In House Jobs and Bar Admission Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In House Jobs and Bar Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

This may be a dumb question, but as someone dealing with potential bar admission problems I am hoping for a certain answer here..

Say you were licensed in State X and worked as a lawyer at a firm in that state. An in-house opportunity presents itself in State Y, do you necessarily need to be admitted in State Y to take that job?

zot1

Gold

Re: In House Jobs and Bar Admission

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:08 pm

It will depend on the company and the type of work that you will be doing. I know in-house counsel who have bar admission from a different state to where they practice because they do purely transactional work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:32 pm

zot1 wrote:It will depend on the company and the type of work that you will be doing. I know in-house counsel who have bar admission from a different state to where they practice because they do purely transactional work.
Sorry, I meant to clarify that point - I am asking only about transactional work

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 pm

I would just read on the state's rules of professional responsibility and you can find an answer or contact the bar.

However, most states have an exception where if you are licensed in State A you can be licensed as in house counsel only in State B without taking a bar exam. Once you start reading the rules of different states I think you'll find that the state bars have realized how big of a pain in the ass the situation could be for in house counsel so they have relaxed the rules quite a bit.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:23 am

kellyfrost wrote:I would just read on the state's rules of professional responsibility and you can find an answer or contact the bar.

However, most states have an exception where if you are licensed in State A you can be licensed as in house counsel only in State B without taking a bar exam. Once you start reading the rules of different states I think you'll find that the state bars have realized how big of a pain in the ass the situation could be for in house counsel so they have relaxed the rules quite a bit.
But would this require being accepted by the bar association of the state in which you work? I know the bar exam may not be necessary, but is it necessary to pass a C&F etc. ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

murdock83

New

Post by murdock83 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:51 am

It really depends on the state. I looked into the requirements of several because I wanted to avoid having to take another bar. Each has its own requirement for General Counsel. Some require you to be licensed in that state, some do not. I believe some require you to register with that State's bar in some respect. It also seems that some employers require to you have a license in that state regardless of the Bar rules, while some simply require you to be licensed.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:This may be a dumb question, but as someone dealing with potential bar admission problems I am hoping for a certain answer here..

Say you were licensed in State X and worked as a lawyer at a firm in that state. An in-house opportunity presents itself in State Y, do you necessarily need to be admitted in State Y to take that job?
Generally, no. I am not admitted in the state where I practice in-house. Bar rules are fairly permissive for out of state attorneys here.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 am

Removed post...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”