1L Summer at a Union Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
throwawaypeggy

New

1L Summer at a Union

Post by throwawaypeggy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm a 1L at a T14 school, and I'm spending my summer at a union. I took the job primarily because I was awarded a Peggy Browning fellowship, and I was under the impression that would look good to people on the worker side in the labor and employment world. Everyone I've spoken to at my school, though, seems really shocked that I'm going to spend my summer at a union - and I'm starting to think I made a bad move.

I'm coming to TLS for some advice. I want to work at a plaintiff side employment firm eventually -- probably not a labor firm. And I might want to do on campus recruiting for biglaw lit, for the $$ and resume boost. Have I pigeonholed myself by taking this job?

zot1

Gold

Re: 1L Summer at a Union

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I really don't think so. It'll be good experience no matter how you look at it. I work government side and wish I had some Union experience already.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Have you pigeonholed yourself into doing labor work by taking the union gig during your 1L summer? If that's your question, the answer is: no.

Even if you don't intend to do union work, it has a way of occasionally falling into your lap if you do plaintiffs side L&E, so some experience will be helpful in any event.

throwawaypeggy

New

Post by throwawaypeggy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for the replies, that's good to hear. Relatedly, any idea about how can I best position myself for plaintiff L&E work at one of the top firms?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:04 pm

throwawaypeggy wrote:Thanks for the replies, that's good to hear. Relatedly, any idea about how can I best position myself for plaintiff L&E work at one of the top firms?
Keep doing what you're doing. I'd try to get some experience with FLSA and/or ERISA work along the way. Take class action courses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm

throwawaypeggy wrote:Everyone I've spoken to at my school, though, seems really shocked that I'm going to spend my summer at a union - and I'm starting to think I made a bad move.
As a general piece of advice, really don't put any weight into other 1Ls opinions of what is/is not a good job or career move for you. Taken overall, 1Ls are enormously ignorant of what actually matters and how particular fields work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:44 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
throwawaypeggy wrote:Everyone I've spoken to at my school, though, seems really shocked that I'm going to spend my summer at a union - and I'm starting to think I made a bad move.
As a general piece of advice, really don't put any weight into other 1Ls opinions of what is/is not a good job or career move for you. Taken overall, 1Ls are enormously ignorant of what actually matters and how particular fields work.
That's good advice. It's hard not to get caught up, though. Do you have any thoughts on worker vs management side L&E work? Any idea which is the better lifestyle -- taking into account job satisfaction, hours, pay, etc. Thanks so far.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Most "top firms" do defense side L&E.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
That's good advice. It's hard not to get caught up, though. Do you have any thoughts on worker vs management side L&E work? Any idea which is the better lifestyle -- taking into account job satisfaction, hours, pay, etc. Thanks so far.
This is highly firm dependent. Pay is going to favor management side in most cases. Job satisfaction largely depends on what type of work you want to do and what the firm does. I work plaintiff's side L&E (happy to answer any questions) but largely only on a class basis so we get some pretty good cases and the opportunity to make some good law. I think I would slit my wrists if I worked at another plaintiff's side firm that took on a bunch of smaller, shitty cases and I went home every night feeling more like I was harassing some business owner than actually helping people out.

Hours are going to vary too widely to have any meaningful discussion on. Will depend on the size of the firm, the type of work your handling, firm culture, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:12 pm

zot1 wrote:Most "top firms" do defense side L&E.
I understand that's true in the traditional sense of "top firms" (Vault rankings), but there are top plaintiff side firms, too.
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
This is highly firm dependent. Pay is going to favor management side in most cases. Job satisfaction largely depends on what type of work you want to do and what the firm does. I work plaintiff's side L&E (happy to answer any questions) but largely only on a class basis so we get some pretty good cases and the opportunity to make some good law. I think I would slit my wrists if I worked at another plaintiff's side firm that took on a bunch of smaller, shitty cases and I went home every night feeling more like I was harassing some business owner than actually helping people out.

Hours are going to vary too widely to have any meaningful discussion on. Will depend on the size of the firm, the type of work your handling, firm culture, etc.
Are you working in a major market? If so, what are your hiring practices like (if you know)? I think I'd like to work in a similar environment, class-action wage and hour stuff, etc. Would you mind giving me a brief run through of what your day to day work is like? Is it a lot of sifting through discovery? Do you have any insight on exit ops for associates that don't make partner at these types of firms?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Shoot me a PM

miobrien

New

Post by miobrien » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:00 pm

throwawaypeggy wrote:I'm a 1L at a T14 school, and I'm spending my summer at a union. I took the job primarily because I was awarded a Peggy Browning fellowship, and I was under the impression that would look good to people on the worker side in the labor and employment world. Everyone I've spoken to at my school, though, seems really shocked that I'm going to spend my summer at a union - and I'm starting to think I made a bad move.

I'm coming to TLS for some advice. I want to work at a plaintiff side employment firm eventually -- probably not a labor firm. And I might want to do on campus recruiting for biglaw lit, for the $$ and resume boost. Have I pigeonholed myself by taking this job?
What you do during your 1L summer doesn't matter. What matters is having legal experience on your resume. You can do anything. As long as it's a legal job. Sure, some positions are arguably better than others; for example, an internship in the chambers of a judge on the Second Circuit isn't easy to get. But, in the end, the person who worked there doesn't have that much of a leg up on you.

Again, what matters is the fact that you have a job.

IMO: Grades are most important. Everything else is secondary.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 pm

FWIW: the happiest and least stressed lawyer I know is a lawyer for a union. It can be a great gig but people in law school may not know about it.

Sounds like you have a great gig lined up. Enjoy it and learn a lot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Former Peggy Browning Fellow at T14 going to P-side/union-side firm here. Did OCI as a hedge and never heard a bad word or caught so much as a sideways glance from any BL firms. Enjoy your summer!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:32 pm

I quite appreciate the encouragement here. Worker side L&E seems like a good way to find fulfillment in my career and get a decent paycheck, but it's disconcerting when so many people seem to look down on the work.
Anonymous User wrote:Former Peggy Browning Fellow at T14 going to P-side/union-side firm here. Did OCI as a hedge and never heard a bad word or caught so much as a sideways glance from any BL firms. Enjoy your summer!
Mind sharing a bit about what kind of firm you'll be working at? Is this for 2L summer or full time?

throwawaypeggy

New

Post by throwawaypeggy » Tue May 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Bump for any more thoughts here on how to get to a quality P side firm. I'm also interested on what plaintiffs' firm associates do if/when they don't make partner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”