever knew

I used the General licorice snus from Sweeden. This was before the shipping costs went sky high.

It was pretty darn strong, but I never had to spit. Snus is the bomb for getting off of cigs. I allowed myself to snus for two years and then quit that as well.

Yep, I am a chick and all tobacco free for eight years. Saved enough money from not smoking to fund horse shows in 2010.

User avatar
kellyfrost
Posts: 5898
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 am

I've been trying snus but it isn't doing anything for me. Does it even have nicotien? Nicorett gum packs more of a punch.

User avatar
ronanOgara
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Use of Smokeless Tobacco (Chewing Tobbaco) In Office Setting

Postby ronanOgara » Sat May 28, 2016 10:59 am

kellyfrost wrote:I've been trying snus but it isn't doing anything for me. Does it even have nicotien? Nicorett gum packs more of a punch.


What kind you buying? Camel snus is weak and you usually have to tell the cashier to make sure they get the large pouches. The regular camel snus size is tiny.

Sometimes I'll pack two at a time.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.