Judicial internships during the semester.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Judicial internships during the semester.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 am

Currently a 1L with two summer positions locked-up.

Would it be worth my time to intern with a federal judge during the fall semester?

I want to apply, but I'm not sure if it is needed, since 2L OCI would happen by then.

Thank you

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Judicial internships during the semester.

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am

Yes. Absolutely do it. I have quite a bit of experience w/ these positions.. feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Londonbear

Bronze

Postby Londonbear » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:43 pm

What are your reservations about doing it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 am

OP here.

Biggest issue I would have with doing it is time.

I have a fed. judicial internship this summer, but I guess it doesn't help to do one again in the fall. If not for 2L OCI, then to work and practice my research and writing skills.

Thanks for all that have helped!

If anyone would like to chime in, please feel free to do so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 am

I'm curious about this as well. Obviously these internships aren't as good as clerking after graduation, but how much do employers really value them? I'm having trouble deciding whether the time commitment is worth the resume building.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I have a fed. judicial internship this summer, but I guess it doesn't help to do one again in the fall. If not for 2L OCI, then to work and practice my research and writing skills.

These positions are generally pretty good gigs, you get some pretty good substantive experience on things you can handle. That said, as far as a resume boost alone, not sure what additional value a second internship would give you. Have you thought about asking your summer judge if you can stay on through the fall or vice versa? Honestly it seems like about the time you will get the hang of things with Judge A over the summer, you will have to reset and get familiar with Judge B's clerks, style, etc. over fall semester. Also, as a former clerk who supervised interns both in the summer and during semesters, it is a lot harder to get up to speed and get good experience during the semester when you are only coming in a few hours a week. To the extent the fall semester could be with the same judge, it would be a lot easier to find some continuity.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:41 am

If you hope to clerk, then do it as many judges hire former interns and/or someone who has interned with a colleague. At least for me, my summer externship certainly helped me land a clerkship and other interviews in the same district. Also, I'd prefer doing an externship over class, so there's that. But as far as OCI goes, it's a great summer 1l job but it's not going to overly impress anyone; don't double-down on a federal externship with the hope of it helping you somehow get biglaw if you struck out at oci -- to the extent it gets you a clerkship down the road, then yes it would, but it generally won't add any boost by itself.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 am

The time commitment is not a huge concern. Particularly at the federal court. Myself (and many of my classmates) were able to work remotely and on flexible schedules.

As for the experience, I loved it. Gained some legitimate, real life writing experience with little to no stress. And the credits are nice to..

ETA: as far as how much employers value them... I don't know if it truly plays a meaningful role, but it is something I have seen on many associate's firm bios. If its something the firm is willing to publish, it probably is looked upon favorably.

Londonbear

Bronze

Postby Londonbear » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

These positions are generally pretty good gigs, you get some pretty good substantive experience on things you can handle. That said, as far as a resume boost alone, not sure what additional value a second internship would give you. Have you thought about asking your summer judge if you can stay on through the fall or vice versa? Honestly it seems like about the time you will get the hang of things with Judge A over the summer, you will have to reset and get familiar with Judge B's clerks, style, etc. over fall semester. Also, as a former clerk who supervised interns both in the summer and during semesters, it is a lot harder to get up to speed and get good experience during the semester when you are only coming in a few hours a week. To the extent the fall semester could be with the same judge, it would be a lot easier to find some continuity.

I agree with the bolded part in general about externships during the semester while you're studying. I did an externship at a fed. agency and it just isn't the same as those who are there full time. And you're already doing one over the summer, so I don't think it would be a substantial boost unless it's with a higher court, but then the bolded part applies. You can do other externships or clinics to get more varied experience or focused experience (if you know what you want to do). Law school may be the only time to be able to do these things, or at least the easiest time to be able to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment�